What's "normal" hunger a few days past surgery?

esther_cyw
on 4/29/13 10:59 am - Canada
RNY on 04/26/13

I had no hunger Day 1 & 2 while in hospital and a little yesterday (first day home) but then ran into horrible lactose (or something yucky) issues which caused hours of gurgling and diarreha and even bringing up curdled shake.  So...day 2 at home (which is day 4 of healing) I'm really hungry.  Not so much so that I have any urge to cheat, but hungry.  I guess to be fair, I've only had 2 "Premier Prootein" shakes = 160X2 Calories so...320 Calories today + one cup of chicken broth.  I'm of course sipping tiny sips and taking over an hour or more to finish each shake.  Compared to my usual likely over 2000 Calories in my old world, that's tiny but I've gotten used to my Opti rare hunger.  What's normal here? How hungry were all of you in your first week, about 4 days into healing?

Nanato2
on 4/29/13 11:13 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I did not have any real hunger mine was actual head hunger. I just learned to ignore it even now I do not have any real hunger the way I know I am hungry is I get a empty feeling in my tummy like oh I need to eat something. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/13 12:39 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

Everyone is different....that's one thing you have to learn.

I had a lil hunger today but most of the time i dont care to eat....tonight being the example....I realized only at 7pm, i had not ate anything all day!

Not healthy but its a leaning curve and tho sometime i have real hunger and sometimes just head hunger and sometimes no hunger at all....its a learning cycle and you will be different from everyone else.

Good luck!

SandpaperSandy
on 5/1/13 7:51 am - Kitchener, Canada

focus on what your clinic gave you for eating guidelines.   It is not hunger, it is habit.    the stomach gurgling is never a sign of hunger, it is life after surgery.   you are going to live on a few hundred calories for a couple of weeks and then it will progressively go up.   take baby steps and you will be a success

Most Active
Recent Topics