A Bit Frustrated!

pynkSparklyBling
on 8/6/16 12:19 pm

So, I finally had my appointment with my family doctor yesterday and asked for a bariatric clinic referral. I had documented all the times I had lost weight in the past (and gained it back), all the times I had gone to him or anyone else for help in losing weight.  I also told him about how I have been trying to lose some weight for the past six months, showed him my food log (that was done using MyFitnessPal).  I went to him about six months ago, and he put me on a strict diet (about 900 - 1000 calories a day).  I have been following it diligently, and have only lost 15lbs (about .5 lb a week). I am tired all the time, hungry and cranky.  I have PCOS and pre-diabetes and have been asking him over two years to consider putting me on Metformin.  I am doing the hard work, eating crap I don't like, and following exactly what he says to the letter.  

I have been considering WLS for about three years and I finally had worked up the courage to ask him for a referral to the clinic here in Guelph.  He told me I wasn't working hard enough and I should go down to 800 calories a day (is that even safe?) and increase my exercise by 45 minutes. I am already working out an hour a day (cardio and strength training) 6 days a week.  When I started this diet, I was 287 lbs.  I'm now 262lbs but I feel I am working very hard for very little in return.   I also feel that considering my history with yo-yo dieting, I need this tool to have any sort of long term success. I am at the point that I am considering switching family doctors but I really don't know what to do from here.  Have any of you experienced this?  I am not sure where to go from here. He is denying me a referral and I don't know what to do.  

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/16 12:32 pm - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi there! 

Im sorry your doctor isn't being very helpful, if you feel the need to switch I'd definitely recommend it.

However, it doesn't have to be your primary family doctor that refers you.

pynkSparklyBling
on 8/6/16 12:37 pm

Hi Tanya! Thanks for your reply! How would I go about getting a doctors referral?  Go to a walk in clinic or something?

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/16 1:10 pm - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

I would try and see if there's a women's health clinic in your area.  I have heard of them being able to help.

crqvingchange
on 8/6/16 1:06 pm

If you have surgery, the nutritionist at Guelph told me I had to eat between 600-800 calories per day during the losing phase.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Lovely_Caprice
on 8/6/16 1:57 pm

So sorry you have to go through all of it.  I know exactly what you mean.  Did it, been there etc... I did finally ask for a referral and I am getting my RNY on 9 September.  I was frustrated just like you.  Did the 800 calories diet for months and I lost most of my weight but it all came back.  So don't get discouraged, keep pushing until you get your referral.  Good Luck!

Leslie W.
on 8/6/16 2:48 pm - Cobourg, Canada

It was my endocrinologist who put my referral in. It can be a nurse practioner too. Who do you see for your pcos? There are still gp out there that don't get it unfortunately. Eating 800 cal post wls is no problem. Heck even hitting 400 is a challenge at the beginning. Aas wls iss a longg proceess speak with your gp iff you do not have another that you will continue with diet and exercise while you wait.

Good luck

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
skinny_gigi
on 8/6/16 5:03 pm

You can try the wharton clinic they did my referral.  my dr would do my referral but since I was going to wharton I just let them do it... I don't know if there is one close to you but I would give it a try...the surgery and the clinic are separate things so once you get the referral you don't have to keep going (I guess)...I still go but there is a location close to me.

good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics