New Clothes

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/4/14 12:58 am

I know it is probably different for everyone, but I'm wondering how quickly people found they needed new clothes post-surgery.  For example, am I likely to need a new wardrobe when I return to work 1 month post-op?  Did anyone find some types of clothes e.g. dresses, etc. were a better choice while shrinking?

Catw
on 7/4/14 1:13 am - Arnprior, Canada

It is different for everyone.  I wouldn't get a new wardrobe just yet.  Just before you go back to work, go to Value Village or somewhere like that and pick up a couple outfits.  You'll go through them quick, so don't spend a lot of money on clothes just yet.  I have known some people to invest in suspenders to help extend the life of pants, so they weren't buying them as often.  Dress shirts with buttons tend to last a bit longer for me, or something with a loose jacket.  Or even something with a tie back on it.  Then you can tighten it a bit as you need to.

One thing you will find you need to "upgrade" a little more often is your bra.  And get measured each time you go for a new size.  It was suggested to me that if yours hang low, to get a padded bra to give them shape.  I know TMI for the guys, but it's what I was told.  I'm currently in between easy sizes.  Just haven't gotten around to getting measured for a proper fit.

Cathy

reliena
on 7/4/14 2:09 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

I'm two months out tomorrow, and I definitely am noticing that hardly any clothes will "work" anymore! I have dropped a couple pant sizes already. However, I'm hanging tight, accepting "donations" from my friends who have also lost weight, and trying to be creative. Belting tops and dresses can be really cute! I'm saving up to buy new things in the fall and winter. Until then if I have a need for something that I currently don't have, I will either go to a thrift store or borrow it!

PS - I lost about 50 lbs in 2010, and regained it over three years, so I do have some stuff that isn't terribly out of date, thank goodness!

Referral 08/13, Orientation TWH 09/18/13, SW 09/26/13, NP 09/26/13, Surgeon Appt 12/13/13, MRI 01/06/14, Nut Class 01/14/14, Nut 01/20/14, Scopes 02/21/14, Psych 02/25/14, Dr. Urbach 03/28/14, PATTS 04/15/14, SURGERY 05/06/14!!! 

19star71
on 7/4/14 2:17 am

I'm 4.5 months out and have lost 82 pounds but I didn't notice any real physical change until about month 3.

I am still wearing the same bras and underwear and can wear almost all of my 24w tops.

Pants and dresses and shoes however, are a completely different story! My pants started at a 24w, went down to a 22w, and then right down to a 18w.

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/14 2:35 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

I suggest you buy as little as you need it.  I had my surgery April 16th and have gone down 5 sizes.  I would buy an outfit and in two weeks it was too big.  I went from a size 20 to 14 since my operation and am still losing.  Buy as little as possible in the beginning until you are close to you goal weight - unless you have lots of money and do not mind spending for an outfit that may not fit in a few weeks.  

Invest in a good belt  :)

Good luck.

LilyBugsMommy
on 7/4/14 7:04 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I was lucky as I had held on to a lot of my clothes over the years as I moved up in sizes. So, I was able to "shop" from my closet on the way back down. I also had friends that gave me clothes and shopped at Value Village. You can go through sizes so quickly, it really isn't worth spending a lot of money on new clothes until you are done losing. 

I found using belts to be very helpful and even though I was not a dress person pre-op, they are wonderful post-op. You don't have to worry about the waist being too big so I found that they lasted longer than pants, etc. I had lost about 50-60 lbs before I started wearing a smaller size. Looking back, I may have been able to change clothes a bit sooner, but, it really is a mind game in the beginning. You don't think that you could possibly fit into size X at first, lol.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

murphygirl2013
on 7/4/14 1:03 pm

I have only purchased about two tops and two bottoms, most of my clothing from previous years are getting me through for now, plus I also received a few items from friends,  I had a wedding to go to a month ago and had to purchase a whole new outfit and now I cant even where it because it is way too big.  I did invest in new bra and got measured for it, and what a huge difference that made.  wow I actually have shapes to by boobs, lol  and also went down a shoe size.  I use a belt also,  try to get through with what you because what you buy now, will not fit in a week or two.

Karen M.
on 7/4/14 8:47 am - Mississauga, Canada

I know for a fact, and have pictures to prove it, that I waited WAY too long to start wearing something smaller that fit.

Thrift stores are a true gem. If you can find a couple of good ones, I'm not entirely convinced you ever need to shop retail again. LOL I *still* visit my 2 favs before hitting retail. Well, mostly anyway. There is a tiny thrill (actually huge if I'm being honest) walking into a shop that I could never even dream of shopping in before and buying size small off the rack. Not gonna lie.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Onward and
Downward

on 7/8/14 10:57 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

You are so right! I get so many of my clothes from thrift shops these days that it spoils me for regular stores - everything seems way too expensive in regular stores, even stuff that is on sale.  Most of the clothing I get the most compliments on were $3 or $5 at a second hand store!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

serenity1959
on 7/4/14 1:22 pm
VSG on 08/05/13

The bigger you are, the longer it takes to go down a size.   It seemed to take FOREVER to get out of my 24s, but once I did the sizes moved down more quickly.

HW 275  SW 266

Most Active
Recent Topics