Saline vs Silicone breast implants

Lisa A.
on 3/20/09 12:09 pm, edited 3/21/09 1:57 pm
Ok I am booked for  breast augmentation  april 30 2009 surgery and Cost will be 5k for saline implants and if I went the the gel 6,500. I would like to hear from others about silicone vs gel and your thoughts on both, He also feel I will benifit with a 600 cc fill as well based on my body structure and height etc, I measure a 36 a/b cup now and I want to go to D cup high profile round on to top  look, I will not need a breast lift and told me I will have not have clevage unless I want bigger than 600 cc but I do not want to go any bigger so will settle for finger spacing. With gel it only goes in 50 cc increments, Good news is my breast r very symetrical, He will place the implants in back of full breast tissue.
I welcome as much feed back on your experience with silicone vs gel implants Was silcone breast implants hard?  etc
Dr shaw will be doing my breast Augmentation and he was named number 10 in nation top breast implant surgeons for 2008.
Thanks ahead of time for feed back
Lisa
workingmommy
on 3/20/09 12:28 pm
RNY on 12/10/07 with
There is a forum on the website www.justbreastimplants.com that has lots of pics of women with different sizes an experiences.  They would be a good resource.  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

DrL
on 3/20/09 2:23 pm - Houston, TX

Hi.  rather than rely on photos of others, or go by cup size (which is variable) my recommendation is to "try on" implants with a bra size you wish to wear after surgery.

This will give you and idea of the size and weight of the implants.

Gel implants (vs. saline) are certainly more natural feeling, especially in women with very little of their own tissue or thin individuals.  

Because rupture is ahrder to detect, some form od study like an MRI is recommended several years after the procedure.  This in my opinion is the main downside of gel implants.

They also require a larger 4-5cm incision, vs a 2cm incision (about an inch)  for saline implants.

Best wishes,

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com

Lisa A.
on 3/21/09 1:46 am
Ty Dr. LoManoaco
I was leaning towards saline for the safety factor if the implant leak oppose to gel. I was told I can buy insurence for saline implants for the fraction of the costs of insurence of gel implants,
I am 50 so thinking safety issues at my age may be the way to go. I do like firm round on top look , I am wondering of the feel portion and look of saline vs gel is what I am hoping to achive asking in this forum. I am so tired of being flat on top and bras riding up to my neck  so I am thinking firm breast may actually hold bra better  in place. as I am very very active person. Been fitted by bra shops and still same issues no matter what bra i buy. 
Lisa                   

MyQnA
on 3/21/09 1:25 am
I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to wish you luck I will have surgery two days before you so, Good luck!

~Maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

shalee04
on 3/27/09 3:57 am - Bakersfield, CA
Hi Lisa,

I have 500cc High Profile Silicone under the muscle. 

I choose the Silicone as I think it feels more natural.   I was going to get the 525cc but then they stopped with that size and I thought 550 would be too big for me.    I have cleavage again and I am really enjoying it.  for me that is something I wanted.    I also had a very small cresent lift done at the time of placing the implants, just a small cresent of skin above the aereola removed.

I was a 38a/b before and now am a 38D (Full D)   They are not hard at all. Sure in the begining with all the swelling they were, but now almost 5 months later they are awsome!!!  I really love my new girls!!!!!

I really liked Dr Shaw when I met with him, and if would have only been getting the impants I would have gone with him for those. But I wasn't feeling him with my TT.     Dr shaw and 2 of Drs I consulted with all were right on the same page with  the size of impants that would fit my body, that impressed me.

Kelly
Most Active