Cream soups - home made ok?

Blueiiis
on 8/18/14 7:38 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I am 1 week post op (yay) and wonder if I can make my own creamy tomato soup from scratch or if I have to stick with the canned stuff?

KerryF.
on 8/18/14 7:51 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

Creamy Tomato soup almost killed me a couple weeks post-op anything tomato was bad  V-8 juice gave me acid reflux episode for bout 4 days. Tried V-8 again just last week and it still wasn't good. BUT I can eat tomatoes................  go figure. Anyway my only suggestion is watch anything with a lot of acid in it.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Hollynik
on 8/18/14 7:54 am - Canada

I am just over a week post surgery and made my own cream of cauliflower soup.  It tasted way better then the canned stuff.  I think I might make a squash soup next.  I know it's not fall but it's a fall favourite of ours so I may just make it early. 

Blueiiis
on 8/18/14 8:30 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Squash soup sounds yummy, and it sure feels like fall now :)

I am going to whip up some tomato soup, and do a cauliflower soup on the weekend. I was going to sub in skim milk in place of cream... how did you do it?

Hollynik
on 8/18/14 9:48 am - Canada

I cooked my cauliflower in water with chicken bouillion cubes then pureed it all up and added some fat free cream cheese and a cup of skim milk.  I used 2 cauliflowers though so my family could eat it too. 

reenie33
on 8/18/14 10:07 am

I would think anything homemade is far better that canned due to high sodium. Go slow as tomatoes are acidic and may bother your healing tummy

Blueiiis
on 8/18/14 11:33 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I had some Campbell's tomato soup (1/4 cup) and it seemed ok.  Also had a couple ounces of v8 with lunch, so far so good.  I have been lucky so far with trying foods, not that there is much variety at this stage, ha ha ha.

Catw
on 8/18/14 10:40 pm - Arnprior, Canada

There is no problem with having home made.  Making it yourself means that you control what's in it.  Such as sodium content, and type of milk.  As long as it's well blended (no chunks) you should be able to eat it.  If you do think that there might be a few chunks, just strain it.

Good luck,

Cathy

Blueiiis
on 8/19/14 12:08 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Walking to the grocery store this morning to buy cauliflower for soup tonight. Mmm. 

Blueiiis
on 8/20/14 2:12 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Yum yum, home made cauliflower soup is delish. 

Most Active
Recent Topics