Question for those who went through Humber

BlakeandLillysMummy
on 3/16/15 10:15 pm - Canada

Hey Everyone,

My appointment with the SW, RN and Dietician is next week - what should I expect, what do I need to bring (besides a food journal and my medication)?  Also, my appointment with Dr. Glazier just got moved up from July to May, so I'm excited about that....

What happens AFTER my appointments next week - do I contact Dr. Sohi's office again, or do they contact me?  How do I actually get a surgery date???  

Things feel like they are moving forward, so i'm very excited, but nervous at the same time...... I still have this stupid feeling that at some point someone is going to say "no" you can't have the surgery!!! I know that it is a stupid to think, but this is the first time I have ever put myself first for something and I'm just really afraid that someone is going to say no!!!!  

Referral: May 2014 Orientation: Sept 26 (HRRH): 1st Surgeon Appt: Feb 13 (Sohi @ HRRH) : Dietician/Social Worker/RN: March 25, 2015  Dr. Glazier - May 12, 2015  2nd Surgeon Appointment (Dr. Hagen) - June 1, 2015 -  Start Opti - August 19, 2015 - SURGERY SEPTEMBER 1, 2015  - HW 270lbs OW - 256.6 SW: 244.6

roxytrim
on 3/17/15 12:37 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

It's ok you can relax.  Those feelings you are experiencing are pretty familar to most of us, especially the part where you never put yourself first...get used to that feeling.  Step up to the plate and go to bat for yourself...you and your health and well being are long overdue for attention.

Learn and absorb as much as you can and start practicing all the lifestyle changes now.  You will be guided through all your appointments by the center and if you want to push the process let them know you can take cancellations.

Enjoy the ride.

charminglearner
on 3/17/15 2:44 am
RNY on 10/27/14

I've heard Dr. Sohi isn't doing surgeries right now, so you'll be referred to another surgeon, but this won't cause a delay.  After \i was approved by everyone I called Dr, Hagen when I hadn't heard from them in a month, and got an appointment at the office, where I bought the Optifast and got my surgery date. He's one of four surgeons in the same office as Dr. Sohi. That was the first time I went to the office, before that I met the surgeon at the clinic.

Just make sure you know the stuff from the orientation.  The dietitians and social worker want to know you are fully informed. The food journal should show you are trying to make changes, be prepared to say what changes you've made and are working on. 

Bring a paper pad or notebook and pen.  They give you a lot of information, like any adjustments to your vitamins, all the instructions for the fasting, etc.

kimber291
on 3/17/15 3:35 am, edited 3/17/15 12:19 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

You have to see Glazer first before you call Sohi. He has to sign you off before you get a date. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

mum2TNT
on 3/17/15 7:00 am - Oshawa, Canada

I am so excited for you!! I went through HRRH also, and I was asked to come back a month after my original meetings with the dietician.  I had made some changes, I thought they were significant changes, but she was concerned with the 'emotional' eating......which I didn't realize I had.  Apparently eating at night because you are bored falls under the emotional umbrella LOL  I had to make that change immediately and add WAY more protein to my diet.  Anyhow....that was in December, I had to go back in January and I was then cleared by all 3 appointments.  You will know the day of your meetings if they are passing you or not.  They tell you right then.  Each appt takes about 30-45 minutes.  My first appt with the dietician took over an hour, but the social worker was about 15 minutes.  

HUGS and get studying that bariatric bible they gave you at Orientation! LOL  Know what vitamins you will need to take, how much food your stomach will hold right after surgery and a year after surgery.  Be able to give a brief description of the surgery and make sure you know the food stages for sure!!!  

You are gonna be fine girl!!!! 

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

BlakeandLillysMummy
on 3/17/15 8:11 am - Canada

Thanks everyone!!! 

My appointments next week are the 25th!!!! (Wednesday! ) can't wait!! I think that I know the procedure and menu after down pat, I have explained at work at least a dozen times!!!  I will have to re-read my bible though!!! I started tracking my food haphazardly awhile ago, but I really don't eat a huge variety of foods so the Journaling isn't too hard!

I gave up Pop about 3 1/2 years ago!  Gave up carbonated water last summer, only have one tea with milk and sweeter a day (but can live without that!!) Starting taking the premier protein shakes (from Costco) after our orientation, so I think I am definitely on the right track!!! Now to get through those appointments.

Christy,  ur in oshawa too, hopefully after surgery maybe we can get together for some walks or something!  (Here's hoping I get a date not too far from now!!!) 

Referral: May 2014 Orientation: Sept 26 (HRRH): 1st Surgeon Appt: Feb 13 (Sohi @ HRRH) : Dietician/Social Worker/RN: March 25, 2015  Dr. Glazier - May 12, 2015  2nd Surgeon Appointment (Dr. Hagen) - June 1, 2015 -  Start Opti - August 19, 2015 - SURGERY SEPTEMBER 1, 2015  - HW 270lbs OW - 256.6 SW: 244.6

kimber291
on 3/17/15 10:22 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Hey!  What day do you see Glazer?  My cousins appt was changed too 

Maybe we will meet again! 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

BlakeandLillysMummy
on 3/17/15 10:52 am - Canada

Originally we were to see Dr. Glazer July 13th,  but just got a call yesterday that it was bumped up to May 12th (my bday!!)

EllenMW
on 3/17/15 10:32 pm

There is a support group in Oshawa that you should start going to now, believe me its the best thing because you will learn from those that have gone through it and are going through it like you.  They have a facebook page Durham Region WLS Support Group look them up and join it they will let you know when/where their meetings are

sweethappiness
on 3/18/15 2:52 am - Canada

Hi, I am also going to HRH and attending my Apts for tje nurse, dietitian and sw in April. My apt with Dr. Glazier is also the same day as yours in May. Please let me know how your 3 Apts go next week and what questions they ask. Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics