NEWBIE! Looking for some guidance.

erin_mae
on 9/4/17 9:10 am

Hi Everyone!

My name is Erin, and I'm new here. I'm currently investigating WLS and trying to learn all I can. I live in Sudbury, and have had my GP refer me to the Ontario Bariatric Network. I'm in the process of waiting for my info package to come and to complete with all the forms that come with that.

I was wondering if some people could let me know how this whole process works with the OBN. I gather its pretty involved from what I have seen on some other posts. If theres a thread here that explains it could someone point me in that direction? Thanks all!

SweetRide1
on 9/4/17 12:11 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Welcome!

I am pre-op at this point and got a referral at the end of May. What I have found is that although we are all going through the process it does somewhat vary from Hospital to Hospital.

I am going through St. Joe's in Hamilton however, all my pre-op "stuff" is being handled by the Wharton Clinic while others are going through the hospital.

In a nutshell, it is a process and in some areas takes longer than others. An initial orientation is the first step. Then an appointment with the nurse who gives you a bunch of info and explains how it all works. A number of tests are required depending on individuals and their current health status. The nurse had requisition forms all ready for me at my first appt. For me, ECG, bloodwork, abdominal ultrasound, colonoscopy, endoscopy and a sleep study were all required.

I met with the Social Worker and the Dietician. If there are other things that need to be dealt with, such as emotional eating, food addiction etc., there is the possibility that you may need to see a therapist to work through some of those issues.

Then you start working on changes. Carbonated beverages and caffeine need to go. If you smoke, that has to stop. Start eating healthier with a focus on low carb foods and creating new habits. Drinking more water, taking supplements, eating protein first. All the stuff you will need to do after surgery.

While you are working on this, you wait. I'm currently waiting to hear the results of all of my tests. I have an appt on the 14th to follow up with the Dietician but nothing yet on a meeting regarding results. I think I'll hear more at the dietician appt. Depending on results, you move on or perhaps some things need to be dealt with prior to moving forward. I know that if you test positive for H pylori then a course of antibiotics is required.

And then you wait some more to get an appt with the surgeon.

Timelines vary depending on the region. I've seen some people here wait 2 years for surgery while others a year and some a bit less.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

erin_mae
on 9/4/17 6:16 pm

Hi SweetRide1!

Thanks for the welcome and the info!

I'm lucky that I'm in Sudbury, as we have a Regional Assessment and Treatment Centre for OBN here. I'll have to travel for surgery, but I'm pretty sure most other things can be done here in town.

I like to think that i'm (generally) pretty healthy, but we will see what wonderful tests they decide to send me for. I'm really hoping not to have to do a sleep study. I had to do one before, and it was the worst sleep of my life. I don't know how they learned anything from it, I don't think I actually slept.

I'm thankful that I'm not a smoker and I'm not a big drinker of soda, thats a few things off the list. I am big on coffee though. First I do the coffee, then I do the things. Its pretty bad actually, if I don't have at least one cup during the day I will end up with a migraine so bad it makes me vomit. So that will be a challenge. Did you have to switch over to using artificial sweeteners? I really, really hate the way they taste. I don't put it in my coffee, but I do like to sweeten my tea.

I'm glad you could give me some information about what they expect of you pre-surgery. The earlier I can start making changes, the better off I'll be I think.

SweetRide1
on 9/4/17 7:17 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I can't speak to whether they "force" you to switch to sweeteners. All I can say is that it is a low carb plan so I choose sweeteners so as to keep within my carb quota. I'd rather eat complex carbs and get nutritional value than to blow my carbs on sugar. Keep in mind that post surgery, some people can't tolerate sugar at all and have dumping syndrome.

I cut back my caffeine slowly and now drink one cup of decaf a day with a sweetener and light cream. It took some doing, but it works.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/17 12:25 pm, edited 9/4/17 5:25 am - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

Welcome to the group Erin, I'm pretty new too. :)

The above post was very comprehensive so I have little to add, except...

I'm going through TWH so it may be different for you but I know my first contact with the OBN came in the form of a questionnaire that came in the mail along with my date for orientation. Now, I almost waited a few days to open the letter. Fortunately, I didn't as the letter was time-sensitive. I had 1 week to have it mailed back to them or I had to go through the referral process all over again which was over 2 months for me. I did my orientation in June and they stress all the ways you can be removed from the program. Missing too many appointments, smoking are all ways to be removed then you have to wait 365 days to be re-referred. My first appointment is next week and I'm nervous and excited.

Another great thing is it may be possible to have your appointments without going into the hospital for most of them. My appointment next week is at a local doctor's office so I don't have to traipse into the city and miss a day of work.

Good luck!

erin_mae
on 9/4/17 6:20 pm

Hi KarenKim!

Thanks for the welcome, good to know that the letter is time sensitive! I usually don't hesitate with my mail though. I love letters so long as I know its not a bill.

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/17 4:54 pm, edited 9/4/17 9:54 am

Welcome!!! Hello! I am going though TWH not post yet either!

Most Active
Recent Topics