Incision site

Katie M.
on 11/1/13 10:36 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Under the skin around one incision site there is a lot of hard... something. I have no idea what it is. It's not infected and I just saw my GP on Wednesday who took my little bandages off and said everything looked good, but I noticed on the way home that the skin around the site feels strange. Is it scar tissue forming? 

Thanks for any info :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Nerak
on 11/1/13 11:40 am - Canada

Hi Katie, 

I have had some minor problems with my largest incision too. It leaks a pinkish fluid (I know tmi) and was also hard underneath. It also split apart on the surface. Apparently, all this is normal and now, I would say it is all healing up. I would call your team and just verify or go and get it checked out by your regular doc. 

Karen

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

Katie M.
on 11/1/13 12:42 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Hmm... I think I might email the nurse at TWH and see what she says. A few of my incisions have split too, but my family doc said that was normal. Nothing leaking yet but tonight it does feel a bit sore. Glad to hear yours is healing up now!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Amarachi
on 11/1/13 12:19 pm - Canada
Sorry to hear that you are having problems, I haven't had surgery yet but wanted you to know that you are in my prayers. Call your surgeon and have them check it out if it concerns you.

Orientation HRRH Oct 21,13 / Surgeon Nov 1,13 / SW,RD,RN, Internist Dec 3,13 / PATTS Jan 14,14 / Surgery Jan 20,14

Katie M.
on 11/1/13 12:43 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thank you :) I think I'll email my nurse at TWH and see what she has to say!

new_me180
on 11/1/13 12:39 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I also have the same hard something under the skin but, unfortunately, mine was infected. It was also hot to touch and after two days, it grew to the size of a golf ball. My other sites kind of describe what yours feels like. If the doc checked it out and gave the ok, i guess it's fine.

Katie M.
on 11/1/13 12:46 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Weird, mine doesn't seem infected - it doesn't feel particularly hot but the mass is definitely growing. My mom thought it could just be fluid that will eventually drain but I definitely don't want to get an infection. My family doc maybe didn't even notice it when he took the bandages off, he didn't do much except remove the tape... Think I'll email the nurse at TWH but if it's bigger in the morning I'll be heading to the walk in clinic to make sure it's not infected. Hopefully yours healed up without any more issue!

new_me180
on 11/1/13 1:34 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Well it's healing but, i have to have 5 days of iv antibiotics and i have to go to grand river for an ultrasound guided drainage, yikes!!! I do hope i have no more issues after this though. Hope yours is not infected coz it's not fun.

LittleMiss2013
on 11/1/13 12:52 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

It's likely scar tissue. Ironically I have this issue at my needle sites, where i was injecting my blood thinners. I now have small painful lumps. Dr said it is just trapped blood and that it should go away on it's own

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunny123
on 11/1/13 9:31 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

Hope all is ok. Writing the nurse sounds like a good approach.  Was he able to help you with the pinched nerve?

you need rest to heal well!

Johanne

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Most Active
Recent Topics