Meet the Surgeon

Kris P.
on 12/9/15 8:45 am - Sarnia, Canada

I got the call today to meet the surgeon on December 21st via telehealth. (I am 3 hours away from Toronto). I only had surge ed class in Windsor a week and a half ago. Was shocked that they called so quickly. i was expecting 8 weeks. Can anyone tell me what to expect? What did you discuss in your meet the surgeon? Did you do it via telehealth or in person?

**Dr referral:Jan 8/2015 **Clinic letter:Jan 21/15**Orientation:Feb 12 2015**Nurse Consult 4/21/2015**Nutrition class: 5/5/2015**Surgery Education Class: 11/26/2015**Meet the Surgeon: 12/21/2015 via telehealth**Surgery 1/8/2016 TWH Dr Todd Penner**

pattidunn
on 12/9/15 9:00 am - Canada

I met my surgeon via Telehealth, Dr. Aart, It's just a meet and greet, they will ask you why you are wanting the surgery and if you have any questions about it, they will likely give you a date at that time and tell you how many weeks of opti you will need to do. I met with my surgeon on the 18th on November and I'm scheduled for surgery at Toronto East General next Tuesday Dec 15

Referral Date: June 9, 2015. Orientation July 17, 2015. First NP meeting October 2, 2015, Dietitian and Social worker meeting October 23, 2015. Pre-op meeting Nov 11, 2015, Tele - conference with Surgeon Dr. Aart Nov 18, 2015, Start Opti December 1, 2015, Surgery December 15, 2015

Live, Love, Laugh it's that simple

Ginnny
on 12/9/15 9:12 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

That's awesome Kris, and good luck to you.

Do you have to go to Windsor for the Telehealth call? I'm 2 hours from Windsor, 2 hours from Toronto, I just wondered if it could be arranged through a local hospital.  I'm sure they all have teleconferencing capabilities.

K.

Kris P.
on 12/9/15 9:14 am - Sarnia, Canada

Mine is here at home. No driving to Windsor anymore till after surgery! Thank god for that!

**Dr referral:Jan 8/2015 **Clinic letter:Jan 21/15**Orientation:Feb 12 2015**Nurse Consult 4/21/2015**Nutrition class: 5/5/2015**Surgery Education Class: 11/26/2015**Meet the Surgeon: 12/21/2015 via telehealth**Surgery 1/8/2016 TWH Dr Todd Penner**

Ginnny
on 12/9/15 9:18 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Nice, keep us updated.  I have follow up with the Dr. tomorrow and then wait for the surgery class, there is one next Thursday, so I hope they get me into that one.  I'll be referred to TWH so I'm following your progress!

I hear you about the drive to Windsor, especially tomorrow as I likely won't be with the Dr. for a 1/2 hour.

Kris P.
on 12/9/15 9:22 am - Sarnia, Canada

I luck out I live on a border so I hop the river and go states side turns a 2 1/2 hour drive to 45 mins

pattidunn
on 12/9/15 10:17 am - Canada

I met my surgeon via Telehealth, Dr. Aart, It's just a meet and greet, they will ask you why you are wanting the surgery and if you have any questions about it, they will likely give you a date at that time and tell you how many weeks of opti you will need to do. I met with my surgeon on the 18th on November and I'm scheduled for surgery at Toronto East General next Tuesday Dec 15

Referral Date: June 9, 2015. Orientation July 17, 2015. First NP meeting October 2, 2015, Dietitian and Social worker meeting October 23, 2015. Pre-op meeting Nov 11, 2015, Tele - conference with Surgeon Dr. Aart Nov 18, 2015, Start Opti December 1, 2015, Surgery December 15, 2015

Live, Love, Laugh it's that simple

sfayad
on 12/9/15 11:16 am - Canada

Hi kris congrats on the meeting the surgeon. I'm  scheduled to have surgery in Jan and just can't wait as its been a long journey as you are well aware. 

Kris expect to have the surgeon explain the surgery to you as to time ,duration and expectations post -op. 

You will be told to start the opti fast and a surgical date approx 4-6 weeks away. 

Im getting the RNY and assume you will too. The surgery is 3 hrs and then a short time in recovery and to your room. Them approx a 3 day stay to recover before discharge home. 

As  for pain you anesthesiologist will discuss this. 

But your  # 1 issue will be nausea.  And lots of it. You will be given IV Med to help you. And once resolve you will be D/C home. 

One word of advice to help you is as soo as you can getting back to your room is to GET UP AND WALK this will resolve gastric drainage and the cause of your discomfort and pain. 

So walk as soon as you can it will really help you. 

Kris this is the start of the rest of your life. 

Live take this very very very seriously as I hope you are too. 

It's  a new life that you can't wait to have. 

So have discipline once home and compliance is your best friend. 

Stay on this site it has a wealth of knowledge and experience you will not find anywhere else. 

Kris I'm an ER nurse and have worked in ER for 15 yrs. 

im 340 lbs with a goal wt of 200 lbs. 

so get a goal at and get to work as this is where all your hard work will show. 

Good luck and keep us all informed of your journey.  

Simon 

B-Trix123
on 12/9/15 2:23 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi Simon & Kris

Kris -- in this case when they say "Teleconference" - it just means a phone call. If you can put your phone on speaker, could be easier to take notes and manage your documents while you chat with them.

My meeting w/ the surgeon was at TWH. It was not reassuring by any account. The doctor was 2.5 hrs late and I spent less than 5 mins. with her. By the time she showed up, I was agitated and getting ready to leave for a business deadline. The doc I met at TWH did not perform my surgery -- it was done by Dr. Cyriac who I met 5 mins before going under the knife. Wish I had my "meet & greet" over the phone for all it was worth to me.  

Simon - so glad to read your posts with your invaluable medical expertise and sound advice. I had my surgery in August and my experience luckily did not include nausea -- my roommate had a couple of upchucks tho. Guess I was the exception and not the rule! Also, I was discharged in 2 days, not 3 as you mention here. I have read and heard that some patients are discharged the day after surgery. Strikes me as a little to soon - but I am not a medical professional!

I found and still find water consumption to be a challenge. It is so important not to let this slide.

Best to all on this road to health.

Seyenna
on 12/9/15 11:05 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

My teleconference was at a local place and it was via webcam/speakerphone. I'm in Barrie, so only an hour from the hospital but I was happy to be able to do the call on my lunch. 

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Most Active
Recent Topics