everyone have heart palpitations before surgery that went away after

lisachevy
on 4/29/13 10:21 am - Kitchener, Canada
My family doctor seems to think my heart palps are from being so over weight now. So just curious if anyone else had them before surgery and then have them go away?
smarkone
on 4/29/13 10:38 am

I think I have them, not sure, does it feel like your heart is pounding out of your chest at times and it makes you take a deep breath, cause thats what I get.

Sharon

Referral sent Sept. 2011, Orientation Oct. 2012, 1st appt. with Surgeon Nov. 2012, Nut, Nurse and SW Nov. 2012, Dr. Glazer Jan 2013, Stress test, echo Feb 2013, 2nd appt with Surgeon March 2013, PATTS April 23, 2012  surgery May 8, 2013

lisachevy
on 4/29/13 10:46 am - Kitchener, Canada
Sometimes if it last long. Most time it feels like my heart can't beat right and blood is not flowing right and feels like I'll pass out. Then it just stops.
Needanewbeginning
on 4/29/13 10:49 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Has your dr done some tests on you? You may have atrial fibrillation. Very common but can feel alarming. 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

lisachevy
on 4/29/13 8:46 pm - Kitchener, Canada
Ekg's and a halter monitor for 24 hours and all came back normal. Its fustrating
Marny B.
on 4/29/13 10:55 am - Canada

I had this very frequently before surgery.  It was related to stress and worry over my weight.  I would get flutters in my chest that could become intense at times, and made me feel like the room was blacking out.  I never did faint though.  I would also wake up in the middle of the night, bolt straight up in bed, and my heart would be beating out of my chest.  This would last for 10 minutes sometimes.  Once I went to the ER because an was so scared.  The night time things may have been related to my undiagnosed sleep apnea.  Anyhow....like I said, it was caused from stress for me.  I had every test under the sun just to rule everything else out.  This has since stopped entirely,as the source of my anxiety (my weight) is no longer a problem.  

A friend of mine who was a cardiac nurse told me that when I felt like my heart wasn't beating properly, I should give a really hard cough, and that can sometimes get things back n track.  

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

lisachevy
on 4/29/13 8:49 pm - Kitchener, Canada
Oh wow. Crazy how stress can cause so much. My mom's friend's hair fell out completely from stress. Thank you for the tidbit about the cough. I will try that next time
lexxiblue
on 4/29/13 12:14 pm
RNY on 01/11/12

i took 2 kinds of medication for heart palpitations which i had for years (prior to surgery) was so bad when i was pregnant 27 years ago i had to take digoxin!  i since weaned myself off the meds and haven't had the palpitations for a long time now. .. even before surgery. my doc said it wasn't weight related (surprise! everything else seemed to be)... i think it was stress related as marny indicated for herself... and yes when i coughed it seemed to stop.. i had been to emerg many times for this condition, put on IV and given a drug and wow.. what a feeling when they finally stopped.. good luck!

lisachevy
on 4/29/13 8:51 pm - Kitchener, Canada
I am very glad yours have stopped and I am going to try coughing next time as well. I am hoping for sure getting some weight down will help. And I am very stressed about weight so maybe it is a bit of stress. (I sure hope so) thanks for posting
kayakgirl
on 4/29/13 8:54 pm - Canada

I have panic attacks and Generalized Anxiety Disorder and get palpitations semi-regularly. I have also had my heart checked to rule out cardiac issues. All clear so we know mine are stress/anxiety related.

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

Most Active
Recent Topics