No Support

Philbrow1
on 2/6/14 12:35 pm - Stirling, Canada

Hi I don't have support from family here. I also don't know what weight loss surgery I should get. First I thought lap band. But worried about throwing up all the time. An then thinking sleve as there isn't fills an nothing is going to slip or corrode in my body. Does anyone have thoughts??

mypita58
on 2/6/14 1:27 pm, edited 2/6/14 1:28 pm - Windsor, Canada

I am over 2 years post op RNY and even though I have not reached my goal weight, it was the best decision I made. I now have a life to enjoy.

Glenda    
Do not pray for an easier life, pray to be stronger.    JFK            
Philbrow1
on 2/6/14 1:42 pm - Stirling, Canada

Thanks for replying IM glad to hear your happy with your decision I've been wanting it for so long an never really had the courage to do it. But now is I'm at the point of no return. I thought of going to mexico for the gastric sleeve. Or stay in canada an get the lap band.  Again thanks for replying 

shoshanaApr2013
on 2/6/14 2:07 pm
The band isn't covered here. After joining the Registry and meeting with your surgeon, you'll both look at your weight, medical history, etc and decide if the sleeve or RNY would best for you (both of which as covered by OHIP!).

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

Philbrow1
on 2/6/14 2:22 pm - Stirling, Canada

Yes I know it's not covered. But I can write it off at income tax time I was informed. My family doctor suggests the lap band an I was worried about all the reports of slippage an corrosion. An then I was thinking sleeve being done in Mexico because the price is so much more affordable. An thank you for replying an the best wishes. 

Nanato2
on 2/6/14 8:00 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

One thing you should think of is the support after your surgery from medical professionals that specialize in Bariatric surgery. If you go to Mexico you won't have that support here however, if you go through the baraitric centre you will have support of all the medical professionals.

Something to think about.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Zizzler
on 2/6/14 8:53 pm

I would research your options very carefully before deciding. i considered surgery at a private hospital but I do not have the money and it was important for me to have my centre nearby for support and follow-up.  As for support, this group is great for that.  If you get it done here there are support groups as well at each hospital, and you can call your centre if you need assistance. Not sure what Mexico offers as far as follow-up so you will want to research that.  There was one person on here who had it done at a private clinic in Montreal and she said it was ok but there is no support afterwards.  Let us know what you decide...

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

sellarsgal
on 2/6/14 9:50 pm - Oshawa, Canada

I think you should go to an orientation session here in Ontario if you haven't already. I live in Oshawa and they sent me to Humber River . Then meet with the surgeon, once you have gone to the orientation they will make you an appointment with one.

When you meet with the surgeon you can discuss all your fears and concerns with him. He will let you know what type of surgery will be right for you.

There is a lot of information and it is too bad you don't have a family member to help you go through this, but maybe a close friend?  It may seem scary and overwhelming but at least you will find out more about the surgeries.

My husband had it done in Dec 2012 and I am going through the process now. So I was lucky to see first hand how it all works. The people on this forum are wonderful and can answer any questions you may have.

Good Luck!

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/14 9:58 pm

judging by the recent posts here, I don't see much use of after surgery "support" at the hospitals here. Been reading about the same responses over and over "everyone is different, you'll be ok". Yeah, that's useful. And I am not even sure what support you mean that you don't have. My family doesn't know I am doing it as it will be my decision whether to go ahead with it, since I am doing it for ME first. I e-mailed Dr. Alvarez clinic in Mexico, just to cover bases, since I am leaning toward VSG and it's hard to get here. Had a great e-mail exchange, prompt, thorough and very informative. So, as far as support is concerned on that front, I am not the least bit worried.

Steps78
on 2/10/14 1:06 pm

I believe individuals here are referring to medical support. I have no idea how the surgical process works in Mexico but here you would need to get a list of tests done previous to any WLS. Also, the bariatric clinics have medical teams that we are to meet with pre and post op. These include endocrinologists, dieticians, social workers, nurses, psychologists and probably some others I'm forgetting lol. I find this support to be very beneficial to the whole process. I'm not sure if you would be able to attend a bariatric clinic if you had surgery in Mexico. It would be a good idea to find out beforehand. Btw I've had a VSG and am very happy with it. 

Good luck!

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

Most Active
Recent Topics