Nervous about surgery.

Shrnkin Butterfly
on 1/7/19 11:49 am
RNY on 02/19/19

Hello everyone. Surgery is coming up soon and I think I've started to freak out. It's all I think about and haven't been sleeping well. I've never suffered from anxiety but I might have developed it....I'm nervous about a lea****ep imagining all the worst possible outcomes and getting a little scared. I wonder what the feeling is like after surgery. What the pouch will feel like. I keep wondering if I've made the right decision. I don't know if I should mention this new feelings at my pre-op so they can maybe give me something to calm my nerves. I had a hysterectomy a few months back and I had a bit of anxiety after the surgery mainly because of the wait time to get back results and possibly developing a blood clot and maybe I'm transferring those feelings to this new procedure. I've had other surgeries and I've never felt like this. I'm usually the type that says...If i can live without it and taking it out will fix the problem, take it out.

Did anyone else go through something similar. How did you feel after surgery? How did the pouch feel? Anyone who did have a leak and if so, what was that like? Hoping this feelings pass soon!! Hope you are all having a great day!

Ginnny
on 1/7/19 12:45 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I think the nerves are normal. But seriously you need to stop imagining the worst. Sure there is the potential for complications but that can be said for any surgery. I don't think I really "felt" my pouch. It's just in there.

I had absolutely zero complications. There are many many success stories. More people probably speak more about complications than they do about successes.

Just take a deep breath. Soon enough this will just be a distant memory and you'll be a much healthier you!! You got this!!

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Chrissyq333
on 1/7/19 12:46 pm - Sudbury, ON
RNY on 10/29/18

Don't worry too much, you're at the point now where the horror stories will haunt you if you focus on them. Think positively. I am a strong believer in everything happens for a reason. I felt relatively normal afterwards other than restriction with a low amount of pain, which felt very muscular. I felt super anxious about 2 weeks before the surgery but as the date came closer I felt more and more calm, telling myself that it was all going to work out. I was nervous and cried in the operating room because I just kept thinking about my kids, but they were really great in there and reassured me that everything was going to be fine, and it was! I can't tell that I have the pouch, other than the restriction, I get pain in my upper chest area when I over do it (drinking too much at a time, etc..)

They are very well trained in the Hospitals to respond to any emergency. My roommate had a bleed and had to return to the operating room, they verified everything, added stitches as needed and she had to stay a couple extra days. As much as it was initially worrying, everything worked out well for her and she is doing great now. Trust your medical team.

Referral date: March 20, 2018 Orientation Date: May 30, 2018 Surgery date: October 29, 2018 with Dr Rotstein at St Micheal's in Toronto.

Shrnkin Butterfly
on 1/7/19 2:19 pm
RNY on 02/19/19

Thank you so much ladies! Reading other's experiences will help!

SweetRide1
on 1/7/19 5:05 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I got nervous but I think everyone does to a degree.

You've been waiting for this and you've prepared yourself for this. You've got this!

I was really worried about complications but I reached out to an Emergency Room Nurse who works in a hospital that is a Bariatric Surgical Centre. I told her what I was doing and asked her how many complications came through Emerg and what were the outcomes. So at her Hospital she said they got maybe 1 per week. Of everything that came through the door, it was all fixable stuff. She encouraged me to carry on and I did.

Now, I am one of the ones to have a complication, but it was fixed quickly and it's been all good ever since.

I've said it a million times, "this is the best gift I could ever have given myself and I only regret not doing it sooner.

Oh yeah...the weird thing I found after surgery was that I couldn't feel liquids or food going into my stomach. There was no feeling at all. It was like it wasn't there. I had no hunger and I just did what I was told. Restriction didn't come until much later. It was weird.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Shrnkin Butterfly
on 1/7/19 5:20 pm
RNY on 02/19/19

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It really has put my mind at ease hearing from you ladies! Congratulations on reaching your goal! When did you have your surgery?

SweetRide1
on 1/7/19 6:00 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I had surgery January 16, 2018. This past year has been amazing.

I kinda had a two year plan. I am seriously shocked that I lost as quickly as I did, and I'm thrilled it happened that way.

I never thought I would ever be this small. I actually didn't think it was possible.

I don't even know when I last wore a size 8 pair of pants. TBH the last "small" size I recall was in my early teens and that was a 16.

The best advice I can give anyone is to stay focussed, follow the rules and get active. Choose to be healthy and make it happen. The surgery will help you get there. :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Shrnkin Butterfly
on 1/7/19 6:43 pm
RNY on 02/19/19

Wow! Congratulations again! Your progress is truly amazing! I will do my very best to follow every single rule! Keep up the great work!

shiney
on 1/8/19 7:55 am

You are goals!

*TWH* Referral - December 2017; Orientation - March 2018; SW Assessment - May 2018; Nurse Practitioner - June 2018; Nutrition Class - June 2018; Psych - August 2018; Dietitian - August 2018; Appt. w/ Surgeon - November 2018; Surgery date - January 2019

Weight loss

Pre-surgery: 14, M1: 18, M2: 9, M3: 8, M4: 10, M5:6 , M6:9

Most Active
Recent Topics