So....tell me about your WLS support group

SkottiRNY
on 11/23/16 2:55 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hey everyone,

Yes, tell me about your support group. What do you guys talk about? Do you have set discussions? Do you just do a "round table"? I want to know what you like about your support group, and what you don't like. What helps you the most. 

Lets discuss.   :)

Cheers,

Skotti 

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

IamBettyCooper
on 11/24/16 8:19 pm

I am in an online support group and find it very helpful. People are very encouraging and there is tons of information shared.  Some medical, some emotional.

I did try the support group at the hospital but didn't find that it was for me, just didn't gel with the other people in the group.

In terms of real world interaction, I had a friend who had WLS and she's been a great ear.  And I met a really cool lady at my pre op at the hospital and we ended up booked for the same follow up appts at the hospital too so we chat online a lot.  Helps just to have someone to vent to about life and to share with re the changes happening.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

SkottiRNY
on 11/25/16 4:39 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hi, IamBettyCooper!

Thanks for the reply. What sort of topics do you folks talk about? Or is it just random "hi, this is me, and I am ...." type conversations? 

If you do have topics, do you find that it helps keep people motivated for these meetings/groups? 

Again, thanks.

Cheers,

Skotti 

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

RNY July 7, 2015

IamBettyCooper
on 11/27/16 5:45 am

We talk about all kinds of things.  Sometimes people ask for advice handling situations.  Sometimes people share food, recipe, or workout tips.  Sometimes just little funny memes to give people a laugh.  Even sometimes delicate issues about physical things or even relationships.  And I've learned more about nutrition for WLS patients that I did from the dieticians at the hospital. The person who started a group has one rule ... no judging and everything must be positive.  So unlike some online groups I encountered (full of bariatric mean girls), this one is all about encouragement and support.  It's been really beneficial.  And I love the positivity in the group.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Dilli
on 11/26/16 5:22 pm
RNY on 05/04/17

I have only just joined the group because I am pre op. The meeting was very informative and welll run.  The subject of that meeting was how to deal with colds and flu after RNY surgery. Medications,  things to avoid etc.

It seems like there is a topic for each meeting along with a general gab session. 

This week is pot-luck so even better ;)

thisgirl
on 11/28/16 7:44 am

Mind sharing some of those tips? I just went through a really nasty child two weeks post.op and it was hard as anything.

(surgery - Nov 4)

Lorraine M.
on 12/6/16 7:36 pm, edited 12/7/16 8:11 am - Canada

Hi Skotti,

I coordinate the Toronto West/Etobicoke support group. We are a very informal group who have been meeting for over 5 years. We meet monthly and I post the dates. We are a very welcoming group. So far we have only had ladies but guys are welcome too. We do not set any agenda, we discuss the topics that are needed by the group at that particular time depending on who is there. For example if any pre-ops attend I try to make sure that the discussion focusses around their questions. If the group is mostly 4-5 years post op our issues are different. We may discuss things such as struggles with regain, relationships, food tracking, bloodwork results and new wls concerns, or anything new we may have learned and want to share. We are not set up as a business meeting with any particular leader. We are more like a nice group of friends that share a journey non WLS people just don't understand. After introductions of any new people we just talk. We are all good communicators so we don't seem to have a problem talking and the time just flies by. Sometimes we digress to non WLS topics but maybe that is why we stick together. We have formed personal connections with knowledge and caring for each others lives.

It is extremely important that we remain positive and supportive. People sometimes join for awhile and then drop off and then maybe come back. We are non judgemental. We have all walked in those same shoes and know exactly what others may be going through.  

Our original group is 3 now up to 5 and I always try to make sure that I coordinate that most of that core group is able to attend. We usually have anywhere from 8 to 10 attendees per meeting.We just meet at a Tim Hortens/Wendys and our dates are flexible. Prior to ending our coffeechat we all check our calendars and tentatively set our next date. Closer to that date I check with the core group and either keep and post that date or change it to something better for all of us. We usually stay for about 2 hours.

I have to say that I really love my support group. I feel happy after we meet and look forward to it every month. On occasion one attendee may not like another one and that will sometimes happen but as long as our group stays positive and respectful we stay going. Some people travel a fair distance to come to our coffeechat.

Most of us are on various online groups but get the most from our face to face monthly get togethers.

Why were you asking? I sensed a feeling that people were reluctant to answer.

SkottiRNY
on 12/7/16 3:45 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Thanks Lorraine M! 

I think my asking about this was to see how other groups meetings flow. We have a great group of people, usually around 20 people. Most of them women, and maybe one other guy aside from me. We are pretty smooth flowing, but I have noticed some people seem concerned about a lack of topics. I feel that it is some of the new people, there for their first time, that are really in need up "support". Others that show up for their first time usually seem inundated with information from everyone's experience....but, those new people appreciate all that info. Some people that have been to a few when they were early post-op, seemed to have dwindled off because they felt that it was just a place for people to brag. These people that feel that way are the ones that have struggled the most. I can see how they might feel even more discouraged hearing about everyone else's "success". Not that people are "bragging", but they are excited to share their success by discussing how much weight they have lost. We have mentioned to these successful people to be mindful of the others that are there and may be struggling. I am not the organizer of the group, merely a member. We have built a great relationship with one another as well. The support is amazing. 

Primarily, I just wanted to see how others felt about their local groups that they attend. If there was something they like, or don't like. Or if they think there should be other ways that the meetings go from they way it is now. 

Thanks again for the reply.

Cheers,

Skotti

My YouTube Channel

RNY July 7, 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics