Low Blood Sugar

Donna1964
on 11/12/15 8:00 am - Canada

Good morning everyone. I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on things while I wait for a call back from the nurse at the Guelph Bariatric Clinic.  I have had a couple of bouts of low blood sugar. One I know for sure was because I missed snack, lunch and snack.  However, this latest one happened in the wee hours of this morning. I woke up to being really shaky and sweating so much that it was dripping off of me. I was able to make it down to the kitchen and used my husbands blood monitor to check my reading and it was 2.4.  I know we are to stay away from sugary treats but I was afraid to get up and rummage through the cupboards, in front of me was a bowl of leftover halloween rockets and a couple mini areo bars.  I had a feast and within 15 minutes I tested it again and it was 8. something.  I checked it again before having my breakfast and it was down to 6.  This last episode really scared me.  Today I feel like i was on the biggest drinking binge every. I am still shaky and my head feels like it is swimming.  Any advice while I wait for the call back from the clinic. I am also thinking of calling and getting into my own doctor as I have been really tired as of late. 

Thanks in advance.

Donna

crqvingchange
on 11/12/15 8:23 am

I have had a couple of those episodes.   I find it helps to have a protein snack or drink before bed.  

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Donna1964
on 11/12/15 8:26 am - Canada

For my snack last night around 8:30 I had a few crackers and a cheese string.  Guess maybe it wasn't enough. 

crqvingchange
on 11/12/15 8:35 am

See what the doctor suggests for a snack at night.  I'd be interested to know what he says. Low sugars are very scary. The last time it happened to me I drank diluted grape concentrate then followed that with some deli meat and cheese to stabilise. DH brought home some glucose gel. One for my purse and one for by the bed it case it happens again. 

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Donna1964
on 11/12/15 8:41 am - Canada

Thanks, I will keep you updated.

lammytee14
on 11/12/15 8:34 am

I've been working with the nurse practitioner and dietitian at the Ottawa clinic for my low blood sugar levels. I tracked food and blood sugar closely for two weeks then saw the dietitian. She tweaked my menu just a bit (who knew that those little hemp hearts could pack such a punch) and it's made a big difference...and also reminded me to eat regularly (meals and snacks) and get all my water in.

I'm happy to report the foggy head and lack of energy has drastically improved. I hope you hear back from the nurse at Guelph clinic shortly.

Good luck!

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

Donna1964
on 11/12/15 8:40 am - Canada

Thanks Tammy, how do you use the hemp hearts?

Donna

lammytee14
on 11/12/15 12:05 pm

I was told by the dietitian to add 2 tbsp in my breakfast (Source Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup Bran Buds) then another 2 tbsp in my Source Greek yogurt in the afternoon for my snack. It has a nice nutty taste...and about the size of a sesame seed. Besides being a great complex carb for the blood sugar issue I was having, the additional omegas have helped with bowels. It's been win-win.

I bought the Manitoba Harvest brand that the dietitian had on her desk. (She has packages from all kinds of foods in her office). It's pricey but the package I bought lasted 3 weeks which I thought was reasonable.

Have you heard back from the Guelph clinic yet?

Donna1964
on 11/12/15 12:57 pm - Canada

Hey there, thanks, I found a recipe on pinterest as well for a cranberry bread I want to try.  I will for sure add it to my yogurt in the afternoons.  Normally have toast and peanut butter for breakfast. May just do a second yogurt a day and have one in the morning.

Haven't heard anything back yet.  I am starting to feel better though.  Have made sure to eat every couple of hours. 

Donna :)

lammytee14
on 11/12/15 5:28 pm

Glad you are feeling better. Please still follow up with the nurse and dietitian to discuss what happened and the modifications you are making to your diet. It's best to have it documented on your file...just in case.

Dawn has posted good advice below too. The long-term vets are so great on this forum.

Most Active
Recent Topics