Plastic surgery

NyLegacyNy
on 7/21/17 11:31 am

Hello, i am new to this site but i am a weight loss patient. My surgery was in 2012. My start weight was 452 day of surgery and i am now down to 189. I feel great. My problem is my drs are trying to get me plastic surgery for tummy and inner thighs due to a medical problem i have been dealing with since last year. I was told tummy will not be a problem getting approved but thighs are very rare. Does anybody have information with united Healthcare community plan insurance? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I also want to say congrats to all who have and are going to have weightloss surgery.

Gwen M.
on 7/21/17 1:23 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If you haven't already, you should call the number on the back of your insurance card and ask them what is covered or not.

For example, my partner's employer has an exclusion on skin removal regardless medical need. Since they suck. So best to call and ask so you know straight from the source what your options are.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NYMom222
on 7/25/17 9:51 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I live in NY and have oxford which is part of the United Healthcare network...I did have some skin removal coverage, but the insurance will usually pay for the minimum and you have to go to a participating doctor on the plan. I did do a consult with a doctor on plan, but they led me to believe not much would be covered... not sure if that was true or not, but didn't like the office anyway.

As Gwen said check your insurance plan...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

FuturePinUp
on 7/26/17 1:43 pm

Another thing I wanted to chime in on - even if your insurance covers the skin removal, you will likely have to chip-in out of pocket to convert that skin removal into a tummy tuck. The tummy tuck will include additional aesthetic work on your body.

Also, depending on the surgeon you go with, some are more willing to work with insurance than others. While my insurance did cover skin removal (with documentation of need), I opted not to go through them at all based on comfort with surgeon, time, and ultimate cost.

the combination of procedures actually ended up costing me less, completely out-of-pocket, than what I was quoted from other surgeons I consulted with, who were going to work with insurance to cover part of the procedure. Having my surgeries as outpatient procedures also helped me save a lot there.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active