New here!

OrganicRain
on 9/30/13 4:06 am
Hello I'm Michelle and I'm new to this site. I've been thru the referral and social worker appt. Today I did my ECG and blood work. My appt with the Dr. is set for 02 December 2013. I live in Thunder Bay and there is no surgeon here so I'll have to travel to Hamilton. Just wondering has anyone else experienced such a long distance for surgery?

I love this site. So many questions I had we're all answered here... Thanks to everyone!
Catw
on 9/30/13 4:26 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Michelle, Welcome to the site!  You'll find lots of information and support here.

I didn't have the distance, but I do know that there are a number of people on the site from Northern Ontario.  I'm sure that they'll pipe in and say Hi! And may give tips that they learned through their journey.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/13 4:34 am

I live in North Eastern Ontario so had to travel to Sudbury for all my pre op appointments and post op appointments so that is 4 hours each way for those then had to travel to Toronto 8 hours for surgery.  Our centre is affiliated with St. Joe's Toronto so we all have to go there for surgery.  Many of us fly for our pre op appointment at the hospital as they make us go a month before surgery and we do it as a day trip.  I flew for my surgery as well as I didn't want to sit in a car for at least 8 hours on the way home after surgery.

Nerak
on 9/30/13 7:01 am - Canada

Hi Michelle, 

I am new here too. I am just figuring out the site a bit. I live about 1.5 hrs from my hospital (Ottawa Civic). Good luck to you!

Nerak

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

Zizzler
on 9/30/13 7:55 am

Hi Nerak, I am at the Civic too :-)

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

burg_vs
on 9/30/13 10:03 am

Welcome!  I went thru Hamilton but I am only an hour away so I can't offer you any advice.  Thunder Bay is a long way so best of luck with the travelling!

4-Jane
on 9/30/13 10:30 am - Canada

Hey Michelle, I'm from Thunder Bay as well, I am just recently post op.  I had my surgery in Toronto , many others have been or are being sent to Toronto as well as Hamilton.  All of my appointments were local including my pre op which was done via telea conferencing.  The wait times can be long but I did a few things to speed up things you can ask you family doctor to set up some of the appointments needed ie the upper scope I think it's called the endoscopy.  I think they may require the other scope as well depending on your age and history if any with bowel issues.  If you snore you can also ask your family doctor to refer you for a sleep study.  I read posts daily but do not always post feel free to ask anything you want.   And welcome on board

Respectfully Jane
Michele T.
on 9/30/13 11:27 am - Canada

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to OH the best site ever!  I am originally from Marathon and my parents are now in Thunder Bay, but I do live in Toronto now.  Feel free to ping me with any questions.  I know of a few people who are from Thunder Bay in this forum.

Referral from GP October 2012  Starting Opti July 15th  Surgery with Dr. Jackson @ TWH on August 8th, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics