Struggling I cant deny it any longer

PaulaToronto
on 4/16/13 6:02 pm - Toronto, Canada

Wow, I am not even eating 1200 calories a day 15 months post surgery.  AT that calorie intake I gain weight.

She is doing the right thing following her clinic's advice as she still has a ways to go in terms of reaching her goal.  Sticking to 700-800 is the weight loss phase for many surgeons until you reach your goal weight. Then add 100 calories every two weeks and see what happens with your body weight.  If you have gain then go back to 800 until you are back to goal weight and go up by 50 a week.  Each person's body and metabolism varies and what whey can consume to lose and maintain really various.  Age plays a role too.  I gained and lost so many times before surgery, my metabolism is shot.  As we don't know the full story I think the poster should be speaking to her team.

Are you measuring out your food and eating protein first and only if there is extra room add a few low carb veg. How many carbs are you eating a day. If you are choosing to eat carbs like potatoes or corn before you eat your protein, yes you will be hungry because the carbs are vultures and make you hungry.

That's why it is important to honestly mark down what you are truly eating and drinking.

Are you struggling with emotional hunger or true belly hunger. Let us know so maybe we can help you a bit more.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

birdiegirl
on 4/16/13 6:11 pm

Hey Trucking;

I feel for you....because you really do eventually want to get to a place where you actually enjoy eating again......

This lifestyle will NEVER be easy......and it will ALWAYS take more effort then un-moderated un-thinking eating of the past.  Some days I just get so tired of thinking of what I am going to eat for the day ....every stinking day.....HOWEVER....the alternative isn't acceptable to me.....

Marny gave you some good advice re taking a day a month...and cooking up some wls friendly foods to portion out and freeze....it saves me from at least having to think of whats for lunch every day at work

Sensitive pouch- this is a toughy....because you have to find a way to marry your sensitivity to your likes and dislikes....can you try some different foods?.....turkey bacon and becel would not agree with me either.....but ham or peameal bacon works great.....mix it up and find some foods that agree....you may think you have tried everything out there.....trust me there is more to eat that maybe you need to experiment with..

Calories - I would ask first where your protein levels are......700 calories of mostly protein will keep me satisfied....if I am eating bread....crackers.....I will be hungry in 30 minutes.....and will have consumed empty calories.....how about seeing what you are eating - protein-fat and carb wise....rather then just calories.......you need to see the whole picture rather then just one aspect....maybe you are already doing this....but I dont know by the post

I dont want to see you get discouraged....and I can sure hear it in your words......you cant live your life hungry....nor afraid of food.....we have to figure out our relationship and get in charge of it....

Good luck.....if I can help - either PM me or list your foods and amounts on the What are you eating today thread.....

truckingbride
on 4/16/13 8:50 pm - Harriston , Canada

I had a gigantic ulcer from 3 weeks out until last week at my last gastroscope I am 2 prevacid a day and sulcrate as needed. Yes I am sticking with my 700 calories a day I was near 900 last I was there she cut me to 700  I am still loosing weight of course. I work out 2-3 days a week in the evenings.

My protein intake is about 25-34 grams a day on average according to fitness pal. thank you everyone for your tidbits i will review them and brainstorm later on today frown

birdiegirl
on 4/16/13 10:39 pm

Hey Kiddo......25-34 grams of protein is just not enough....no wonder you are hungry all the time......

Try eating some dense protein.....mix with fluids...tomatoes.....gravy if you need it to help you get it down....chicken....eggs.....meat.....try and get at least 500 of those calories in dense protein to curb your hunger.......

Yogurt....crackers....breads....so many foods are slider foods for us....meaning they dont stay in your pouch long enough.....you need something with staying power.....

mermaidz
on 4/18/13 9:36 am - Brampton, Canada

You're so smart....and right

Thanks for sharing this-it was very timely :)

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Patm
on 4/16/13 10:52 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have been told to eat at least 60g of protein a day. I often use either protein bars or protein powder to up it. But many are able to get their protein from food. I find i am very seldom hungry with the protein I take in

Good luck on finding you way. We  are all cheering you on

PaulaToronto
on 4/17/13 11:40 am - Toronto, Canada

You are way too low on protein and no wonder you are hungry.  Try adding a protein drink to get a minimum of another 30gr of protein per day. Eat your protein first - weigh out 2-3 ounces.  Only if you have extra room have some carbs like veg or fruit.  I am not sure when your surgery was so can't help you more unless you give us a list of a daily food intake.

Use a bit of mayo to soften tuna or eggs. Make scramble eggs with a bit of  cheddar and cook only until soft. I ate a lot of soft fish like tilapia.  For some reason steak went down better than chicken for me.  Could not handle chicken till like 5 months out and then only dark meat.  Stay away from ground meats if they are an issue for you.  Are you lactose intolerant? That could also cause tummy issues. But I think your main issue may be your choices and making sure you eat slowly with small bites and giving yourself time to see what you can tolerate. If you have to go back to mushies and liquids that is OK.  Everyone progresses at their own pace.  Your job is to get your protein in to gain energy and to heal. 

Let us know how you are doing. It is hard but you will get it.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

twins4meplus1
on 4/18/13 11:24 am - St Thomas, Canada

You are way, way low on protein. Most people do 60 or more grams per day. Up your protein and you will probably not feel physical hunger any more. Head hunger is a totally different matter. Find foods that work for you. I and many others I have talked to eat the same things over and over again because they work for us, are easy to prepare and we like them. Cheese, eggs, turkey pepperettes, greek yogurt, milk, lean deli meats, leftover protein from last nights dinner...

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

dna
on 4/16/13 11:30 pm - Canada

That is not enough protein.  I would be hungry too !  700 calories is do-able if it's dense proteins.  How are you with eggs and chicken ?  soft white fish and salmon ?  All those things keep me full and have lower calories but higher proteins.  Eat that, then some veggies, then if you have room some complex carbs. 

It is hard.  I agree.  There are days when I don't want to constantly carry a drink with me or eat anything that I am supposed to.

I am almost 8 months out and my calories are usually around 900 - 1000 .. I walk and bounce but that's about it for exercise  !  I am still losing (slow though)

You aren't alone though.  There are many of us who struggle daily.  It's perfectly ok.  You have had a rough go with the ulcer so I can see you being even more frustrated.

Big Hugs !

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics