Tummy Tuck expectations vs. reality

xtina910
on 6/12/17 2:00 pm

Since my last rant post about my pain concerning tummy tuck, arm lift and breast lift, I am doing much better. I recently got to get a good look at my results thus far and I have some questions regarding the tummy tuck. My stomach is flat up until above the scar line, where it is still puffy particularly by the hip bones. My surgeon said he suctioned fat out of there but there was a limit to what he could do considering the amount of skin I had, and also that there is still a bit swelling that could go down. However, I am wondering if it will ever be possible to have the flat stomach that I ideally want. I had a very profound panniculus where you couldn't see the bellybutton at all and some wrinkles in the skin so I knew I would not have a smooth stomach but I was hoping it'd be flat enough to expose it in public at some point and now I don't feel like that will be possible.

I'm thinking maybe a bit more weight loss (around 10bs or so) could help and maybe after swelling goes down I can do a real assessment. I just wanted to ask if anyone had a similar outcome after their tummy tuck and how much does it really flatten out over time?

MissNexxie
on 6/12/17 2:50 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

I had a TT 2 years ago and it looked pretty puffy for a good 6-9 weeks before I really thought that it might actually flatten out (beyond the removal of the hanging skin). You're only about a week out, right? There is still lots of swelling and will be for some time so don't use what you see today as a gauge for the final product. Wear your abdominal compression garment religiously, follow post-op directions and don't do too much too soon and you will see a big change in the coming weeks/months. I wore my compression garment longer than recommended because I liked how the snugness felt around my abdomen and I felt like it helped keep the puffiness down.

Side note: I made the mistake of scooping some kitty litter at one month out (because I felt so good and recovered) and ended up pulling a stitch out by my belly button. When they say no heavy lifting or exertion for 6 weeks, it's for a reason. The more compliant you are in those critical first 6 weeks the better the outcome in the long run. Take care!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

xtina910
on 6/13/17 5:35 am

Yes I'm only a week out. I know I may be reacting too soon, I just can't believe how puffy it is at the bottom. But I guess I just have to be patient. I look forward to seeing the way my body evolves and adjusts to the changes.

Leslie W.
on 6/13/17 3:57 am - Cobourg, Canada

It can take up to a year to see the final results. Swelling, seromas is common as well as just the normal post-op swelling. I actually went back and had the posterior (back) lift done a couple of years after TT. Give yourself a good 6 months for things to settle. Remember losing more weight = more loose skin.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Luvmygs
on 6/13/17 7:20 am
VSG on 12/04/14

You had alot done to your body, give it time to heal. There's alot of swelling going on right now and it will become flat. I have pictures of me 1 week after surgery and I was so puffy and swollen. At 7 months post op, my tummy is very flat and the swelling is completely gone, even on the sides! Hang-in-there.

Gwen M.
on 6/14/17 3:49 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Prior to my own LBL, I read countless stories about people being displeased with the way their abdomens looked immediately post-op. And countless stories about how happy they were within 2, 6, 12 months post-op. My takeaway from this is "have patience" and don't judge based on immediate results. Wait a few weeks/months and then get a second opinion.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NYMom222
on 6/21/17 12:32 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You are really early out, I couldn't even look at myself for the first three weeks. My swelling significantly went down at week three and week four when I went for a follow up I thought OK this is it. But really the swelling continue to go down for a good three months so it's significant difference between month one month three

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

xtina910
on 6/21/17 4:48 am

Thanks for the reassurance. I definitely am having a hard time looking at myself but I will be patient.

Mell
on 6/21/17 3:40 am

You are about to hit the point where I started to suffer from depression. It hapoens to me about 2/3 weeks out from surgery. Not sure if its due to being sedentary for recovery or a side effect from the anesthesia or pain pills.

I started to freak out over little things. As everyone has said your body will change with time. Even up to a year! You will loose and gain in different places etc.

just try to be aware and not get depressed. Good luck!!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

xtina910
on 6/21/17 4:50 am

Yes, I believe I'm starting to go through a minor depression. I'm obsessing over things like wishing I had gotten bigger implants, that I had gotten an extended tummy tuck vs. a regular one and instead of being happy the loose skin is removed I'm having negative thoughts about how I'll never look normal. I'm trying to hang in there and ride it out but it's an emotional rollercoaster for sure. Thanks for your reassurance!

Most Active