optifast newbie

Amanda F.
on 4/19/15 8:24 am - Oshawa, Canada

Hello Everyone! Sorry for all the questions today but I start optifast tomorrow and I think the nerves are kicking in. I just have a question about preparing them. I am in an office all day. Can I premix them and bring them to work or can I put it in a mixer bottle and mix it at work I am just worried about the noise. Can anyone let me know how they prepared their meals for the day. I greatly appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks  Amanda

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/15 8:46 am, edited 4/19/15 8:47 am - Canada

Hi Amanda. I took my mixing jar (which was an empty pickle jar) and mixed them at work. I was lucky to have access to ice that I added to the water and optifast. I just shook it by hand and it was good to go. I preferred the vanilla because I could add flavouring to it. My favourite was to add banana extract I bought at the Bulk Barn. Good luck! Chris

Amanda F.
on 4/19/15 8:49 am - Oshawa, Canada

Thanks Chris! I wish I had access to ice at work and I also only have chocolate flavor for 3 weeks. But I saw that other people were blending chocolate with decaf coffee and ice. I may try that.

crqvingchange
on 4/19/15 10:46 am

You can bring very cold water for mixing to work.  If you bring a shake bottle that is plastic they don't make too much noise.  Premixing isn't a great idea, it changes the flavour and texture making it taste worse.  you've got this.  It is only three weeks and you will get through it.  The first few days are the hardest and it gets easier.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/15 11:35 am - Canada

Banana works well with chocolate too! Also if you like chocolate mint your can buy peppermint extract at the bulk store. Those were a couple I did try with the chocolate. Good luck! You'll do great! Chris

mum2TNT
on 4/19/15 1:33 pm - Oshawa, Canada

chocolate is yummy just with ice :)  

Be careful with the peppermint flavouring, or probably any flavouring, with how much you put in! I made my vanilla and added some peppermint but poured in WAYYYYYYY too much and I couldn't drink it, had to throw it out.  I believe most recipes say 1/8 tsp.....so next time I am going to measure and now just eye ball it LOL

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Catw
on 4/19/15 11:45 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I used a plastic shaker bottle it had a wheel shaped thing to help with mixing, some have a metal ball.  I used to drink the first shake on the way to work, wash my shaker and fill it with water then put it in the fridge until I mixed the next one.  Did that for shake 3 then had shake 4 on the way home (my commute is 1 h each way).  I didn't have access to ice, and didn't know about changing flavors, but didn't mind the chocolate shakes as is.

Cathy

Amanda F.
on 4/19/15 11:49 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Thanks Cathy. That is what my plan is now. I also have a 1-1.5 hour commute each way. Thanks everyone for your help. Day 1 of optifast is starting off good

Most Active
Recent Topics