3 weeks out from surgery

CC C.
on 5/29/18 7:10 pm, edited 5/30/18 4:29 am

Tomorrow I have my 3 week check in. I know the groin incisions don't look worse, but I'm not sure what "getting better" looks like. And I wonder how long I need to stay in CA as I'd like to get to MI at sone point for the summer.

One good thing is my drains have stopped, so the last two of those come out tomorrow. Maybe a shower is in my future unless the groin incisions get in the way of that?? Please!!!

Other things to ask about: I still have a low grade fever in the low 99s when I skip a Tylenol dose. My normal is mid 97s. I wonder if that's normal this far out? He said to call if it gets over 101 and it hasn't.

I have a constant small cough. I think it's the angle I'm always at plus coughing hurts with the muscle tightening so I avoided it. I'm now doing deep breathing exercises and trying to cough. Good times!

I wonder how much of my inability to bend over to get something off the floor is psychological and how much is my body saying that's too much? I worry I'll tear in half...

Hoping stairs will be aproved too as I want back in my bed so badly!!

I drove myself to the drive through pharmacy a mile away yesterday. Not super comfortable, but I did it.

I'll update after my appointment tomorrow. I'm ready for some returns to normal life!

ShirlAus
on 5/30/18 2:00 am
VSG on 06/26/17

Hoping for postive news and approval for the best shower you will have had ever

Thinking of you

S

Librarian67
on 5/30/18 3:56 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I'm sorry that your recovery so far has been so difficult, but it sounds like today's visit may make the situation better. Please keep us posted!

I know how much my showers have meant to me since I'm living in compression gear. I hope you get to have one soon!

Also driving is such a great milestone! I've done a few short drives and it really helps me to feel more independent and like an adult! Yippee for you!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/30/18 5:51 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm so sorry this takes so long. Not being able to shower must be awful on top of it.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Gwen M.
on 5/30/18 12:56 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Not showering for 3 weeks?! I'd die. Hopefully you have awesome wipes?

Do you have an incentive spirometer for the breathing?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CC C.
on 5/30/18 2:07 pm, edited 5/30/18 7:07 am

I nearly did die! I have awesome wipes, but wipes can only be so awesome. And washing my hair in the kitchen sink is not nearly as nice as letting water wash over you!

I got rid of my incentive spirometer after week two. I felt fine. Now I realize that wasn't smart. He gave me more antibiotics to take to kill off whatever is in my lungs.

CC C.
on 5/30/18 2:23 pm

An excellent follow up appointment all around! My last drains came out, he thinks my open wounds are healing really fast, and generally thought I was healing faster than most of his patients with my combo of surgery. That is seriously frightening because I feel really slow...

So I can shower tomorrow!

I can climb my stairs to sleep in my own bed, use my shower, and do my own laundry!

He gave me additional antibiotics to try to get at what's in my lungs and avoid pneumonia.

He's not worried about the fever and said it's part of the revved metabolism as my body tries to heal (goes along with needing to eat more calories).

With bending he said first, don't bend at the waist, use my knees and second, listen to what my body is telling me about not bending.

I see him again next week and he said he might switch up to a different wound care regimen for the open ones as they transition to the next phase of healing. 2-3 more weeks of the Poise pads lining all my incisions to cushion them from the compression garments. Grr.

All in all a great check up. Finally.

Librarian67
on 5/30/18 6:31 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

SO excited that you get to shower and sleep in bed again! Sometimes I just sit on the shower chair and enjoy the water washing over me. Enjoy every drop!

Hope the incisions keep healing!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

CC C.
on 5/30/18 7:22 pm

Thanks so much, Janet! I can't wait. I just remembered my cleaning people come tomorrow, so I need to wait until probably 2 pm for my shower, but it will be sweet...

I just got an email from him asking me to order medicinal honey. So that will be the next step on the wound healing front.

Bmiller13772
on 6/3/18 9:54 am

Wow. I wasn't told not to bend. I live alone, so sometimes I have to bend. I have a cat that needs care. I woke this morning to an open incision! Sooo gross. They told me last Friday 3 out of 4 patients have this issue as the skin in the area of the surgery is already fragile. I am 3 weeks out. Still have both drains ?. I hope the right one comes out Tuesday. It finally stopped draining. I know it's going to hurt, but it will feel so good to have at least one out. The left one is going to be at least another week. I had massive blood loss during surgery, and hemoglobin went down to 7.4. It was only 8.3 last time they checked. Normal is 12-17. I am drinking a protein drink everyday and eating what protein I have. Still run 100 degree temp. This was way harder than they ever told me . I hope it will be worth it?

Most Active