One week to UBL & Brachioplasty, let the questions continue...

MissNexxie
on 10/12/17 6:37 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Morning all:

I'm just one week out from my UBL & Brachioplasty. Feeling much more centered about it all than a couple weeks ago. Now getting into prep mode. Feel almost like getting ready for hibernation - I get into nesting mode and try to plan for all contingencies and make sure there's enough of everything in the house: food, med supplies, toilet paper, etc.

Question: for anyone that recovered from the above surgeries in bed - did you use any aids to help getting out of bed? Like a portable bed rail that slips between the mattresses, or anything else to help you get up without straining incisions. What is the best way to get up? Roll onto side then push up? Bear in mind I will have arm incisions and bra line incisions with possible back drains. I have a wedge pillow I was thinking of using but am wondering if I should be lying flat with arms elevated instead? Or use wedge pillow to elevate my upper back PLUS lots of arm pillows to elevate arms as well?

Any other 'good to have' recovery aids? I have a grabber and a bedside table I've used previously, plus a hubby who will be at my beck and call.

Also, what did you wear day of surgery? buttoning tops best and loose sweats? I'll likely be in 2 pc pajamas and robe for the first week or 2 afterward. Maybe I should wear my pajama top to the surgical centre so I don't have to change at home.

So many questions...

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Dcgirl
on 10/12/17 8:34 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hmmm, I didn't have an upper body lift. I had a lower body lift and breasts done in one surgery, and because of the muscle tightening in the abdomen, sitting up was SO hard for about 3 days. I used my arms and my mom would wrap her arms around me and heave me to a sitting position. When I did my arms, it was outpatient and so easy. I was home the same day, chilling on the couch the day after with my arms elevated on pillows, and hosted a lunch for friends. The following day I got my 10,000 steps in and walked to the movies and went shopping. I just had to be careful not to lift. But it wasn't hard to sit up with my arms at all.

I wore a button down shirt and loose sweatpants home from the hospital the day of surgery so I didn't have to reach above my head and put a shirt on over my head. But starting the day after, I could wear a normal shirt.

I hope yours is as easy and pain-free as mine was!

NYMom222
on 10/22/17 3:07 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I recovered from bed, and used an outdoor anti-gravity chair with s blanket on it as my recliner.

I always suggest writing EVERYTHING down. Just leave a sheet of paper and a pen on the counter...

times- what I took and how much. Also wrote what I ate...You will forget- remember you are on drugs...

keep some extra squishy bed pillows around to help you get comfortable...I wouldn't lay flat... lots of pillows underneath you so you are raised in your whole upper body, and I had a king size pillow on each side to rest my arms on.

I also had a medical cane that I used for helping me get some leverage from sitting to standing. I put a footstool next to my bed, to give me a landing spot for my feet on the way out of bed- and a place to push off from on the way in.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

DrL
on 10/31/17 8:03 pm - Houston, TX

Electric lift chair.

Great for those not wanting or having a lot of help the first week or two. Pretty cheap to rent or buy, and comfortable enough to sleep in too.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Gwen M.
on 11/1/17 8:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Sadly I found that I'm in an area where the option to rent electric lift chairs is non-existent. Which is frustrating because it seems like every one else has these easily accessible rental options!

Thankfully, for my final reconstructive surgery, a friend of mine offered to loan me her chair (which was her grandfather's) and I am SUPER HAPPY! I think, for the leg reconstruction, it'll be astoundingly useful.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active