optifast ewww help

wiccandove
on 5/16/16 9:39 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Started optifast today. Seriously the stuff is making me nauseous. I had a chocolate one at breakfast and then I had some chicken broth at lunch and then I made the orange creamsicle recipe for dinner, which was tolerable but the aftertaste is killing me. I can't even imagine having 4 of these a day! Anyone have any tips? 

Can I eat cucumbers in addition to optifast or can it only be broth and sugar free jello?

In preparation for the morning I brewed 2 cups of black coffee, which I plan on blending with the chocolate one and some ice for breakfast.

Nikitabanana
on 5/17/16 12:05 am
RNY on 05/25/16

I'm on Opti right now - about to start day 7! My advice - plug your nose and chug followed by a chaser of ice water.

I have SF Toriani syrup's, flavour extracts (5 different ones), SF Kool-aid liquid, Crystal light, etc and to be honest I didn't like any of them in my Opti. I will say it gets better. Day 1 I could only get in 2 and I was gagging the whole time.

What I've found that works for me is about 400-450ml of water in my magic bullet with ice cubes blended well. Then I have my glass of water right beside me. I plug my nose and chug my Opti and take water after each chug.  I will say you might get used to it I hated it at first but now find its not that its a terrible taste I just prefer not to taste it. 

It honestly fills me up and once I got in ketosis I wasn't physically hungry anymore, I would say that happened around day 4. I can only get in 3 shakes a day and the clinic said this was ok. I also haven't had any veggies (HRRH allows up to 2 cups of certain veggies a day) but not all clinics allow that - you should check with your clinic.

Something else I learned was to wash out my blender cup right away - its turns hard and grainy glue-like otherwise, lol

Good luck!

Referral sent: 1/26/15 / Sleep study: 2/23/15 / Orientation: 4/20/15 HRRH / Meet Dr. Hagen: 11/17/15 (no show) / Meet Dr. Klein: 12/10/15 / Trio appointments: 2/11/16 / Follow up appointment SW and RD: 3/16/16 / Dr. Glazer: 3/30/16 / Dr. Klein: 5/9/16 / Surgery date 5/25/16

Referral sent: 1/26/15 / Sleep study: 2/23/15 / Orientation: 4/20/15 HRRH / Meet Dr. Hagen: 11/17/15 (no show) / Meet Dr. Klein: 12/10/15 / Trio appointments: 2/11/16 / Follow up appointment SW and RD: 3/16/16 / Dr. Glazer: 3/30/16 / Dr. Klein: 5/9/16 / Surgery date 5/25/16 / LBL with Dr. Nandagopal 3/9/18 - PS SW 155

HW - 280. Opti start - 280. Surgery day - 266. CW - 142.

Glimmer78
on 5/17/16 3:41 am, edited 5/16/16 8:41 pm - Ontario, Canada

I've been mixing them with ice and water, and they haven't been too bad. I was told to use a cup with a lid and drink it with a straw.  It helps to hide the smell.  Good luck with day 2!

Referral-Feb/15, Orientation HRRH-May 29/15, Dr. Hagen-Dec. 14/15, Sleep study-Dec. 16/15, Trio app't-Feb. 2/16, Follow-up SW & RD-Mar.14/16, Dr. Glazer-Mar. 30/16, Dr. Hagen - May 3/16, Surgery - June 6/16

Ginnny
on 5/17/16 4:20 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

If your surgery is at TWH then no you can't have any vegetables. 

Leslie W.
on 5/17/16 6:11 am - Cobourg, Canada

If going to twh no veggies. Blend with lots of ice. Having it cold helps. Just chug it back. I like the vanilla with sf vanilla syrup blended with lots of ice in bullet.  Dont forget to takue some benefibre. People either get constipated orthe optitrots. Drink lots of water. I always had water with me. Honestly I did not mind opti. Post op i wished i could of had it again as it took the guess work of what to eat.

When I had to work I would blend up my opti in am with ice then add more ice to keep cold. Just needed to shake container and it was good.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Patm
on 5/17/16 6:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
On May 17, 2016 at 4:39 AM Pacific Time, wiccandove wrote:

Started optifast today. Seriously the stuff is making me nauseous. I had a chocolate one at breakfast and then I had some chicken broth at lunch and then I made the orange creamsicle recipe for dinner, which was tolerable but the aftertaste is killing me. I can't even imagine having 4 of these a day! Anyone have any tips? 

Can I eat cucumbers in addition to optifast or can it only be broth and sugar free jello?

In preparation for the morning I brewed 2 cups of black coffee, which I plan on blending with the chocolate one and some ice for breakfast.

You have been given some great suggestions. Also try the Ontario recipes site for suggestions. I used instant coffee for the three weeks I was on it. I couldn't tolerate any other flavourings

wiccandove
on 5/17/16 6:48 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

THanks guys - it helps to know I'm not the only one who finds this stuff repulsive lol. It was much better this morning adding 2 cups of cold black coffee instead of water and 1 cup of ice to the chocolate one in the blender. Also using a straw helps tons.

I don't understand why they can't offer an "optisoup" or something that tastes like real food instead of some kind of sweet, shake type drink. 

lammytee14
on 5/17/16 8:12 am

Adding spoonful of instant decaf coffee to either flavor is good plus at least 500ml of water and ice. The colder the better. Think of it as iced lattes and iced mochas if it helps get you through!

Good luck!

Tammy

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

ashleybeachmom
on 5/17/16 6:57 am

For the first few days, with it only with water, I found it chalky and gross also.  My clinic allows imitation or artificial extracts to be added since no calorie.  The vanilla one tastes good in magic bullet with exact brand berry Metamucil, the chocolate one tastes good in big blender with coconut extract and ice, and both flavors taste good with decaf coffee granules and caramel extract.  I can not imagine drinking them plain, but sort of getting used to them with other stuff. We are not allowed jello or cucumbers...only celery and no salt broth which I both find disgusting ;(

Catw
on 5/17/16 9:37 am - Arnprior, Canada

You've had lots of great tips. Just remember you can't substitute broth for Opti, you do need the 4 Opti each day.  It's easier if you schedule them out so that they are even through the day.  Especially if you are hungry in between.  And drink lots of water.

Drinking them as cold as you can make it, without freezing, helps and adjusting the water.  Making it thinner may help.  I haven't heard of "Opti Soup", but I have heard of people mixing it thick and eating it like pudding.  Just keep trying flavours out, maybe splitting each shake to try multiple flavours at a time until you find one you like.

As for what all you can eat, your centre should have provided information on what you are limited to.  Each one is different.

Cathy

Most Active
Recent Topics