Plastic Surgery Consult

lking
on 5/2/16 1:19 pm, edited 5/2/16 2:09 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I had my consultation with the plastic surgeon today for my double mastectomy reconstruction. To make a very long story short, he recommends that I hold off on reconstruction until 6 mos after radiation is complete. At that time, then have fat and skin taken from my stomach (tummy tuck) and implanted into the breasts. This reconstruction surgery is about a 8-10 hour surgery.

By not having the expanders or implants I can have my upper arm reduction at the time I have my double mastectomy.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

jeterway
on 5/2/16 2:00 pm

I have the brca1 gene mutation and have had this surgery as a preventative procedure.  I did not need most of the skin but he transplanted the fat that I had in my lower abdomen up to my chest.  I didn't want to go the implant route and this got me most of a tummy tuck covered by insurance.  I am just about 5 years out and aside from some skin necrosis that took a while to heal, have had no complications.  It is a long procedure.  But I love my results.  Good luck.

lking
on 5/2/16 2:28 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Thank you for telling me of your success with this type of reconstruction!  Upon my cancer diagnosis my doctor recommended that I have genetic testing because of my family history.  I am not BRCA1/BRCA2, but have decided to go ahead with a double mastectomy as prophylatic measure.  Since my breast cancer cause is unknown, it's metastasized into my lymph nodes, and I am HER2+, I feel this is my best shot at possibly not having a reoccurrence any time soon, if at all.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Mell
on 5/3/16 9:54 am

I am in the middle of recover from my mastectomy mine was preventative.  I have expanders now and it has been rough.  I am 37 with 3 kid and I work full time so I think my life is just too busy for all this. Good luck and hopefully by using your own fat they will not be so heavy!! I feel like I need an over the shoulder boulder holder! I did not get bigger but being full with saline they are heavy!

Oh and another good thing! When I lay on my back they are at attention!! No more flopping to each side...

Best of luck with your recovery!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/16 10:52 am
ReShape on 10/30/16

Sounds like a great plan. Good Luck!!!   

RNY on 12/22/14

That sounds like a great plan.  Getting the arm lift sooner rather than later sounds like a winner. 

For me - I was never very big in the breast dept, so if I can stay a B or even a B- with fat transfer only and not need implants I will take that route.  If all I can get without implants is an A cup, then I might go for the implants, but I am not sure.   Does the fat transfer last forever, or do you need to get it redone overtime?

Sharon

Most Active