Can't find enough information on choosing post-bariatric plastic surgeon.How did you decide?

Ihearttennis
on 9/12/14 11:51 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I am having a hard time finding enough information on doctors that specialize in post- bariatric plastics in the New Orleans area.  I am interested in Dr. Mizgala and Dr. Moses. I have been to real self and I just can't find enough info from real patients.  Are there other places you would recommend looking? 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

jeterway
on 9/13/14 7:00 am

You can google the doctors name.  There are lots of doctor review sites that will come up.  Keep in mind that most folks will only post a complaint.  You can also look to see if the local municipality has their civil cases on line - if so, you can see if the doctors have been sued.  You can also see if there are publications by the docs.  This will give you some information on how active they are in the medical community.  Other than that, a consult with the doc with a list of questions is the best tool.  Ask for before and after pics but the interview will determine how comfortable you two are.  Is he/she able to answer your questions comfortably and quickly, are they willing to spend time with you understanding what you want and explaining the procedures to you.  Good luck.

cutekatie
on 9/13/14 9:10 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I would go to the Louisiana board in here and ask for recommendations. That way you know the info comes from people who have had gastric bypass. You can also call the clinic who did your surgery and see if they have any suggestions as well.

I did that and was able to find 3 surgeons in my area.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Ihearttennis
on 9/13/14 10:03 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Thank you for your replies. My friend recommended her doctor who has 16 reviews which are all positive on line. My OBGYN, whom I respect tremendously, suggested a different surgeon who only had about five reviews online and they are mostly negative. How can you only have a few reviews when you have been in practice 35 years? My bariatric surgeon's office recommended both of the doctors I'm looking at but  they also recommended my sister's doctor who I wasn't real impressed with. I will check out the Louisiana board here and also the law suits. Thanks for the suggestions.

ravenbrown
on 9/15/14 4:50 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I had consults with the three PS that my in person support group recommended.  I went with the one I felt the most comfortable with.  He did excellent work on me, and we have a great relationship which is helpful since I've seen him so frequently for the past few months :)

cutekatie
on 9/15/14 6:13 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I also agree you should go to a few different surgeons for consults. I had to pay out of pocket for those consults but it was worth it to find someone I was comfortable with.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/14 6:42 am

Another source is the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons website(www.ASBPS.org). The American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons has been established by plastic surgeons that specialize in body contouring surgery specifically for patients that have lost significant amounts of weight through non-surgical means such as diet or exercise or through the various bariatric procedures such as gastric bypass and lap band surgery. ASBPS's goal is to help you find a knowledgeable and experienced plastic surgeon. Its members are all certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons and most are members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons as well as the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery or the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons. You will find a lot of helpfull information regarding procedures.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

Ihearttennis
on 9/16/14 10:22 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Thank you for all of your replies. I have had one consult already and one scheduled for tomorrow. I will keep researching and I really appreciate the advice!

AZDee
on 9/16/14 11:03 am - Gilbert, AZ

Sorry I can't be of more help to you, but I will say when it comes to post-bariatric plastic surgery many of us have found the need to travel.  I live in a major city Phoenix but was unable to find a surgeon who has a lot of experience with WLS patients.  If you would be willing to make a little trip, I would recommend Dr Peter Fisher in San Antonio.  I personally traveled to San Diego, where I was picked up and taken to a clinic just south of the border where I had incredible results, you can read my story on my profile...Good luck with your consults, I had 10 before deciding on my surgeon....I was in such fear of ugly scars, thankfully I found a surgeon who specializes in his incredible sewing....practically no noticeable scaring... 

JazzyOne9254
on 9/16/14 11:27 am

I checked out surgeons online, and took cards from my DS surgeon's office. 

I checked locally and found one, but we decided we couldn't work together.

I picked a surgeon, then he decided to retire at the end of last year.

He referred me to a colleague, I believe a former student of his, and that's how I decided.

I didn't consider scarring at all, because my skin is prone to hypertrophic scarring and

hyperpigmentation, so I knew it would be something I'd have to deal with later, no matter who did the

cutting!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active