Hi! New to this forum!

Lynn5707
on 6/18/11 12:34 pm - IN
Hi,

I am new to this forum - usually on lightweights or sleeve forums.  Anyway, by reading the posts everyone seems very friendly.  To introduce myself, I am 53, married with two grown daughters and two grown step-kids, 5 beautiful grandsons!  I am due to have my VSG on 7/6. I hope to lose about 80-85#.  My husband is supportive, but my daugthers are very afraid that something will go wrong, etc.  I have struggled with weight my whole life, and since I have gone through menopause, I cannot seem to lose more than a few pounds, get discouraged, and gain it back.

I just wanted to say "hi"!  And do you all have any regrets on having your surgery?  Are you happy with it?  I was reading some of the regain posts and it seemed like people have been able to keep most of the weight off, and are happy with their "tool" - but I wanted to ask anyway.

Take care!

Lynn
karen C.
on 6/18/11 7:01 pm - Kennewick, WA

Welcome Lynn,

This is a great place to become a part of. Post often, ask questions, let us get to know you. Then as you go through your surgery and recovery beginning this new way of living you will feel comfortable with us.

I don't know anything about the surgery that you are having. I do know that any change to the lifestyle we have been living will require concentrated effort on our part. That we have in common. I have been an active member here for 7 years starting to post while trying to get insurance approval before my RNY.

I too have had some regain. I weighed 377 lbs before my RNY. At my lowest I had lost almost 200 lbs. I have since gained back 30 lbs which I am working to remove. I find that the key fo me is to exercise. Easier said than done. I have the time to do it as I'm a retired teacher subbing part time as a special services aide during the year. I have the time but sometimes choose not to make exercise my first priority. When I don't the weight starts to creap back on. The tool still works. I just have to do my part.

Enough from me. I look forward to getting to know you Lynn!

Karen C

Eliza55
on 6/18/11 9:43 pm - PA
Hi Lynn

Glad to see you on the forum.  I'm a light-weight  pre-op as well - I haven't been scheduled yet, but I'm hoping for late Aug / early Sept. I'm working hard on the physician pre-op diet, and my cardiac and pulmonary clearances.

Hope to see you soon on the loser's bench!

Take Care

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Lynn5707
on 6/18/11 10:20 pm - IN
Thanks for the kind welcomes. I'm getting so excited/nervous for surgery.

I need to get more disciplined with my exercise.

Lynn
annette R.
on 6/19/11 2:57 am - ithaca, NY
Welcome Lynn,

Remind your daughters that obesity causes a whole bunch of health issues. Your doctor probably made you go through a screening process to make sure you were healthy enough to have surgery. If possible, drag them to a support group.

No regrets except waiting so many years to make the decision. Keeping the weight off is a daily process of exercising and good food choices. Some days are better than others but life is easier without the extra weight.

Good luck
Annette
 Annette     Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting           

Eileen Briesch
on 6/19/11 5:09 am - Evansville, IN
Hi Lynn:

Yeah, a few of my friends tried to scare me about the risks ... the one big one was a woman in the Detroit mayor's office (I think) who died after having gastric bypass. Well, she could have died from a heart attack due to her obesity, too, or from diabetic complications ... whatever. As I was contemplating having the operation, I told my nurse friend Rox that I was fairly healthy, other than having arthritis and back problems (those were my comorbidities); she said being super morbidly obese isn't being healthy. I think that says it all.

Am I happy with my surgery? Hell, yes! I've regained some, but I'm seven years out at the end of the month and need to rededicate myself. Plan to do that. This was the best decision I've ever made.

So join in, we're fairly friendly. Welcome to OFF.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

Connie D.
on 6/19/11 8:40 am
Hello Lynn and Welcome to OFF!!! 

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!!

So glad you found us. Hope you like it here as much as we all do. We try to have fun and also help each other in any way we can.
I have never found a group so supportive and caring. We try to steer away from all the drama and issues some of the boards like so much.  I am honored to be a part of OFF!!

I had RNY almost 4 years ago. I don't know much about VSG but I would love to learn more about it.

Hugs...connie d
Lynn5707
on 6/19/11 9:44 am - IN
Thank you all for making me feel so welcome!

My co-mobid is joint pain. I cannot wait to get the weight off. I'm starting the liver reduction this week and am off diet coke and most caffeine.

Thanks again!
Mag (Marguerite) P.
on 6/19/11 11:20 am - Green Valley, AZ
Hi Lynn,
    I LOVE this forum. The people are so wonderful, supportive, and knowledgeable.  Looking forward to getting to know you.    Mag   

Judy G.
on 6/19/11 11:23 am - Galion, OH

Hi Lynn!! Welcome to OFF and the best that OH has to offer!!!! :-) Congrats on your date and new life to come!!! I had my RNY about 4&1/2 years ago and I have only one regret...that I didn't have this done sooner!!!! I am healthier and happier than I have ever been in my life!!! I am down about 160 pounds now and wearing a size 12!!!! I was 334 lbs when I started my new life.

Hope you continue to come back so we can all get to know you and you know us.

Hang on its a wild ride!!!!

HUGS

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 386 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1186 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1195 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1132 views