A little help, no critizim please

Jessica S.
on 4/9/13 10:42 pm - Ottawa, Canada

So it's been almost 3 weeks that I have had surgery and so much is making me gag. I am having a very difficult time getting my multivitamins in. I had been crushing them and putting them in my FF pudding but now every time I go to eat it I want to puke. I am the same with any added protein. I have been trying to eat foods that are higher in protein so I can focus less on added protein for the moment. I just feel like my taste buds are so screwed up.  Please tell me pills and food will go down easier?

I know I am just three weeks out so I need to relax a little and keep working up to everything but it's so frustrating because I think about it so much and I feel so disappointed in myself. Before surgery I was like I will write everything down, take every vitamin, eat so well but I haven't managed to get any fruits and barely any veggies in yet. Everything taste so bad and then my pills (broken in half) feel like they get stuck. I think the only thing going well and helping is I have been able to drink so much milk so I don't feel as guilty about the calcium right now. I am going to call the doctor to ask if I can get B12 injections instead for the moment to help with not taking that one.

Did anyone else have trouble like this in the first few weeks? Please I already know how important my vitamins are, I am not skipping them because I want to, I am serious when I say am having such gag reflex with my pills. I want to do this right but feel disapointedp in myself right now.

Catw
on 4/9/13 10:53 pm, edited 4/9/13 10:53 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Besides out taste buds change after surgery, not sure many people actually taste crushed up pills before surgery to get an idea as to what they will face for a while after surgery.

As for the multivitimins, they will taste very bitter when crushed.  Try using something else to put them in, like applesauce (it's easier to eat than apples).  You can also try sucking on an ice cube before taking your multivitimins, that's suggested for kids when you have to give them medicine,  As for the B12, there are strips and sublingual (put them under your toungue and they disolve).  As for Calcium, there is a liquid version, or chewable versions out there to try.  You can also take the softchews for a couple months, until you can swallow pills.  If you need pills split, try in smaller pieces.

As for added protein, if it doesn't agree don't add it to things.  If you feel you need extra protein, drink a shake.  If you can't drink the milk based ones, there are ones that are more like juice.

For the fruit and veggies, it will come, as long as you get your protein in first, then you can add stuff like produce. Or make it into a sauce to put on the meat.

Every journey has bumps, you'll figure this one out.

Cathy

Nanato2
on 4/9/13 11:04 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Jessica

It will get better first try and relax it takes some time to get this all down you have to find what works for you. I could not take the crushed pills I would want to puke from the taste so I bought chewable vitamins so much better, as for the added protein powder I tried that as well and in sf pudding and wanted to puke so i didn't use it I used the protein drinks I bought at Costco Premier protein shakes started with drink one throughout the day and then got up to two.

You have to try different things until you find what is right for you but eventually it will all settled down just takes time. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

aidan
on 4/9/13 11:39 pm - Canada
It will come! I had the exact same reaction with crushed pills so I switched to Jamieson chewables which are great. I also started with jamieson b12 strips ( taste like cinnamon). Good luck!

Kory !
on 4/10/13 4:34 am

can I ask what chewable vitamins are you using, I know you said Jamieson, but I was wondering the name/flavour

LORICARD
on 4/9/13 11:46 pm - Canada

I get my calcium  + vitamin D at costco you get two large liquid bottles for $16 i think the one i have taste like orange creamsicle.

Monica M.
on 4/9/13 11:46 pm, edited 4/9/13 11:49 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

Jessica, Please go easy on yourself. Things will improve. you do need to relax and just listen to your body, and don't force it to do things you can't tolerate. That being said, it is extremely important for you to be able to get those vitamins in.

How much protein are you managing in a day? Remember that, if you get enough protein in naturally, you don't need supplements.

have you tried a liquid multivitamin? (there may also be some tolerance issues with this)

Try the ice cube trick, it does 'deaden' your taste buds.

fruits and veggies will come in time. try applesauce, or pureeing veg and fruit into other things.

deep breaths. you can do this.

ETA - the B12 injections are an awesome idea, btw.

willowraine
on 4/9/13 11:55 pm - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13
Crushed pills are nasty so I completely understand why you are having trouble with them. There are chewable ones that aren't too bad, I was on Life brand at first.

As for the veggies....I am 9 weeks out and still having trouble with most veggies. I'm a little worried about it but figure it will come with time. One thing I have been doing is adding spinach to my morning smoothie, it's not a lot but its something.

Try different protein powders. Go to a place where you can try them first, such as Popeyes. I bought a vanilla one that I use in my smoothie and it tastes pretty good.

Referral Aug/11, transferred to HRRH May/12, Orientation July 4/12, Surgeon July 17/12,     RD, SW  Aug 3/12, RN Aug 22/12, Dr. Glazer/Sleep Study Sept/12, Surgeon Nov 2/12, 1st surgery date (cancelled due to to sickness) Dec 13/12, Re-scheduled for Feb 6/13

jewel-twin
on 4/10/13 12:05 am - Canada

babe at 3 weeks you should just focus on water and protein.  Its hard... not easy at all... first two weeks I just did water and protein shakes... week 3 I started VERY slowly on really watery stuff... like soups, chili always seems to go down ok... try adding some unflavored protein powder (sold at bulk barn) to soups and chilis and stews....

You are doing it... honestly you are... I never imagined it would be so hard to fit everything in... I am 7 weeks yesterday and I STILL don't get enough protein....

perhaps yogurts, cheese, dairy products have both cals and protein....

Juls

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

mona8
on 4/10/13 12:16 am - Kingston, Canada
I hear ya!!! The multi vitamins are not only the nastiest things I've ever tasted but no matter how much I crush them I feel the texture of egg shells. The only way I've managed to get them down is in applesauce with sweetener mixed in, but even then YUCK!!!

Ref- Aug 2011, Orient ( OWMC )- Nov 11, Transfer to Kingston- May 12, NP, DT,SW,H-pylori ( neg ), BW, Ab US,- Jul 12, NP return Aug 12 ( HBA1C 8.2 ), started insulin - Sept 12, Diabetic Opti Clinic-Jan 11 13 ( HBA1C 7.0 ), pre-op class- Feb 6 13, Surgeon Feb 22 2013 ( Dr. Hagen HRRH ), Dr. Glazier March 18 2013, PATTS Mar 12 2013, Opti Mar 21 2013 Surgery April 4 2013.

Most Active
Recent Topics