Has anyone with PCOS not lost weight after WLS?

jonesylaine
on 3/5/12 4:48 pm - ID
 Hi - New here and going through posts, but thought I would ask the one that is my biggest fear... what if I don't lose weight?  My history is PCOS + hyperthyroid + adrenal fatigue = weight gain.  I've exercised, take metformin, took the saying "eat less and lose weight" too far and had to work with a dietician for several months to learn how to feel hungry and not feel such guilt about eating.  My eating habits are good, all the work with the surgeon's office to practice eating like I'll need to after surgery has been easy since it's what I've been doing for a while.  But my fear is this - if I already restrict my diet, will WLS help?  Planning on VSG since I want to avoid malabsorption (during my not-eating phase, I had some nutritional issues and am afraid it would be very easy to slip into that again) and surgeon feels like it's a good fit with what I've already done.  Surgeon and PA say that everyone worries that they'll be the one who doesn't lose weight... has everyone here lost weight after surgery?

I'm 5'9", 250lbs.  Thanks :)
ProshopperLinda
on 3/15/12 2:11 pm - PA
 I didn't know I had PCOS until just before I had started with the weight loss journey to the surgery. My weight loss has been slower than others...BUT I have lost weight. The hormones will get better as you lose fat as the fat produces extra hormones affecting the PCOS as you know. It has been frustrating at times but if you follow the rules as far as eating enough protein and drinking your water it will go good! Maybe slow but good! Good luck - when is your surgery scheduled for? I was one of those that felt it would not work for me as I RARELY ever lost weight and I'm down 88 lbs. from 297 to 209 and I'm still on track. Granted, I have a lapband but I wanted a slower weight loss so that hopefully I wouldn't need surgery for loose skin. I'm 16 months out from my surgery but still doing well....you're not restricting eating as much as making best choices...protein first, then veggies, fruit and at the end rice, bread or potatoes...and in that order. What type of surgery are you planning for? Talk to you later...    Linda in central PA.  
jonesylaine
on 3/18/12 3:12 pm - ID
Thanks, Linda!  Surgery isn't scheduled yet - I've got one more monthly visit in April to make insurance happy that I've tried for 6 months to lose weight, then we'll submit to insurance for approval and schedule a date.  I'm doing lipo-B shots and have lost about 5 lbs, so then I get the thoughts through my head that maybe that's the way to go... and then I see pictures of myself and think that surgery is the only thing that will work.  I have to be careful though because if I drop 11 more pounds, I'm below the 35 BMI for approval for surgery.  Like you, I'd rather have slower weight loss so I've chosen VSG.  Your weight loss is so encouraging to me!
ProshopperLinda
on 3/19/12 2:03 am - PA
 Just lose very slowly then - as long as the insurance company sees you can follow the rules for weight loss they'll be happy with that. They don't want to fund it then have you regain. It doesn't hurt to have very little weight loss as long as you have something! If you lose too much wear heavy clothes,,,the old trick of rolls of quarters in the pockets to weigh in I've heard about works. Never had to use it though...good luck.          Linda
(deactivated member)
on 3/23/12 1:16 pm
Good question.  I am three months out and go for a visit next week.  I am going to talk about this with my Dr.  I had RNY.  I lost 18lbs in 3 weeks and since then I have been SLOW.  (I like to say I'm a turtle, but I would like to see more)
kinwy78
on 4/6/12 11:48 am - NE
I am 3 months post op from having the DS done.  I had PCOS along with endomitriosis removed 2 years ago.   I also have fertility problems and have had 1 miscarriage all of this was before surgery.  I have been right on track with my weight loss (but have had other issues).  Currently I have found out that my endomitriosis is back and causing some problems, so I am going to have to go back and have that removed again. I don't think there is any PCOS this time.  We are hoping that with the weight loss we won't have any of the fertility problems, but we have to wait until the end of the year before we can even think about trying to get pregnant again. 

From my highest weight I was 265. My weight day of surgery was 245.  I am currently at about 200. I can't say if I would do it again knowing everything I have had to go through, but each person is different and I wish you all the best. Good luck!

kkaymathis
on 8/8/12 6:05 am - College Station, TX
I still lost weight, but is was slow. And although I have lost a lot of weight my PCOS is still an issue when it comes to fertility.

BTW- I had my band removed and had bypass. Im not sure if that changes anything.
If you want to be happy for life, love what you do.
Mary Higgins Clark

NewtoYou
on 4/21/12 10:54 pm
VSG on 09/10/12
Hi Jonesylaine,

I too have PCOS; my diagnosis came during our years of trying to conceive, and afer several years of trying and working with an RE we successfully achieved pregnancy and now have triplets!  

This too is my main concern!  After so many years of trying to lose with no success; and I am talking about honest with yourself - truly TRYING.    Will this really help me? 

Where are you in your  path Jonesylaine?  Are you having some success?
jonesylaine
on 4/22/12 10:48 pm - ID

Sorry to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one with this worry.  I had PCOS when I was thin, and I tend to lose weight when I eat more.  I'm hoping that surgery will shock my body into responding to food correctly since I've confused it so badly by not eating.

I have not had surgery yet and have just finished my 6 months of insurance required medically supervised weight loss visits.  My surgical request was submitted 10 days ago, so we should hear something back this week.  I expect them to deny it and the doctor's office expects no trouble getting approval, so we'll see.

jonesylaine
on 4/23/12 8:20 pm - ID

Heard from surgeon's office today that i'm approved and we've scheduled surgery for the second week in May.  Excited but nervous.  Hoping so much that I will finally lose weight!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1049 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2998 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3610 views