Really Frustrated......

BlakeandLillysMummy
on 7/3/14 9:40 pm - Canada

So my referral was sent in on May 5th, at least that is what my dr. advised.  I still haven't heard anything or received anything.. it's been two months tomorrow.... and I've been perusing messages this morning and noticed that a lot of people didn't wait long at all between their referral going in and getting their "package".... I'm a little upset....  I know this is a long process and I'm trying to be patient, even though that isn't one of my strong suits... I'm in the process of potentially getting a new job, which also worries me because what new employer wants to hear, "Oh sorry, I know you just hired me and all, but I have to be off work for surgery".... 

Guess I just needed to vent a little...

Thanks

Heather

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/14 9:56 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

I had to wait 8 months from the time my doctor referred me to when I got my first call.  After that it took a year to get through and have the surgery.  

It really varies though.

BlakeandLillysMummy
on 7/3/14 9:58 pm - Canada

I am noticing that now... It's hard.. I guess because I have all this upheavel right now, I'm a bit stressed... At this point, with the potential job change, it probably is better to have to wait a bit longer, but I just want to know for sure that the referral went in and that my name is in there and we are moving towards something!!! :)

Mary A.
on 7/3/14 11:40 pm
On July 4, 2014 at 4:56 AM Pacific Time, Kel_17 wrote:

I had to wait 8 months from the time my doctor referred me to when I got my first call.  After that it took a year to get through and have the surgery.  

It really varies though.

I had my surgery 5.5 yrs ago in Minnesota...what I am finding more as time goes on, Is that because the government is approving more individuals and there is only (x) amount of $$ for this type of funding, the wait times will increase...there is no way around it.

Although frustrating...I try to tell potential patients..take the time to make positive changes in your life (now), it will definatly make things easier down the road, the first two years are easy compared to years 3, 4 & 5.

Potential patients need to know and accept that as this surgery is so life changing for people the wait is not the same for everyone & just because patient x sped through at (y) hospital/program in 8 months.

...things may have changed dramatically in those 8 months.

The most realistic thing to do is to ask the clinic/surgeon/program (what is a realistic amount of time I can expect to wait to begin the journey and what is the reasonable amount of time to expect my surgery to occur) and ALSO....patients need to remember it takes several steps ALL to line up to make this happen..so there is a lot of juggling when things go smoothly..never mind when something unexpected gets thrown in.

All the best...it will be worth the wait.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Karen M.
on 7/4/14 9:46 am - Mississauga, Canada

Mary - you remember when we were having a chat about protein intake and absorption a few weeks ago? I found the document I was looking for. Can you PM me your email address and I'll send it to you?

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Catw
on 7/3/14 10:34 pm - Arnprior, Canada

One thing you can do is to try to contact the Bariatric Registry and confirm that they received the referral.  Some say that e-mail is better, but I've never tried so I don't know.  They would also be able to confirm which hospital you will be going through.

Cathy

Swampy1976
on 7/3/14 10:39 pm, edited 7/3/14 10:40 pm - Marmora, Canada

Hi heather, waiting and not knowing are not easy. Your Dr. Should get a response to the fax approx 10 days after sending your referral.  So I knew the registry had my info. But had to wait 5 months to get an info pack to fill out and a pre admission clinic appt. for 2 months after that. Once the ball was rolling it has gone quick. I was done with all the the appointments and tests in 4 months and scheduled for surgery. I was originally booked for surgery in in sept but was changed to July a week ago. So from orientation to the surgery I will be 9 month so it has been a 17 month process for me could have been 19 month.

redviking
on 7/4/14 1:31 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

Try not to worry too much about the new job situation.  I was in the same boat as you.  I had my referral in November 2012, and in April 2013, I started a new job.  I had my fingers crossed that the surgery would be at least 6 months after I started, and it's actually turned out to be over a year after I started.  Make the decision about the new job without thinking about what could happen.  Just operate on what is happening in your life now.  It's frustrating to have so many "what ifs".  Try to focus on the stuff you can control.  

Good luck with your new job!!!  

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

NorthernStar
on 7/4/14 3:03 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Don't worry so much. I was in the exact same spot as you. I had my referral go in May 2011 and the next month I began the process of moving to a new company, I didn't start my job til September. Here is what I did: I went to my orientation but I deferred my initial appointments (Surgeon, RN, SW, NUT) for a full 3 months so I could get my probation in and get my benefits. They were more than happy to accomodate this and I started my appointments in January. I'm sure your centre can work around you if you start a new job. If it means deferring the process for a couple of months, that's absolutely fine.

I did call the centre, just to ensure they received my referral, but other than that it's just a case of playing the waiting game. You'll get in, don't worry. Use this time wisely.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

kimber291
on 7/4/14 3:18 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I was unemployed when my referral was sent off but I wasn't sure how long the whole process would take. Honestly it didn't matter one I made the decision to take my life back.

The same day I went to see my surgeon to sign the paperwork,  I had a job interview that morning. I was offered the position on the spot and when I got to Toronto and signed the paperwork I was offered a date. I took it!! 5 days later I started opti. I just told the employer that I had to go in for a procedure that couldn't be put off. They were wonderful about it. I started work on Feb 2nd and 9 days later I had surgery. I was off for 7 weeks. 

The employer may be accommodating,  don't get discouraged. It's not like they are entitled to know what you are having done. I ended up telling get mine that it was a bowel surgery. ( bowel resection) I thought it may explain the weight loss :-)  I not only had to break the news to the employer but as well the family that I work for. As I am a PSW and I was hired to work full time with a client. They were amazing with me. And still are. I think everything worked out the way it did that day for a reason. I am very thankful everyday for the opportunities I have been given.

Keep positive, everything will work out!

Kim

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Most Active
Recent Topics