Next step for plastics

Gwen M.
on 1/3/17 10:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I called insurance and there is an employer exclusion on plastic surgery, even with medical necessity. There's also an employer exclusion on bariatric surgery which is **** So it's a really good thing I had my VSG when I did!!

There is an infinitesimal chance that Art can make a case with HR for coverage due to medical necessity, but we'll need to go forward with planning that we'll be paying for everything out of pocket ourselves. With that in mind, I called today to schedule my consult with Dr. Joseph Michaels, the plastic surgeon I've chosen. I figure knowing costs sooner rather than later is important so that we can figure out how we'll pay for everything. 

I had originally figured I'd do the consult over spring break in March, but I don't want to wait that long. But it's good I called today, since the earliest I could get was February 14th anyway! He's got offices in Fairfax and Rockville which are about equidistant from me, but due to scheduling I'll be going to Rockville. 

What's the next step? Lose the 18 pounds I have left to lose and go to my appointment on Valentine's Day. The consult is free, which makes sense as the surgery is so expensive.  To recap, I'm hoping/planning to be able to have my first surgery in early June and then the second one in August so that I can be mostly fully recovered to be at full time with my BSes in September.  The classes are online, so I have a bit of flexibility.  

Deep breaths.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

RNY_elizabeth
on 1/3/17 11:27 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Sounds like a great plan.  Best of luck with the insurance battle. Either way I have to say my plastic surgery has been the second best thing I've ever done. First being RNY, then this.  I feel so amazing.

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Laura in Texas
on 1/3/17 12:47 pm

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Plastics made me feel "whole" again. Mentally, I had to have it done.

I got fixed the parts that bothered me most (and what I could realistically afford) and have made peace with the rest.

You've got this!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

RNY on 12/22/14

You have a good perspective on PS - take care of the worst and make peace with the rest. Totally agree.

Sharon

Dcgirl
on 1/3/17 12:53 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

YAY!  You know I am Dr Michaels' biggest fan (well, perhaps Cynthia (NYMom) and I are tied for that!).  I love him and his work.  The consult is awkward, I must say.  You go in, strip down, put on a gown, and a female nurse comes in while Dr. M pulls and prods and shows you your potential.  I felt a little woozy during it (full length mirror + comments like "we will cut around your body" most likely to blame!) and took a little break.  Be prepared to see all your naked glory under the fluorescent lights LOL.  But as Elizabeth and Laura said, it's the BEST thing I did for myself, after RNY of course.  You are in awesome hands with Dr. M!

Gwen M.
on 1/7/17 11:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think my biggest worry is that the doctor will tell me I'm not ready for plastics - because I have this worry too.  Maybe I need to lose more weight?  I don't know.  

I worry that I'm rushing into it because of timing convenience.  Ugh. :/  

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Dcgirl
on 1/9/17 7:47 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Luckily he will tell you if you're ready, what would work best on you, and not pressure you into a "sale".  I have seen some of his before and afters, and many people are not "normal" BMI when they have surgery.  He advised me where my weight should be before the plastics, but he was very open and honest about all of my questions and how my results would be.  Timing is important - when you're a full-time student, it's not like you can just have a few weeks off without pay!  Good luck - I know your consult isn't until next month but I can't wait to hear about it!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/7/17 6:14 am, edited 1/6/17 10:17 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Add me to the Three-way tie for Dr M's biggest fan. 

Ask him about losing the last few pounds.   He did my arms and breast lift and he is fantastic, as are the staff at Sibley Memorial where he operates.  He also operates in their main surgical suite, not some little out-patient clinic.  I received excellent recovery care.  You do not have to stay overnight - I did not, but you can for $1000 extra,  If you need to, then it is better to stay than to have an emergency at home and have to go to an ER where they may not be prepared to help you.  I gave my friend who was picking me up my credit card and she could decide if I was not fit to go home.

I had fat transfer from my saddle bag thighs to breasts.    I just had enough fat left for the transfer.  Also, if you do fat transfer, they generally do not want you to try to lose weight immediately post-up because you may lose what they just transferred.

It depends on what you do if you can stack the surgeries that closely. 

The best thing I did pre-op was to get an electric recliner.  I was careful and had good healing.

I would still get a second opinion.  All it may do is to increase your faith in Dr. Michaels, but I would still see another platstic surgeon and get another opinion.  I was surprized to find out that there were several different approaches to my surgery.   I saw 2 others.

I was fine with my consult - I had 2 others so I was prepared for the routine.  I first had a photo consult with him - I am 2 hours away.  I was so touched that I would feel normal that I cried for an hour.  I didn't realize how much I was bothered by the excess skin, etc. 

Hope that you are as happy with your body work as I was with mine with Dr M.

Sharon

Gwen M.
on 1/7/17 11:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thank you :)  

Luckily for me it's a "short" drive - well, short for someone who lives in this area.  Driving 60-90 minutes to get somewhere is no big deal ;)  

I wonder if the consult will be emotional for me?  I feel like everything is emotional for me these days... So it probably will be too, heh.  

FRITZY79
on 1/18/17 4:23 pm

GOOD LUCK, I WISH THAT MY INSURANCE WOULD COVER SOME OF MY PRECEDURES. I HAD MY SECOND SET OF SURGERIES IN OCTOBER A BREAST LIFT WITH IMPLANTS AND AN ARM LIF. I STILL NEED MY THIGHS LIFTED. I COULDNT AFFORD IT I WENT TO A SUPERD PLASTIC SURGEON IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, BOTH TIMES. HE SPEAKS PERFECT ENGLISH WENT TO BRAZIL TO LEARN PLASTIC SERGERY THATS WHERE IT ALL STARTED IM VERY HAPPY WITH MY RESULTS THUS FAR.

Most Active