Was Wondering ????

piccola
on 1/4/14 8:46 pm
RNY on 06/06/13

Hi all ,

Was wondering if anyone could answer a question i have ? How much coffee can we consume after the surgery ? I am am 7 months post-op , and have not had any coffee since the surgery,have drank some tea to calm stomach at times. I did the other day have three small mugs of coffee with sweetner and low fat cream 5%, had the worst heartburn and cramping  ...could this be because of the amount of coffee i drank? Would love any input you can give me back or an alternative to coffee if there is any? 

Thanks again

Karen M.
on 1/4/14 9:19 pm - Mississauga, Canada

It could be. Coffee is quite acidic and can be hard on your gut. Having said that, I drank coffee right from the beginning, in moderation. Too much coffee still upsets my stomach and I still drink too much of it. Apparently I'm a slow learner. lol

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Sunny123
on 1/4/14 9:27 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I used to drink two or three a day pre-op - strong and black. Changed to decaf about 3 months before my operation. I now need milk in mine as I find the taste for strong coffee is gone...I may or may not have 1 a day now.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

piccola
on 1/4/14 11:04 pm
RNY on 06/06/13

Thanks for  the feed back i guess this journey will be a hit and miss for awhile ! I used to drink 2-3 xl coffee with 3x cream 3x sweetner.  What a change 7 months makes !!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/14 11:08 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Maybe you just had too much at one time for your first time in 7 months.  I drink a lot of coffee and only get heartburn if I drink Tim's.  I drink mine black and like it strong but for some reason, their coffee and my gut do not like each other . Some coffees are more acidic than others so it might just be a brand that you won't be able to drink.  I know I can't drink Maxwell House at all so when I visit certain people that only drink that, I never have coffee there.

Nerak
on 1/5/14 1:31 am - Canada

We were told not to drink coffee in Ottawa (ideally) - I mostly drink decaf and occasionally will have caffeinated. Just an FYI - 5% cream is not really "low fat" - here's a link to analysis :

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/4 8/2

It may have been your cream that gave you heartburn? 

Nerak

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

piccola
on 1/5/14 6:05 am
RNY on 06/06/13

Thanks for that link...  i Know about it not being low fat but the better option that was told to use by my doctor, thanks will try coffee with low fat milk to see if i get the  same results..

Hennagirliegirl
on 1/5/14 2:00 am - Canada

I drink one coffee per day from Timmies....I order 1/2 decaf. I have noticed I get a sore gut if I haven't eaten so don't do that. I get a medium and quite often don't fini****

Tea does not bother me but I try to stick to one a day unless it's herbal

I think if you went 7 months with none then had 3 your little tummy was saying WTF

Terri

Test

Nerak
on 1/5/14 8:26 am - Canada

Hey Piccola - Have cream if you like cream I was jsut mentioning because although I don't get heartburn anymore, I did suffer from terrible heartburn in the past and I was nearly always triggered with high fat foods. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with cream in  your coffee just that people often don't realize just how much fat is in some dairy products since the 5% is by volume. Hope you feel better soon! I used to take 10% cream in my coffee and weaned myself off many years ago by mixing with the next step down and kept on until I got to skim milk (never could do it black). 

Good luck!

Karen

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

sister_scaleback
on 1/5/14 11:38 am

A friend of mine had her surgery in Toronto and the day after her surgery, they served her regular coffee and tea. When she questioned it, they said told her the rule to not have coffee or tea was "out of date" and that she could have it :O

Referred to Windsor May 2013,  Toronto final approval on Feb. 20,2014. Met Surgeon May 2, 2014. RNY Surgery Date June 16,2014!

Most Active
Recent Topics