***UPDATE***first time telling my family doctor

Gen27
on 7/24/17 10:01 am, edited 7/25/17 4:13 pm - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

Hi guyssss, i finally did it!!

I was soooooo nervous. I felt sick, my belly hurt.. Oh my!!

I went there with a list of why I thought it would be a great option for me. I just started by explaining to her that only by being in her office, that it was a huge step for me, that I was thinking about it for a lonnnnnng time. Then I paused, and said. "I want to talk to you about a refferal for a weight lost surgery"

She just smiled and said "I think it's a great idea"

Mind you, she followed me for over 2 years now, she knows my history, and she see that I fail at most of the thing I try to lose weight. She will send my name to 3 doctor. :)

I cannot wait, i'm on board now, and so happy I finally did it!!

-------------------

Hi Guys,

I am nervous as can be!

Tomorrow, I finally have my appointment with my family doctor to ask about putting my name on our waiting list. I live in new brunswick Canada. I am nervous, I feel traped in my body! I cannot wait to see if she agree with me. I was thinking for a long time now about talking to her about it, but thought my family wouldn't support me. about 2-3 weeks ago, I was speaking with my mom and we came across this subject, and she showed me alot of support towards it, after that I spoke with my husband, hes also on board!!

Can you share with me your story of when it all started for you? How it went?

thanks in advance,

Genevieve

SweetRide1
on 7/24/17 11:56 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I had been thinking for approx. 2 years about doing this. I always thought it was a cop out - taking the easy way out. How wrong is that?!

I have dieted my whole life. Up/down/up/down - succeed/fail/succeed/fail. It was an endless circle.

I decided to "diet" one more time in January and if I failed I was going to request surgery. I failed.

I then decided that I needed to stop trying to change and accept me for who I was and what I looked like. I gained 25 lbs.

When I stepped on the scale and saw my weight I cried. I wanted to fix it but just couldn't do it without acknowledging I had a problem I couldn't fix without help. I had never been this heavy. I was ashamed, humiliated and horrified. This had to stop. I was tired of trying to fix it by myself.

I made an appointment and went to see my family doctor who was wonderful. She thought it was a great idea and encouraged me to do it. She sent the referral in right away.

My partner has always been supportive but not over the top. I think he wanted to be supportive but wasn't really on board. I took him to the orientation with me because I thought it would make him understand better. So I came away from the Orientation freaked out and filled with anxiety and he talked "me down". From that point on, we have become a team in all of this. In fact, I would say that we had some extremely good heart to heart discussions that have made us a better couple in the end.

My co-workers are thrilled for me, my sister was a bit hesitant but then she did some reading and she's on board. A few friends don't quite know what to say or do. I got a blank stare from one who actually said, she didn't know what to say. Funny.

I have my last two tests (HOPEFULLY) tomorrow and then I guess I wait to hear the results.

I'm getting anxious now. My head is in the right place and I want to move forward. Patience is not my strong suit.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Gen27
on 7/25/17 5:58 am - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

I feel the exact same way, I went through the same thing as you, but when I was dieting, I was almost starving myself. so I think that's why now the weight just keep going up even if i am eating small portion, my body absorb anything in case I decide to starve myself again. I hope i'm explaining myself right!!! :P

today is the day, oh my gosh!!

Kathy1212
on 7/25/17 9:05 am

My family doctor was totally against it at first. I had to tell him that I wasn't even sure if I wanted it or not, but I at least wanted the opportunity to get real information about it at the orientation rather than rely on the Internet. So he referred me. He wasn't thrilled when I went ahead with it and told me half of his patients who had the surgery are doing great but half are having difficult time with nausea, gas, stomach upset, difficulty eating, etc.

Now he's one of my biggest supporters and agrees it was a good decision for me.

I did not tell my family or most of my friends at all while I was going through the pre op process. They are all huge over reactors and no matter what anyone does, it always ends up with someone screaming, yelling, arguing, etc. Then the gossip factory starts and I didn't want to be a part of that. I told a few very close friends, and my ex sister in law, who I'd be staying with during pre op and surgery. I didn't tell my parents until the day before I needed to fly out for the pre op meet the team visit, 3 weeks before surgery. I assured them it was much safer now than it had been in the past, that I had a good surgeon who did many of these surgeries every year, and that there's only be a few tiny incisions. My Dad was immediately supportive (he's big too), but my Mom flipped out and didn't come on board until I started losing weight. Now she tells everyone it's the best thing I've ever done for myself.

The rest of the family found out after surgery.

Once it was a done deal, people were supportive.

In the end, this is your decision. Good luck.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

SweetRide1
on 7/25/17 2:08 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Gen27 how did it go? Hopefully you have good news to share.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Gen27
on 7/25/17 4:07 pm - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

Hi!!

I was soooooo nervous. I felt sick, my belly hurt.. Oh my!!

I went there with a list of why I thought it would be a great option for me. I just started by explaining to her that only by being in her office, that it was a huge step for me, that I was thinking about it for a lonnnnnng time. Then I paused, and said. "I want to talk to you about a refferal for a weight lost surgery"

She just smiled and said "I think it's a great idea"

Mind you, she followed me for over 2 years now, she knows my history, and she see that I fail at most of the thing I try to lose weight. She will send my name to 3 doctor. :)

I cannot wait, i'm on board now, and so happy I finally did it!!

oneatatime
on 7/26/17 9:43 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Congratulations!!! That's great. Asking for the referral is a huge step. It is nerve wracking for many of us. My doctor reacted just like yours did, and I was so relieved! Now, every time I see him, he's super excited for me and asks where I'm at in the process. He keeps telling me how different my life is going to be after surgery... that I don't even know yet! I'm his third patient he's referred, and he's referred 2 more since me.

Congrats again!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

GrammaT
on 7/28/17 8:55 am

Omg that's going to be on Monday lol congratulations for doing it. I'm anxious to talk to her but I too will push forward and get it out lol.

Gen27
on 8/4/17 5:23 am - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

hi, how it went? :)

GrammaT
on 8/4/17 8:46 am

It went well and was easier then I thought it would be . lol She refered me now just waiting for the call.She felt it was a good idea and was supportive of the choice I have made.

Most Active
Recent Topics