Questions to ask?

Amber J.
on 1/17/16 4:44 pm - Kirkland, WA

I'm sure this has been asked many times but this is actually my first time back on the forums in several years. I'm almost 5 years and 2 kids post RNY with 135 pounds I've kept off. I have my first surgery consult tomorrow and I'm wondering what kind of things I should ask and look for. I've done a lot of research and the first doctor I'm consulting with is the one that I like the most based on my research. I really have no idea what to expect when it comes to price or results. I know one thing that really mattered to me is the look of scars. I'm expecting scars but it means a lot to me to have them look neat and tidy. I'm wanting my stomach, arms, breasts, and legs done. Any advice would be supremely appreciated!

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

NYMom222
on 1/17/16 5:06 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I just made my decision on a surgeon a few days ago. It was not easy. I had 5 consults. 2 phone consults where I sent them my pictures and three in person. I decided I really felt more comfortable going with someone where Weight Loss patients were their specialty. There is a wide variation in prices. There is also a wide variation in the little things they feel it is important to focus on. Even though you are talking about the same surgeries..they have different ideas.

I am getting a LBL, BL and Arm Lift. We will see about a thigh lift when all is said and done.

For me I wanted to see pictures of people they had done who looked like me... not someone who had a little flab and wanted to just 'tighten things up'...

Ask- time in hospital? How many procedures are they willing to combine? or which ones? Expected hours in surgery? Recovery? Follow up visits? Drains? How many? How long? Will I be wearing compression garments after? How often do you do this particular procedure, or how many per year? Do they tighten the muscles?

They may answer some of those before you ask.... Definitely go one more than one consultation. Sometimes you have to see what you don't want to know what you want.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Amber J.
on 1/17/16 5:13 pm - Kirkland, WA

Thank you! I've definitely been looking for doctors that specialize in weight loss surgery and that I've gotten personal recommendations for. I live in an area where there are a LOT of plastic surgeons to choose from, which is good and bad. I'm more nervous about getting the plastics done than I ever was of the WLS.

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Dcgirl
on 1/29/16 7:11 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Amber, I was also SUPER nervous going into my LBL and BL.  I mean, being under anesthesia all day!  An incision all around my body!  Drains!  My whole body being worked on!  I was on my way to the hospital that morning with my mom, who used to be a paralegal for a medical malpractice lawyer.  I said, "OMG are you nervous for me?"  She said, "Absolutely not.  This is a skin surgery.  Sure it's longer than your RNY and you will have a lot of stitches, but this is just working on your skin and tissue.  Something like gastric bypass where they are creating a pouch and rerouting your intestines is so much more intricate". 

It made me feel immediately better.

I would second NYMom's advice to seek out a plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring post massive weight loss.  I have seen a few episodes of Skin Tight and I am pretty horrified at the results and scars and number of drains and length of recovery.  I have had an incredible experience with my surgeon.  I am almost one year post op LBL and BL, and 3 months post op arm lift.  I feel amazing.  I don't know where you are located, but he is in the DC area.  His website

Good luck!

Braceface
on 1/21/16 6:45 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

NYMOM222 is using the surgeon I used and I initially met him 1.5 yrs ago through my weight loss surgical program. You may want to call some local programs and ask who they refer to? These are the ones that do what we need.

Good luck!

gladys_brown
on 5/18/16 7:18 pm

Most Active