Beginner in the World of Plastics

paragondream
on 5/25/17 9:55 pm

Hello my lovelies!

I am currently two months short of being two years out. Have lost about 140 pounds, still have a ways to go but want to start the research in to plastics.

I know that I will probably want a TT, an arm lift, possibly a 360.

I know that each doc has a different preference about how many procedures to do at once and where to start.

I am also NOT opposed to going out of country to get the work done.

So......

Any suggestions on where to start? What have been your experiences? I am BRAND NEW to this and ALL ears.

Thank you!

~Paragondream

Gwen M.
on 5/26/17 4:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hiya! I'm still pre-op, but getting closer.

I chose my surgeon by looking at the pictures people posted here and reading about their experiences and thinking about my own resources. I knew I needed to do something in driving range. So for surgeons who specialize in reconstruction after massive weight loss, that pretty much leaves Capella and Michaels for me. I ultimately opted for Michaels due to proximity, results, bedside manner, lots of other stuff. :)

I'm in the DC area.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Dcgirl
on 5/30/17 8:46 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

All I can say is that I recommend you see plastic surgeons who have experience in massive post weight loss bodies. The body contouring and surgery you need is much different than a breast lift or tummy tuck that someone who birthed 3 children would need :) I had a lower body lift (LBL) and breast lift (BL) in one surgery, and then an arm lift a few months later. I don't regret it a bit and LOVE my results. I also went to Dr. Joseph Michaels in DC, and he's incredible! Good luck!

rmstorey
on 6/5/17 6:39 am - Alexandria, VA

DCGirl! I'm also in the DC Metro area. Do you happen to have a website for Dr. Michaels? My initial Google search turned up bupkiss.

I'm just past my 6-year anniversary, 180-lb loss with no net regain, and ready to start seriously researching for plastics. So I'm thrilled to hear that there's someone really good right in my backyard!

rmstorey
on 6/5/17 6:41 am - Alexandria, VA

Oh, derf. Found it right away when I searched for Dr. Joseph Michael + plastic surgery. In any case, thanks for such an easy recommendation! I thought I might have to comb through a lot more message boards before finding something. :D

Dcgirl
on 6/5/17 7:20 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I am glad you found his site! As you know, I continue to be his biggest fan. Definitely reach out to his office for a consultation - Leah and Dr. Michaels will take great care of you. Actually, today he is in the OR all day with another OH person, Gwen!

Crazeru
on 5/30/17 2:04 pm

I went out of the country to Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico. He specializes in massive weight loss patients. I had an LBL - lower body lift, breast lift, arms and small thigh (inside the leg groin front to back). 4 days later I had a full facelift including upper and lower lids. I did go back 2 yrs later for an upper body lift.

We have a group here on OH, click on Dr Sauceda in my siggy line to go to our group page. You can go back to Jan 2011 and Jan 2013, I have several posts before, down in Monterrey and back home.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Au_Contraire
on 6/2/17 10:14 pm

I am still pre-op (RNY on 6/12!), but know I will need some plastics later on. I have a Q about having surgery out of the country. I don't doubt that there are fine surgery centers elsewhere, but what happens if there is a problem, say, two or three weeks out, after you've returned home? Do surgeons operating in Mexico, for instance, have affiliated MDs here in the states to help you in case of emergencies, or even just for post-up chevkups? Or are you on your own, barring a flight back to your surgeon?

Gwen M.
on 6/3/17 5:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't have specific information and I'm looking forward to reading replies from those who do.

I wonder the same thing for those of us who are going in country. (For the USians, that is.) For most of us (like me) insurance doesn't want anything to do with reconstructive plastic surgery post-MWL. So even if we do have surgery in country and have problems, it's not like insurance will cover things. While medical assistance is still close by, it might cost $arm+$leg. :/

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Crazeru
on 6/5/17 12:04 pm

Most folks talk with their PCP about after care. My niece pulled my stitches and last drain out from my UBL. I'd checked with Kaiser and if I had problems, I would have needed to go to the ER or see my PCP. Not all insurances will cover surgery problems, whether they are done in the states or outside the US. If they are done in network, you are probably covered. Insurance wasn't going to cover any of my PS. I also wanted the major stuff done all at once, as work wouldn't allow me to keep taking 2-3 weeks off every few months. I took off 8 weeks to recover from my LBL, BL, arms, sm thigh and facelift. When I went back for my UBL, I could only take off 3 weeks. I had 6 weeks available. :( The UBL was easier than the first set.

I was lucky with no problems from all the surgeries that I had in 2011 and 2013.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active