New Member - Considering Bariatric Surgery

meontheweb
on 6/23/18 10:52 pm - New Westminster, BC, Canada

Hello,

I'm new here. Found this site from a document over at the Richmond Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery site.

Long story, but it's relevant hope I don't bore you. :-)

I'm 50-years old, and have been overweight most of my life.

Last year I was laid off, I was a senior manager. It has been difficult finding new work - not because there isn't work out there, there is a lot however as soon as the interviewers meet with me the meetings are very short and a few days later I find out they went with other candidates. I am POSITIVE that this is due to my weight and because of that my appearance - doesn't help that I sweat like crazy carrying around all that extra weight.

I DO NOT have any hang-ups on my appearance, however I am overweight by at least 100lbs and know I need to lose the weight.

I am seriously considering bariatric surgery and in fact will visit my family doctor next week (I live in British Columbia, Canada) to discuss this, he may tell me to see my endocrinologist (I have Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and Cholesterol). I am excited about this, but also scared.

What worries me most about rapid weight loss is loose sagging skin. Does this happen to EVERYONE that goes through this procedure? I've seen others that have lost a lot of weight in a short period of time however they have not had loose/saggy skin. What can be done to prevent loose/saggy skin if you go through bariatric surgery?

I'd appreciate any feedback that you could provide regarding bariatric surgery (I will ask to be referred to the Richmond Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery program at the Richmond Hospital).

Thanks,

M

oneatatime
on 6/24/18 5:13 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Welcome. I know job loss and transition is difficult.

This journey has been incredible, life changing for me I all ways. I am down over 100 lbs, with lots more to go... I have loads of sagging skin already, but look and feel so much better. I hope to be able to afford plastics one day.

I heard a lot in your post... like: when did you decide you can't get a job cause you're overweight? I would really suggest that's not true. It sounds like I was more overweight than you, and was wildly successful finding jobs

Sure, you can do the surgery, lose the weight... but I would suggest also to really explore your motivation. If you are only doing this to get a job (because you are positive you won't be successful in your job search otherwise), as soon as you get a job, your motivation will likely be gone. If that's after your surgery, you may gain your weight back. I would really consider seeing a certified professional coach... someone who can help you dispel these decisions you made that aren't serving you, and help you figure out if this journey is for you.

I wish you all the best. Feel free to reach out anytime to me.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

meontheweb
on 6/25/18 8:25 pm - New Westminster, BC, Canada

Thanks...

Yes and no as my motivation. Yes in a sense, but also no because I'm tired of being overweight. I understand that there is up to 2-year wait and during that time I have to keep detailed food log - so I have started that and will join a gym. Perhaps within that 2-years time I'll be able to put that weight off.

But that's half the battle. The other half is keeping it off and that's where I struggle.

I went to WW when I was in my late teens, early twenties and lost the weight. But couldn't keep it off.

I suppose I'm still not sure if this is the right step for me so am exploring what other people went through and their reasons to ensure I'm also taking this (drastic) step for the right reasons.

M

SweetRide1
on 6/24/18 11:30 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Welcome!

I am down 125 lbs in total. I lost some prior to surgery and now I'm on a role! I'm 57 years old and I have sagging skin. I didn't think I would have the skin issue but I do. I have 30ish lbs to go so it will be interesting to see where I end up with all this skin.

At some point I will have plastic surgery I'm just not sure what I will attack first. TBH, in clothes, you would never know so I'm not terribly worried about it. I feel so much better and have so much energy that some saggy skin isn't really concerning.

I want to echo Oneatatime's thoughts as well. Please make sure that you are choosing this road for the right reasons. I understand your concern, I really do. Things at work were a bit dicey for me a while ago and I was concerned that if I had to find another job, my weight would work against me. I had many people say that it wouldn't be a factor, but I was unconvinced.

I had several reasons for having surgery. I had a multitude of health issues that were affecting me and they were all weight related. I felt out of control and embarrassed by my lack of strength when it came to making food choices. I was worried about what people thought of me and some of those thoughts went back to how I was perceived by potential employers. The fear is real.

This is a tough road, with lots of bumps along the way. It was the right decision for me and I have no regrets. I wish I had done it years ago.

Get all your ducks in a row, and look inside yourself. What do you really want to do and why? It does make a difference.

Good Luck.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

crqvingchange
on 6/24/18 5:42 pm

Welcome. There is a BC forum, but I don't know how active it is.

If you lose a lot of weight (in your case 100lbs.) you will have loose sagging skin. It does not matter how you lose the weight, either by surgery or through a diet plan, you will have loose skin. The larger we get, the more skin our body grows. It's stretched and increased in volume. Some people have loose skin on the abdomen, some on their arms (me), some on their legs. I have yet to read of someone that is over 40 and lost 50 plus lbs. that didn't have loose skin somewhere.

Being obese comes with health risks that can be serious, even fatal. Loose skin can be dealt with, either by compression garments, or plastic surgery. It's the trade off for trying to become thinner and healthier.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Smoka
on 6/25/18 3:45 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi M.,

I can help you out by sharing my experience about extra skin.

I have lost 88 pounds to date. I am 9 months post op. I am 57 years old. I have some loose skin on my legs and a bit on my arms. That's it. I had read previous to surgery that most people that have loose skin after weight loss have it where they have carried most of their weight. This is certainly true for me. I have never had a large abdomen. I have no loose skin there. Most of my excess weight has been in my hips and thighs. That is where I have loose skin now. Also, with my age I am being realistic in thinking that I may have had some wrinkly skin anyway if I had not been carrying so much excess weight. I am not interested in another surgery (plastic surgery) so I will have to live with wrinkles! I am so ok with this (and so is my husband). Maybe if I was younger I would feel different. I am looking better in clothes and I feel fantastic and I know that I am healthier...these were always my goals. I also think that working out (I lift weights, do yoga, and walk) really help and have redefined my shape....all things to keep in mind.

I wish you lots of success!!

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

meontheweb
on 6/25/18 8:21 pm - New Westminster, BC, Canada

Hi,

Thank you - that's the biggest worry for me.

I was over 400lbs at one point and lost 140lbs over the course of one-year and no loose skin (maybe genetics).

It is good to hear what others went through.

I am also curious, when you decided to go through the surgery was there any worry by the doctors regarding age?

Thanks,

M

catwoman7
on 6/26/18 6:30 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I had surgery at age 55. A lot of us on here had surgery in our 50s and 60s...

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Smoka
on 6/26/18 8:22 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Nope...nobody mentioned my age at all. I think genetics do play a big role in skin though. I think it's in the elasticity. So, although I do have some sagging skin, it's not too bad. I do have pretty good skin as most people think I am much younger.

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

RosieBelly
on 6/25/18 8:31 pm

Smoka I am the opposite I have a little wobbly on my legs and bum but my tummy is just ridic! I just turned 60 and the boobs might be the only surgery I consider once I am down to goal because well, because dammit! lol

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

Most Active
Recent Topics