My Amazing Discovery - The Spiralizer!

NorthernStar
on 2/26/15 3:57 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I recently got a spiralizer and I just had to come here to rave about it. If you love and miss pasta like I do, it is a wonderful gadget. I have made zucchini noodles with it, as well as chopped up some veggies for cold salad. The zucchini noodles were amazing! Last week, I had them with turkey meatballs and homemade marinara, and tonight I am making them with a lean beef ragu.

Very mild taste (like pasta) but the texture is great (also like pasta!). The nutrition on the other hand can't be beat - lower calorie, much lower carb, fibre, plus nutrients that pasta is just not helping you out with.

I just can't deny that I miss pasta but it does me no favours so I really limit it. If you are looking for a substitute, this is fabulous. I got mine on sale at the Superstore for $14.

If you have a spiralizer, what do you make with it?

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

TES
on 2/26/15 4:38 am - Ottawa, Canada

I love my Spiralizer!  Got for Christmas and it is fantastic.  Zucchini noodles are delicious and do help a bit with the pasta cravings.  I need to get a better one those since mine more or less just grates the zucchini into paper thin ribbons and they don't hold up well to cooking.  I've got my eye on one on Amazon ... :)

I've made a great cucumber salad but haven't gotten any more adventurous than that.  Once I get one that does more, I'll start experimenting.

TES

new_me180
on 2/26/15 4:47 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks for the sale at Superstore. I was actually gonna go buy the veggetti at Walmart this weekend as i wanted some of the zucchini pasta.

pegawatt
on 2/26/15 5:25 am - Canada

bought the same one and never used it yet was it hard to use NorthernStar

NorthernStar
on 2/26/15 10:31 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Very easy to use once you get the hang of it! It is a bit flimsy, I'm sure the pricier ones are a bit more sturdy but overall it's pretty decent. 

*Lindsey*

BluIzGal
on 2/26/15 5:21 am, edited 2/26/15 5:32 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

While the spirilizer has three blades, I've only used the one for "pasta/spaghetti". I've used white and sweet potato, turnip, zucchini, carrots, beets and spaghetti squash. I love how the veggies can be eaten raw, boiled or baked in 10 mins max!  Most times I eat them raw. I've had my spirilizer for over a year and have "loaned" it out to countless friends and family - many have in turn bought their own.  I've tried several gadgets that spiril veggies (similar to a peeler and one from pampered chef) but my favorite is the one I bought from Paderno for less than $30. THE best kitchen gadget in my opinion.  If you check out http://www.inspiralized.com you can get receipes sent daily or even just browse for ideas and run with it. 

Patricia

NorthernStar
on 2/26/15 10:32 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Thanks for the site rec! I'll check it out for more recipes

*Lindsey*

Most Active
Recent Topics