Opti over holidays

adaptation
on 8/27/15 3:11 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/23/15

I just realized today that I'll be starting my two weeks of Optifast a few days before Thanksgiving.  Yikes!  Have any of you guys had to deal with Opti over food-oriented holidays?  Tips and tricks would be much appreciated!

Orientation (TWH): 11 Feb 15 || SW: 17 Apr 15 || NP: 25 May 15 || Class: 2 June 15
Psych: 11 June 15 || Dietitian: 18 June 15 || Surgeon: 14 Aug 15 || Surgery: 23 Oct 15

This G.
on 8/27/15 3:30 pm - Canada

I'm on Opti now, and even though there hasn't been a food'centric holiday I was on vacation for the first week of it and there was a huge, im talking HUGE turkey dinner with the family.

For me, it wasn't not getting to eat the food that was hard, it was not knowing if I should still sit at the table with my family. I did  because i still wanted to be included and I sipped on water and talked with everyone.

I think you get over the food. I have crazy stupid head cravings. Like KFC, i love the skin but it makes me sick, havent had it in over a year, so what do I crave now? KFC. haha. they go away as fast as they come on.

Surgeon: Dr Hagen. Start Opti Aug 18th. Surgery Sept 1st 2015

BUFFY M.
on 8/27/15 9:49 am, edited 8/27/15 9:49 am - Bobcaygeon, Canada
RNY on 11/23/15

I'll be eating pureed foods during Christmas. Yay! Pureed Turkey 

Referral: July 2014 Orientation: October 2014 Meeting with Surgeon: March 23, 2015 RN/SW/Dietician: June 1, 2015 2ND Phone Interview with Dietician: July 7, 2015 Dr. Glazier (Internist): August 24, 2015 Surgery: November 23, 2015 Starting Weight: 305 lbs - Goal Weight: 130 lbs - Current Weight: 145 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/15 5:24 pm

Just ask yourself what do you want more... turkey or this surgery. Keep your eyes on the prize.

B-Trix123
on 8/28/15 9:31 am - Toronto, Canada

We have an annual BBQ at our lake. It was last Sat and I was 10 days post op, so on liquid diet. I wanted to be there for the company and had no problem with having my protein shake during my visit. The problem came from those sitting around me. They felt very uncomfortable eating in my presence and although I tried to reassure them, it was how they felt. It wasn't until I sat back alone at my own cottage that I got it. Everyone had brought their best dishes to a pot-luck, time to share recipes etc. and suddenly it became about me. I too would have felt that awkwardness and I am sorry I did what I did.

In hindsight, I should have got up and moved around to chat with people who were yet to visit the buffet.  Maybe that's a tip you can use.

Most Active
Recent Topics