Frustrated by pain

Smallermenow
on 7/13/15 1:21 pm

So I have been having these "attacks" that I thought were gallstones, but I had an ultrasound done this morning and she told me she didn't see anything.  I had an attack yesterday and still in pain today and was told perhaps I passed the gallstones and thats why nothing is showing up.  I don't think that makes sense.  So frustrating.  I was prepared to find out that I need to have my gallbladder removed, not that they can't find whats wrong.  A little background:  I have lost 46 lbs since surgery in April.  My "attacks" start off with stabbing pain in the middle of my back which radiates to the front.  I get the cold sweat and sooooo nauseous.  I assume that since there is nothing in my tiny stomach, what can't go up must go down.  I sometimes have diarrhea, but not always.  I have tried to get in touch with TWH where I had my surgery, but have not received any response.  I just don't know what to do.  These attacks never happened before I had my surgery.

Julie

Herecomeshealth
on 7/13/15 5:00 pm

Try e-mailing someone at Toronto Western. I think they have contact info in the book as well as on their website. If you can maybe TWH emergency when you have an attack. I hope this resolves soon.

Smallermenow
on 7/13/15 6:44 pm

Thanks for your response.  I have emailed 4 times to TWH.  No response.  I can't go to their emergency as I live about 3 hours away.  I can't imagine sitting in the emergency room for hours when i feel this bad.  I would rather cry at home.  :(  My family doctor gave me pain pills so I take those, which curbs the pain usually, but its not working today.

Julie

highlandbear
on 7/13/15 6:37 pm - Canada

I truly understand living with pain.  I lived for 2 years after surgery with pain and eating made it so much worse.  I had many trips to the  Emergency trying to find out what was the cause. After having gallbladder out and still in pain and spending 6 days in the hospital they figure it out. You need to trust them and if the pain get to bad go to emergency and they can give you something to help you with the pain. Keep track of when the pain starts and how long it last. The diarrhea could be because you are feeling nauseous and if it can't come up it will come out in diarrhea. Good luck and hope it does not take them to long to figure out what is the matter. I will tell you things will get better and don't have any regrets in having this surgery  

Smallermenow
on 7/13/15 6:49 pm

Thank you.  I don't regret the surgery at all.  I am very grateful that this is the only problem I am having.  I just wish i had an answer.  I really thought I had gallstones and I was prepared for that.  Just really disappointed that I didn't get an answer.  And I have an appointment with my family doctor in 1 1/2 weeks to go over the results. Its just so much waiting and wondering. 

Julie

Karen M.
on 7/14/15 4:27 am - Mississauga, Canada

Your pain sounds exactly like the attacks I endured when my gallbladder was acting up (and needed to come out!) - starts in the back, radiates around the front, nausea, etc. etc. Sometimes gallbladder issues are not apparent on an ultrasound and a "sludgy" gallbladder likely won't show at all- you need to press a little to get a CT scan and if it's really bad (which it sounds like it is) go to the ER. They may have to take it out.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Smallermenow
on 7/14/15 10:54 am

Thank you.  I will talk to my doctor about the CT Scan.  I had an attack on Sunday and my back is still killing me today.  Nothing I take does any good.  If it doesn't let up soon, I may go to the ER.

Julie

Karen M.
on 7/14/15 10:57 am - Mississauga, Canada

I think that is a very wise decision. If you do go, let them know exactly how intense the pain is, that you recently had WLS, and that you "are awaiting" (white lie, so sue me) a CT scan to confirm gallbladder.

Karen

Smallermenow
on 7/14/15 11:01 am

LOL  A little white lie never hurt anyone, right?  Thanks for the info.  Now I know what to say if I go.  I am going to take a hot bath and see if that helps any.  If not, to the ER I go.

Julie

Karen M.
on 7/14/15 11:20 am - Mississauga, Canada

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics