Stomach Issues with Glucophage (Metformin)

jlstx
on 6/23/06 10:17 am - Lubbock, TX
I have been on Metformin for about four years now to treat my PCOS. I had alot of stomach "issues" we'll call them and headaches when I first started taking it. I was told that was to be expected when starting this medication. I am up to 1500mg a day now. After being on it all this time I still struggle with cramping and trips to the restroom. "Sorry honey could you pause the movie...I have to go poop". I am just eating the wrong things (surgar/fatty foods?) that are causing my reactions? Dealing with this has become a part of my daily life now. Do any of you still have these issues after being on Metformin more than a year? I know this is not an easy thing to post on a message board, but any response would be much appreciated. Thanks! Jenn
Kristy T.
on 6/23/06 7:19 pm - Stockton, CA
I was on it for 5 years and it always bothered my tummy...unfortunately I couldn't find the "right" diet for it to stop. Fortunately I was able to stop the Metformin the day before I had surgery and haven't needed to go back on it. Anyway...I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone...Metformin sucks, but it does the job it's intended to (most of the time). Good luck! Kristy EDD 8/6/06 33w6d It's a girl - Alice Kay
jlstx
on 6/28/06 11:32 am - Lubbock, TX
Kristy, I posted a big long response to you the other day, and I just looked at the responses again today and did not see it. I guess I did not post it properly. The gist of it was, thanks for the response, can't wait to have surgery ans stop taking these damn things, and it is nice to know I was not alone. Anyway thank you again. Good luck with mommyhood! Jenn
Cristy H.
on 6/24/06 8:32 am - Raeford, NC
Hi Jenn, When I was on it the only way my tummy didn't completely hate me was if I ate half my meal, then took the pill, then ate the other half. I was, and am still pre-op so I'm not sure if this is doable for you (if you are post op, sorry forgot to check your profile) or not. I remember also reading about a different brand of it or something (I'm thinking it had an x at the end or something) as an alternative and it helped a lot of people. Are you seeing any progress or relief in symptoms from the PCOS at that dosage? If not and you've been on it a year, it might be time to '86 it and try something else. Anyhow, I hope this helps somehow. Cristy
jlstx
on 6/25/06 1:23 am - Lubbock, TX
I am pre-op. I have my first consultation with my surgeon July 18th. Can't wait! I have seen "some" relief from my symptoms but I still have the battle with my stomach everyday. I have been instructed to take all three 500mg tablets at once every morning. I have not tried taking one eating breakfast and then taking the other two. I will certainly give it a shot starting tomorrow morning. Hopefully after the surgery this won't be an issue any longer. I just stumbled across the PCOS forum and I have never had the chance to speak to or read other women's day to day experiences with PCOS. Thank you for your response, I really apprciated it. Jenn
Cristy H.
on 6/25/06 12:03 pm - Raeford, NC
Hi Jenn, It's been a couple of years since I did any research or reading on PCOS and no longer visit any support forums for it, but I don't recall anyone taking all 3 at one sitting. I would check with your Dr. and see if you can break it up. Most people start one week on one pill, 2nd week 2 pills and 3rd week your on all three. Maybe they can break it up and slowly let your body get used to the Met. OR even let you take them in 3 incriments during the day. Taking all 1500mg at one time makes MY tummy hurt ;) Also, I just read that someone else mentioned not eating as fatty foods, that was a big thing I read about as well. There is a website called soul cysters, google that and see if you can find the link, if not you can email me and I will get it for you. If you have any questions I'll do my best to help ya out Cristy
jlstx
on 6/28/06 11:29 am - Lubbock, TX
Thanks Cristy I appreciate it! Jenn
lowiclowi
on 6/25/06 1:47 am - Caldwell, ID
I had to take it for a few years and I called them the evil pills. As long as I didn't eat anything fatty or sugary I was fine. The minute I did, well in about ten minutes...it was a race to the potty. Try sticking to your protein and veggies and even cut out the fatty fruits like bananas. Thankfully since my surgery, I don't have to take them anymore....I'm ecstatic!
jlstx
on 6/28/06 11:36 am - Lubbock, TX
Thanks Lori! I am hoping to be part of the "I am throwing away these stupid white horse pills and not re-flling my perscription ever agin" club really soon. Jenn
jeaninne
on 6/29/06 3:52 pm - Cleveland, OH
hey Jenn~ I just wanted to give you a small pointer, I found that if I ate 2 coconut maccaroons a day that it supresses the trips to the bathroom. I know that it sounds crazy, but several people that I know with IBS have used it and they swear by it. What do you have to lose?! they are only a couple of bucks at the grocery store. I just hope you like coconut! let me know how it works for you ! ~jeaninne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1058 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3011 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3618 views