Recovery time for LBL

zappre
on 4/17/09 4:10 am
Hi all.  I'm scheduled for a LBL on May 22nd.  Quite excited about it.  I haven't done significant research on the aftermath and am curious about a couple of things.  First of all, how long after an LBL do people go back to work, clean their homes, etc.  I've also heard about TT people not being able to stand up straight for a week or two.  Is this true for LBL people too, since the incision is all the way around and I would think bending forward would just stretch out the back part.  Another issue for me is how much help I'll need.  I"m a single guy living on my own and won't have family around for at least a couple of days after surgery.  Should I hire a nurse?  24/7?  Will I be able to take care of myself right away as I only in hospital one day.  I'd appreciate any input you may have to offer.

HW-373 / SW-352 / CW-160 / GW-185                     

Honeyblonde
on 4/17/09 4:56 am - MN

I had a LBL on Dec. 16th.  I was out of work for 3 weeks, and still had both drains in when I went back to work.   Another week off would have been ideal, because the drains would have been out.  Pain wise and mobility wise, 3 weeks was plenty.  Cleaning house was an entirely different matter.  I milked that one for as long as I could ! 

You probably could take care of yourself (especially if you're very independent and have a high pain tolerance).  However, it is much better to have someone there the first few days.  When I think back to how much my husband helped me - getting in and out of bed and/or the recliner, getting on and off the toilet, and just getting me things and helping to empty and measure my drains - it would have been difficult without that help.   The first few days were the hardest as far as being able to get comfortable enough to sleep, even with the drugs. 

I'm a very strong, independent person, and I know I could have done it alone, but I'm so glad I didn't have to.  By the 3rd day when I took my first shower, I'm not sure I could have done it alone.  After that though, it got much better.

The hardest part for me was finding a comfortable position to sleep/rest because of the incision around the back.  It didn't hurt, it was just uncomfortable.  I didn't have pain meds after the few days - personal choice.  So much depends on you and your attitude, PLUS, everyone is different.

My vote for you is to find someone to stay with you at least the first 2 days or at least have someone who can come and go to check on you and help as needed.

Best wishes!

~BJ

Jaime Breckenridge
on 4/17/09 5:04 am - IL
Congrats on getting the LBL scheduled.  I have to find the money before I even think about getting a date.  My surgeon says this summer I will be ready but my wallet and bank account told me I won't be ready, lol.  Insurance will not cover it so I am sol.

I have done a ton of research on lbl and from what I have read on the dozen or two websites and forums you will be laid up for 3-4 weeks and have to take it quite easy for 6 weeks or so.  Not sure what type of work you do but if it is lots of physical work I would say plan for 6-8 weeks off.

Sorry I cannot speak from experience.

-Jaime

cbhjr98
on 4/17/09 1:15 pm
First - i'm independant and feel I have a high tolorance for pain, but will be the first to admit I couldn't do CRAP on my own for the first three days. Thank GOD that I was still in the recovery center with nursing care. Granted, they didn't give me good pain meds either - UGH! I feel on day four, I could have hobbled around on my own on one of the floors of my house (didn't brave the stairs until day 8 when I got home but then I could take them slowly). I'm now 16 days out. I walk like a 70 yr old - on good days that needs a cane, on bad days a walker... LOL. Believe it or not the back doesn't "stretch" like the front afterwards so bending over doesn't pull like you would think it would. The front still does...hence the bent over to walk and then your back hurts if you stand up too long.

As for work. My surgery was on April 2nd. I plan on starting HALF DAYS at a DESK job after my stitches are removed on the 27th. I'll work half days for 2 weeks then go back to all day with the caveat of no lifting, climing or bending excessively. My feelings on that right now is: I want more time off!!! But every day I feel like I'm getting stronger so who knows where I'll be in 8 more days. I do notice I have to take frequent 'walk' breaks because my backside and legs will start to go numb if I sit for longer than 2 hours without walking. Either way my office is very understanding (ok, I now have the fond nickname of Frankenstien Barbie) and will work with me until I'm back to full recovery.

Tried to go shopping at one week out - ended up playing wheelchair derby after about 10 minutes because I couldn't keep standing anymore. I can barely stand to load the dishwasher and cook at this point so cleaning house is out for me for awhile still. (That's where I smile and let the boyfriend take care of it for me - LOL). But mostly because I still have problems bending over - like socks and shoes are still a challenge for me (thank goodness for flip flops and slippers!!!) - this might be partly because of the full body compression garmet I'm in that makes it hard to move below the knee as well. (Calf lipo, another reason I'm still walking funny...)

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
w8'n no more
on 4/18/09 12:19 pm - middle of, IL
Hey, Zap!   Yeah for you getting an LBL!

Now this is all very relative.  Are you having a big hernia repair or muscle work?   That seems to be what really lays people up.  The first week for me both times was ROUGH.  Really ROUGH, and I do not consider myself a whimp.  After the first week, I started springing back pretty quickly as far as mobility.  I definitely think you need help that first week. 

At least 4 weeks for the going back to work thing.   If you have a desk job, you might be able to do it in 3.  I would say 6 is much more reasonable and comfortable though.  If you do heavy lifting, etc., you are gonna need 8 weeks.  I actually did hire a nurse, and it was GREAT!   She came twice a day.  4 hours in the morning from 8 - noon, then 4 hours in the evening from 6 to 10.

Best of luck to you!!!   I know you are going to love this and do just great!

Kathy
sw/cw/gw
269/136/141
Surgery Date 10/21/05  Dr. Anthone
Aspire to Inspire Before You Expire!
Most Active