surgery tomorrow ... nervous ... question s

NorthernKat
on 12/8/15 7:23 pm

Nervous is an understatement but so ready.

Im concerned that I've not lost enough on opti fast ... anyone else experience this??

I have lost only 11lbs in little over 3 weeks but I've noticed an extreme change in my body I've dropped 2 plus pant sizes and have been incredibly physical at work and the gym... 

My trainer says that I'm also growing muscle... which could explain lack of pounds loss on the scale

Anyone else experience this?!?!?!

sfayad
on 12/8/15 8:39 pm - Canada

Good for you. You have worked so hard and as long as you've been compliant your absolutly fine. The weight loss is to shrink the liver and not so much about numbers. As long as you've got a weight loss then your fine. 

I have surgery in January and yes I've been nervous also. 

Just enjoy your journey into the new you in the future. 

Good luck and I hope all goes in your favour tomorrow and the future.  

Simon 

NorthernKat
on 12/8/15 8:58 pm

?thanks so much! Needless to say little sleep tonight ?

B-Trix123
on 12/8/15 9:58 pm - Toronto, Canada

I barely slept on the eve of my surgery -- I had to be up at 4:45 anyway. Make sure you have earplugs -- you can catch up on your sleep when they wheel you up to your room! Just think - by the weekend you will have recuperated and be set on the road to good health. Best wishes.

Shaffytaffy
on 12/8/15 10:06 pm
RNY on 11/03/15

It is a big surgery but the right support system and strong mental willpower will get you through this! My brother and I actually soldiered it to Montreal from Toronto the night before our surgery, had our RNYs, and 2 days post-op drove back  . not recommended, but i had to get back to write a midterm for uni :p you will be fine; this is only the start of your new life!

With the optifastt, i was put on it for 2 weeks and only lost 10lbs, the main objective of that is to shrink the liver to reduce risk during surgery. 

goodluck! 

MyLifeRNYWay
on 12/9/15 4:20 am
RNY on 12/04/15

Don't worry about the Opti weight loss at all. I was worried as well, but it really isn't about the pounds. As long as you stuck to the program, you will be fine. My surgeon told me on Friday that my liver was nice and small. I was on it for two weeks and I may have snuck a pickle in one or twice ;) Now I'm 5 days post and already lost 10 pounds.

its normal to be nervous, I had additional 2 hrs of that as my surgery was delayed. You will be just fine and you will wake up a new person the day after surgery :)

Good luck to you and remember to start moving as soon as you can.

Let us know how you're doing.

Referral: Aug 27/14, Orientation TWH: Jan 28/15, Social Worker: Apr 17/15, Nurse Practitioner: Jul 9/15, Nutrition Class: Jul 14/15, Psychologist: Aug 18/15, Nutritionist: Aug 28/15, Surgeon: Oct 2/15, RNY Surgery: Dec 4/15

Kittygirl001
on 12/9/15 5:21 am - Canada

Best of luck to you and I hope you have a speedy recovery!!!

Andrea,

Surgery Date: Dec. 16th, 2015

RNY 

Dr. Lindsay, St. Josephs Healthcare

HW:374, OPTI SW:365 (11/4/15), SW:332, CW: 198

Big_blue_eyes
on 12/9/15 6:13 am - Canada

I had my VSG surgery a week ago today and I hope everything goes well for you. Like everyone else has said get moving as soon as possible. Good luck and let us know how it went.

TK1966
on 12/9/15 6:50 am - Canada
RNY on 11/17/15

Good luck!

Referral made Sept 2014 / RNY @ TWH Nov 17, 2015 - Dr T Jackson

Height: 5' 10" | Born: 1966

Lost on 2 weeks Opti - 14.4

Post Surgery - M1 - 16.4| M2 - 16 | M3 - 16.2 | M4 - 10 | M5 - 10 | M6 - 6.2 | M7 - 6.2 | M8 - 1.6 | M9 - 3.6 | M10 - 2.4

TES
on 12/9/15 11:48 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi NorthernKat;

Oh good luck tomorrow!  What an awesome early Christmas present. :)  

The amount of weight you lose/don't lose on Optifast is really irrelevant.  I lost maybe 5 lbs on it after 3 weeks.  It's done in order to ensure your liver shrinks and isn't in the Surgeon's way while operating on you.  Mine was "perfect" according to my surgeon. :)  Any weight you lose on it is simply a bonus.

I wish you an easy surgery and a speedy recovery!

TES

Most Active
Recent Topics