Moving this to Ontario from the RNY forum...

kyena
on 12/5/16 11:34 am
RNY on 02/16/17

Hi forum! (Sorry for the double posting)...

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been going through the process of getting surgery in Ontario, Canada. 

A bit about me:

29 F, non smoker, non drinker

Weight (September/16): 305lbs

Height: 5'11

Co-morbidities:

DM Type 2 (Summer 2014) last A1C: 8.2

Hypertension (Summer 2013)

Sleep apnea (Summer 2013)

Progress so far:

August 22, 2014 - Referral to Weight Management Clinic (Civic Hospital, Ottawa)

Jan 16, 2015 - Info session

April 20, 2015 - Initial Assessment

June 4, 2015 - Abdominal ultrasound (clear)

June 26, 2015 - Endoscopy (found ulcer)

August 4, 2015 - Dietitian/Behaviourist (work on increasing protein, take multivitamin + D3)

August 23, 2015 - Endoscopy #2 (ulcer gone!)

I was supposed to have a follow up with Dietitian/Behaviourist in fall 2015, but I went through a bit of a depression and took time to go to counselling and get myself back on track (edit: My depression is non-weight related and I have adequate supports. The clinic has not asked me to see their in-house psychiatrist because it is already well managed). I contacted the Clinic again in August 2016 and they reactivated my file. Since then I have had:

July 11, 2016 - Pre-surgery 1 class

October 24, 2016 - Second Assessment

December 7, 2016 - Dietitian/Behaviourist

I still struggle to reach my protein intake, but have been doing better with tracking my food (My Fitness Pal at least 5 days/week) and my blood sugar (MySugr app to track - need my A1C to be under 8.8 for surgery).

I feel emotionally ready and I understand the lifelong commitment surgery requires, but I am wondering if I am on track to get approved for surgery.

How were you all doing before getting approval?  

crqvingchange
on 12/5/16 6:03 pm

You should be able to get approval.  Your weight and your comorbidities meet the criteria.  As for getting your hbA1C below 8.8, I would suggest limiting your diet to lean protein, non-starchy vegetables (peppers, green beans, mushrooms) and for now eliminating all grains, rice, fruit, sugars and high lactose dairy.  In addition, try to eat a small protein snack before bed (that will help stop your liver from dumping glycogen in the night).  Also exercising first thing in the morning when your sugars are usually the highest will help bring the numbers down.  Hope this helps.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

kyena
on 12/8/16 12:09 pm
RNY on 02/16/17

Thanks for all the replies... Well I had my follow up with the dietitian/behaviourist and they both cleared me!

A couple things I need to keep working on... adding potein (I am about 15g shy of my requirement) and continuing to increase time after eating before drinking (I am currently up to 15 mins).

I was worried they would want to see me again before moving forward, but they both said that I am going in the right direction and things are looking good.

Pre-surgery 2 class in the next 1.5-2 weeks, then meeting surgeon in next 4-6 weeks, and surgery in about 3-4 months!

Most Active
Recent Topics