Target weight

marielewis
on 3/20/16 2:03 pm

My doctor never gave me a target weight. In fact we never spoke about my actual weight.   Mostly just risks 

did everyone else decide their ideal weight or the doctor told them? 

Ginnny
on 3/20/16 2:14 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

The surgeon never talked to me about a target weight either. I have one in mind but it's just what I picked. They didn't discuss all through the appointment phase either. 

MonaLisaSmile
on 3/20/16 3:34 pm - Canada

Nope...no one ever told me a target number.  They did however ask me if I had one.  I like thousands of other average height women thought 150 would be a good number.  That and the fact I remember being 150 BRIEFLY in the past and looking and feeling really good. 

I do recall they did mention that  healthy BMI stats are highly "unlikely" to achieve. (BAAAHHHHHH.....what do they know!!!)

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

marielewis
on 3/20/16 3:58 pm

I am confused.  They said you wouldn't be able to achieve a healthy bmi?  That seems kinda sad because that's my goal    Is that not the objective of all of this ..... To be healthy :-( 

MonaLisaSmile
on 3/20/16 5:12 pm - Canada

Yeah.  I have found that the people working at the clinic usually don't speak in a highly optimistic manor, nor have they offered any compliments.  (luckily I get lots of them elsewhere).  People tell me I'm soooo tiny now.......yet I'm technically 2 lbs from just kissing the "normal" BMI....YUP .... still classed as overweight!!!!  

Don't base HEALTH or SUCCESS on the BMI chart, its just a guide.  Some WLS people can carry tons of weight in just skin alone !!!

Don't be sad or discouraged by that...set your goal.. and never listen to anyone who says you CAN'T do something !!!!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

lammytee14
on 3/20/16 4:06 pm

When I went through the process in Ottawa they gave a weight range which was about 65% loss of extra weight to lose. But that's an average...some will lose and maintain a greater loss while others will lose but gain. There's a tool under "Resources" -> "Tool" ->"Post Op Planner"...enter your starting weight and height to get an idea.

I done expect to reach a normal BMI (don't get me wrong...I'd love it but I don't think it's realistic for me)...I'm quite happy at my current weight that has me as overweight...which is much better than morbidly obese. 

Everyone is different so it's hard to know for sure where our weights will end up.

Good luck!

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

marielewis
on 3/20/16 5:03 pm, edited 3/20/16 10:26 am

It told me I would only lose 25% of my excess weight which is 28 lbs.   doesn't that seem weird.  I weight 236 and my ideal weight is 125

Update.  I need to read the question before I freak out lol   It's all good 

Catw
on 3/22/16 7:43 am - Arnprior, Canada

When I went through Ottawa, they didn't set a target weight.  They want you to focus more on being healthy, then a number.

Actually, I don't think BMI is a true reading either.  It doesn't factor in body types, such as those with large bones, or those with a lot of muscle.  It's an average of an average.

Cathy

Most Active
Recent Topics