Removing drains before they are under 30 ccs a day

TheCheshireCat
on 4/20/09 10:05 am, edited 4/20/09 10:05 am
I had 2 of my 4 drains out last Friday at 3 weeks post-op from my body lift.   My PS told me to call him Wednesday to let him know how much fluid is collecting in the other two. He takes them out at 25 ccs or below. I talked with my PS's nurse today to tell her one of the drain holes is leaking. It never did before yesterday. She said it was ok and to keep gauze on it. She told me he'll probably pull them by Friday no matter what the numbers are. I'm excited and scared at the same time. I worry about developing a seroma but then again, after nearly 4 weeks, I want these things out of me. The ccs are in the 50's today. Has anyone had their drains pulled when you were over 25-30 ccs and and have no complications?
Loris
on 4/20/09 11:43 am - Midlothian, VA
It is very likely that your drains will be producing very little by Friday.  Of course the more active you are the more the will produce.  Also remember that nurses sommtimes speak out of turn.  Wait and see what happens.  Don't worry at this point.  Good luck, Loris

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

TheCheshireCat
on 4/21/09 7:15 am
Funny you should say that about the nurse. She said they'd probably come out last Friday. But then again the numbers were 35 and 37 ccs. I had a spike in drainage over the weekend and now I'm working down from new numbers: 55 and 75 ccs. I'm taking a slow walk around the block every day but other than that I'm keeping very very inactive. Let's hope it works! Thanks for the response. :)
gypsywoman6789
on 4/20/09 1:04 pm - Hudson, NH
I have seen people post on here that after having them in for so long the PS has pulled them even though they were putting out more than the desired amount because if they leave them in too long the tissue starts to grow around them and makes removal more complicated.

Also have seen many people post that sometimes they have to go into the ps to have certain areas aspirated to relieve fluid build up after having drains removed - even ones that were removed under 30 cc's a day so it all depends on how your body responds.
TheCheshireCat
on 4/21/09 7:12 am
I agree with the complicated removal statement! The first two removed at three weeks took a couple of yanks and it hurt like a bugger! The nurse said I had skin adhesion. I can only imagine how these lovlies will feel coming out.
DrL
on 4/20/09 1:24 pm - Houston, TX
I rarely have drains (I use 2 for all my cases) in more than 2 weeks, the average for TT is 5 days, and about 10 days for LBL.   If the drainage is steady, I'm OK getting them out at 2 weeks regardless of the amount of drainage.  That serous fluid contains protein and I don't want it being lost !

I keep an ultrasound system in the office so I know if a seroma is going to form right away and can aspirate it before it grows.

I was taught by Dr Kenkel in Dallas about leaving some fat on the muscle and not stripping it off...this dramatically decresed the amount of fluid patients produce.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
TheCheshireCat
on 4/21/09 7:09 am, edited 4/21/09 7:16 am
Thank you for the reply. I thought serous fluid was only a waste product. I didn't realize it had protein. I'll be calling my PS tomorrow and hope they get pulled. One of the tube holes/ports is oozing more today, looks pretty angry and hurts. I think my body is saying it has outstayed its welcome!
cleos_mom
on 4/20/09 1:51 pm - phila., PA
 for my TT I had my drains  removed @ 3 weeks and I was producing more then 30cc aday, so I had my belly aspirated 3x it didn't hurt he numbed the area with lidocaine and then stuck a needle in my incision, I didn't feel a thing.
I had inner thigh lift 3 weeks ago .my drains were removed 2 weeks ago & last week I had to be aspirated again.
it will all work out
TheCheshireCat
on 4/21/09 7:05 am
Thanks for the reassurance. I don't know why I was so afraid of seromas. This too shall pass and I know it will all work out. :)
Susan S.
on 4/21/09 4:10 am - Roselle, NJ
I had a drain pulled with 28ccs per day after my LBL - and developed a seroma - I had two drains in for two weeks post medial thigh lift - 4 weeks ago - and both drains were producing close to 90 ccs per day - but were infiltrating - so we pulled them and I had only very minor swelling of the ankles...which resolved in about 4 days......you never know.   I will say I'm in very good shape - very fit with great microcapilliary beds etc. which aid in clearing edema etc. (I've learned this after three rounds of plastics)......but you never know.    Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Most Active