belly button

pixielee
on 9/3/11 11:16 am - Twinsburg, OH
I'm meeting with my plastic surgeon this week to finalize some of the details for my surgery.  I have had a previous abdominal surgery with a large (8 inch) vertical incision down my abdomen from an old car accident.  I'm really concerned about doing too much to this old incision and was wondering if anyone else opted to NOT get a belly button after there tummy tuck and if so how you felt about the 'alien' like tummy post surgery.  Thanks for any input.

Kate

Bonnie ABC
on 9/3/11 12:01 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
Like you, I had two c-sections belly button down, and a hernia repair the size of a donut above.   Dr. S felt that with all the surgeries, that it likely would not have survived.   I didn't care.  Like what do people do with a belly button anyways?   I don't even notice now,.. and hey, no lint lol.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Laura in Texas
on 9/3/11 12:15 pm
I love my new belly button and could not imagine not having one, but HERE is an old post on the subject.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

pixielee
on 9/3/11 11:28 pm - Twinsburg, OH
thanks for the link Laura.  Appreciate all the feed back I can get!!

Kate

Kate

Laz22girl
on 9/3/11 12:19 pm
I always said if I had to lose my belly button, I'd just got a tattoo on the lower half of my stomach to blend it in.
Iam_with_the_Band
on 9/3/11 4:13 pm
I, actually asked Dr Sauceda to not give me a Belly Button.  I didn't really care... but he inisted and I have one.  It's nice, but I would have been just fine without one!  I had an Anchor Cut TT and the scar is the same vertical as your present one.  One good thing is that he removed so much skin - all of my previous LapBand scars and stretch marks from obesity and pregnancy are gone!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

mkbeany
on 9/4/11 12:08 am
Hi there. I think I chimed in about this issue before but I asked my surgeon to get rid of mine.
My stalk was very stretched out. (you saw my 'before' shot!!)
I did not want any necrosis or problems with healing.

So, even in pre-op holding, I made him recite what I had said before.
"If it looks sketchy at all...get rid of it!"

I woke up with a new belly button and I am completely obsessed with it...and not in a good way!!

I sit and worry about it.
It got mushy for a day or two but has subsequently dried up again.
At my appt last week he said it looked fine. It just needs to heal and "present itself".

Maybe I am an odd ball but I was hoping to not have one...but alas...it is here.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
godzilla
on 9/4/11 1:19 am - Israel
I, too, had previous up-and-down scars and I am/was not too attached to my belly button.
The residents thought me weird that I chose to not have a bb but I explained that after reading "problems" on the OH Plastics board that some have had  "complications"...
That being said, my TT (which was 8.08) is a reverse T-cut and I have a problem that was a SLOUGH and now is open fatty gross in my incision near where the bb would have been. This will take a long time to heal and I am still in the "not-knowing" stage of healing day-by-day. I also tend to take a long time with recovery/healing from my ops.
Mikimi in Israel

Laura in Texas
on 9/4/11 1:29 am
HERE is an interesting article on belly buttons....

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

pixielee
on 9/4/11 3:21 am - Twinsburg, OH
another good resource. Thanks!

Kate

Most Active