Slimband Patients?

fromfattohealthy
on 9/20/16 7:45 am - Canada

Just wondering if there is any slimband patients here...

Have had my Band for a year and completely unhappy with it. No weight loss (despite following guidelines, working out with a trainer, tried multiple plans), port is on its side and hard to access, have been getting lots of stuck episodes lately...

Looking into a revision to a sleeve but have no idea where to start. Anyone else? Anyone happy with their lap band?

Leslie W.
on 9/20/16 10:43 am - Cobourg, Canada

Don't have band but I believe you would have to apply via bariatric registry for change

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
dabee68
on 9/20/16 12:34 pm

I too am a slimband patient, i had my band for two years now with very little weight loss. out of the 40lbs lost almost half was from pre-op. really with they had follow up in thunder bay.

fromfattohealthy
on 9/20/16 1:04 pm - Canada

There was no post op support for me and now that it's been a year I have to pay out of pocket for a fill. They claim to have support but it is non existent! 

Tracks
on 9/20/16 12:49 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I'm not sure this helps... and it's all second hand... but....

A very good friend of mine has the slimband.  She has been very happy.  The only complaint I hear from her is the acid reflux. Sounds like her throat has even been damaged because of it.  Someone told her it comes with age - not sure I'm convinced.  

She lost the weight she wanted to lose.  It's only a fraction of the weight I need to lose, which is one of the reasons I didn't consider the band.  I don't think she would have even been close to qualifying for WLS.  It may be an unfair assumption, but in my mind the band is helpful more for those with a little weight to lose.  

I know she intends to keep it forever, she thinks if it was ever removed, she gain it all back immediately.

fromfattohealthy
on 9/20/16 1:06 pm - Canada

Thank you. 

My BMI is above 40, and to get to my "goal weight" I have about 85lbs to lose. I don't know if that is considered "enough" for the Sleeve procedure. I just feel completely discouraged and frustrated. I thought that the band was a great option for me and would be life changing but that's definitely not the case. 

Tracks
on 9/20/16 1:46 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out well for you.  I think you'll find if you do decide to take the WLS route, you can find a lot of great resources and support.  This forum has been fabulous, and I have joined a few in-person groups that has been so helpful as well.   Good luck to you.

ladygodiva1228
on 9/21/16 10:51 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Your friend may be happy with her band, but the unfortunate news would be she will have it removed sooner or later.  The acid reflux is most likely caused by the band and if she has throat damage already keeping the band will only cause more issues and potentially throat cancer. 

May band patients have permanent damage done whether it is esophagus issues or vagus nerve damage. 

Your friend should really get her throat looked at to make sure she doesn't end up with barrett's esophagus.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Tracks
on 9/21/16 11:15 am - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

Thank you for this.  I will speak to her again.  I think as others have echoed here, there isn't much support for her from her centre.  

TDotDana
on 9/20/16 6:46 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

I have had the slimband since March 2013 - so just over 3 years - I lost weight pretty good for the first year - lost about 40 lbs plus almost 20 from pre-op.

Did my fills - had a de-fill (only because I was going on a 2 week cruise across the Atlantic - and didn't want to chance it - only took out 1 cc) - but was never happy.

I agree - there is little to no support - I felt like a criminal any time I called and asked questions - I regretted my decision to buy this very expensive piece of plastic - almost from day 1 - they really don't care about you once you are out of the post op phase.

Trying to get a fill - is harder then getting through security at the airport!

After 3.5 years - my band all of a sudden tightened up so tight that I could not even ge****er down - I went for a de-fill - and was told this was totally normal after having it for over 3 years - and I really shouldn't be worried.

I had 2 CCs removed - told them they would never see or hear from me again - because I was getting gastric bypass - she seemed to think this was an odd decision - like I was the first person to every not be happy with SlimBand.

Go through the process - I don't think you will get the sleeve though - the Roux-en-Y is the gold standard and very few get the sleeve in Ontario - but I also read that going from the band to a sleeve is not recommended - because they are very similar with similar results.

Good luck with whatever you decide - and I do feel your pain

HW - 283lbs (1991)** LW - 206lbs (2014)**CW 265lbs **Slimband - March 8, 2013 ** 275lbs @ Preop Diet**  261lbs on surgery day**Referral TWH - Feb'16**Orientation TWH - May 11/16**Psychologist TWH (Dr Wnuk) - June 24/16 ** Social Work (Anna Wallwork) - July 20/16 **Nurse (Wei Wang) - July 25/16 ** Nutrition Class (Lorraine Gougeon) - Aug 15/16    Endoscopy TWH - Aug 18/16  Dietician (Laura Scott) - Sept 15/16 Surgeon Dr Okrainek Nov 18/16 ** PreOP @ TWN Jan 9/17 *** RNY & Lap Band Removal Surgery @ TWH Jan 23/17 w/ Dr Urbach

Most Active
Recent Topics