Surgery date 8/20

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/18 1:28 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I had my pre-op appointment this afternoon and they set me up for two weeks from Monday to remove 10 lbs of ugly fat. I said "No, doc, not my head! I just want this excess skin gone!"

Seriously, it went well and I am excited about it again. The doc has a pretty good sense of humor so there was some joking around. He is going to do what he calls an inverted T. Since insurance is picking up a small part of the tab, he said it is non cosmetic. I guess if it is cosmetic, they call it a fleur de lis.

"What's that mean, Doc? You use fewer stitches?"

"No, it means we can't do any liposuction or other things. Most men don't need or want cosmetic anyway."

"Well I'm almost 60, and I have six grandchildren. I'm supposed to be a little lumpy and wrinkly by now."

He laughed.

"What about my fur patch on my chest and belly? (Here's a problem you ladies don't have I'll bet!) I guess it's going to be significantly disrupted."

"I'll see what I can do, but you're probably right."

"Can you graft it onto my head?"

He laughed again.

"Tell you what, I'll split it with you." He's as bald as I am. I explained that I would be telling my four grandsons that I'd been chopped in half in a hideous industrial accident to explain my scar. He thought they'd really get a kick out of that.

Overall it was a very relaxed appointment. He took all the time I wanted for the serious stuff about recovery time, post-op details, potential issues with another medical issue going on right now - no conflict, which relieved me - and brought my wife in on the whole discussion since she will be my nursemaid during recovery. She informed him she didn't really care about fur, lumps, whatever. She's put up with me for over 34 years of wedded bliss. She just wants to make sure I come through it okay.

Oh yeah, I asked about pain medication for afterwards. He blew a bunch of sunshine up my skirt, telling me I looked pretty tough. Well yeah, doc, but I can be a sissy sometimes! He said they make the determination on what and how much after surgery and observing how I am reacting. I guess I'll have to practice looking sore.

It is exciting and a little nerve wracking all at the same time. I've been sewn up more times than I can remember. I've broken all sorts of bones and been to the ER countless times starting at the tender age of 3 years old. But in just under 60 years, this will only be my second surgery, the first being my sleeve.

Ginnny
on 8/5/18 6:01 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Are you also having a breast reduction?

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/18 10:21 am
VSG on 10/11/16
On August 5, 2018 at 1:01 PM Pacific Time, Ginnny wrote:

Are you also having a breast reduction?

I don't really need it. Even when I was almost 500 lbs I never had man boobs, and I am still fairly muscular, so they haven't sagged any more than most men my age who are in reasonably fit condition. It still seems strange to be able to write that, but I am in great shape for my age, and better shape than I've been for years.

I've got some other saggy baggy bits, but I don't really care. They are age appropriate and I am not vain. This flap removal is just that, because it is a huge one, and getting rid of it will increase my comfort level tremendously- once it's all healed up, anyway.

Most Active