3 Months Post & My Body Resists Protien??

esther_cyw
on 7/26/13 10:52 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/26/13
Any meat protien I eat my body will only allow 2-3 bites (chewed well) then I'm sent a very uncomfortable nausea full yucky feeling and my meal time is done? Greek yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese protiens are all fine? Has anyone else experienced this?
Katie M.
on 7/26/13 11:51 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I think meat is a lot harder to digest than other types of protein, maybe that could be the problem? Perhaps you just need a little more time to adjust. I'd probably stick to chicken as it's easier to digest than beef or pork, and eat just one or two bites so you don't feel sick but you still are allowing your stomach to become accustomed to the meat. I could be wrong of course, since I'm still pre-op but I that would be my first guess is that your stomach is finding meat too hard to digest. 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Needanewbeginning
on 7/27/13 12:58 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Yup, I don't do meats well. Although prior to wls, I mostly ate chicken and fish. I am fine with ground beef, like in chilli etc, but steak, ugh! I had a few bites of roast beef not long ago, it just made me feel yucky, hard to explain, but certainly didn't feel right after just two little bites. But I will give it a few weeks and then try again. 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/27/13 1:37 am - Windsor, Canada

This is pretty normal for many people.  You have to keep trying though as that discomfort is also "full".   You will build a tolerance up the more you keep trying. The worst thing to do is to just switch to a diet of slider foods as eventually you will want dense protein to keep you full when hunger comes back.

Try ground turkey and chicken first.  Use the crockpot and add as much moisture as you can.  You're going to work on building up a tolerance.  It WILL get better.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

2mar
on 7/27/13 5:17 am
RNY on 09/20/12

yes - also had the same thing ( 4 months out). Was always ok with all proteins and suddenly.... nops anymore. 

But all was fine - just give it time and as people are saying here on the board - chew - chew - chew and try minced meats. 

And in the interim drink your protein drink again to make sure you get enough in you. And continue with the "solid" proteins. 

Lorieliz
on 7/27/13 8:26 am - Canada

Time and lots of chewing. Don't give up. I still can't eat beef (other than ground) or chicken wings...I am however in love with liver - although no one else in my house will eat it.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

Lori_Lee
on 7/27/13 12:18 pm - Canada

Some meats don't sit we'll but I find if I take a bite or two, sit about 5 or 10 minutes, enjoy the conversation, then resume dinner, one small bite at a time I can enjoy it easily. 

Lori Lee

TWH Orientation - Oct 17, 2012   SW - Nov 19, 2012   Nurse - Dec 12, 2012  Group Nutrition Class - Jan 14, 2013  Psychologist Feb 12, 2013  Nutrition March 15, 2013 Surgeon - April 5th (Dr Penner) Surgery May 16th 

Most Active
Recent Topics