Glucose Test after Gastric Bypass (I posted this in the main forum then saw this one)

jenysez1
on 1/30/13 9:28 pm - LA

Hi, I had gastric bypass about a year and a half ago, lost 170 lbs.  Reversed my polycystic ovaries and a suprise got pregnant after giving up b/c we tried for 12 years.  I am about to have to schedule my glucose test at the OB and everyone I know that I talked to that had GB got horribly sick taking that test which resulted in a false reading and they ending up having to test there blood like twice a day at home with a monitor and keep log of the results for an accurate conclusion.  I know many woman feel yuck and pucky, but there were telling me fainting, throwing up constantly, severe diarrhea , horrible headache.  Almost all of them told me to refuse the test and tell the doctor you will test and keep log of my blood sugar with a home monitor.  I would love to get more opinions.  I am very nervous about this.  Thanks Bunches!!!

AngelNichole
on 1/30/13 10:26 pm - OH
RNY on 02/21/12

I go for mine tom morn they are having me fast taking my blood and then Eat something sugary that I know I can handle like a glass of milk or juice or a cookie or something and then taking my blood again after .

jenysez1
on 1/30/13 10:47 pm - LA

I am hoping my doctor will allow me to do something like that.  Thanks 

Paula622
on 1/30/13 10:50 pm

I had the sleeve, so I don't dump, but I used the misconceptions of my doctors (thinking all WLS patients dump) to get out of the test.  I did it with my first pregnancy (pre wls) and HATED it.  They let me do a version where I just had to eat a "normal" breakfast and then have my blood drawn 2 hours later.  "Normal" was defined as a typical breakfast for me, so I just had my usual bowl of oatmeal.  They told me that if the numbers were inconclusive, I might need to do the glucose test or a daily test for a week.  Luckily, things were fine with the first reading.  So, there are definitely options if you're not comfortable doing the test.  Don't let them "make" you, or make you feel like you're putting yourself in danger by trying a different test first.  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

jenysez1
on 1/30/13 10:55 pm - LA

Thanks.,  I just got an email back from my Gastric Bypass doctor and he agrees to refuse the test and monitor my sugar at home a few times a day for like 10 days.  He said to have my OB call him if she has questions.  So I printed the email and I will give it to her.  

twert80
on 1/31/13 12:49 am

My OB has a special lab test for us fellow RNYers.  You go have a fasting serum glucose then eat a high carb breakfast wait one hour have another serum glucose drawn then wait another hour and have a 3rd serum glucose drawn.  I works well and i had no problems.  Again as a patient you have the right to refuse any testing you don't feel is appropriate for you.  Good Luck!

Tiff

cryspyx
on 1/31/13 12:51 am, edited 1/31/13 12:52 am - Hartford, CT

i took my glucose test last friday. the vile orange drink is still nasty nasty nasty. i find if i chug it quickly, i don't get sick on it. the first time i did it for an actual diabetes test back about three years ago, i made the mistake of sipping it. it made me light headed and nauseous. this go around since i chugged it, i was fine. it was still gross as all get out but i didn't get sick to my stomach, light headed, fainting or the runs.

i expect that everyone is different. my mother in law was sick for a week when she did it, but this go around, i was fine. i also just realized that our surgeries were very different, which probably also affected the outcome.

Time_for_Monica
on 1/31/13 10:47 am - Levittown, NY

You definitely shouldn't skip the test..  . . I had a gastric bypass almost 3 years ago and I took the gluscose test a few months ago. It definitely does help to chug it. . .or try to drink it as fast as you can. . .I know that in my case even 3 years out I still can't really chug things cuz theres not enough room I had to chug some and then chug a little more ... it was not that bad it just tastes like flat orange soda with a lot of sugar and I didn't feel anything until about an hour to two later when (please excuse the tmi) I felt like I was going to poop in my pants. . .ran to the bathroom and it just all came right out in one explosive poop. . .lol. Sorry. . .but then I just felt a little shake and light headed but not sick at all and as soon as I ate and had more sugar I felt better. . . .I don't know if you know that when you get dumping you feel sick becuase your blood sugar drops so the way to feel better is to have more sugar. I KNOW it sounds stupid and weird, but I read this whole article that my RNY surgeon wrote about it and it really made sense afterwards.. . .so anyway, Congrats on your pregnancy and I hope that everything goes well. Let us know how the glucose test goes for you.

Lilypie - (kDs2) Lilypie - (Ukoq)                            
  Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

jenysez1
on 1/31/13 7:39 pm - LA

dont worry about the tmi, I wanted all the info.  I am happy they are just going to let me test it 4 times a day for 6 days, not that I want to ***** myself all those times, but I will do what I have to do, many diabetics do this for life so I can put the big girl panties on and do it..lol  Thanks

mrs.berry
on 1/31/13 10:21 pm
I took the one hour test and failed it. My dr and I were shocked! She said I could monitor at home or try the 3 hour test. I just had the 3 hour test yesterday and it was an experience! Lol. Probably 5 minutes after drinking the drink I got nauseous and dizzy. They had a free exam room so I laid down. I was really dizzy and nauseous for about an hour. Then with my first blood draw I failed! It was 255! At first my dr said she didn't think the number would come back down enough in another hour but I wanted to wait and see. Sure enough it dropped to 94. They were shocked about that and actually tested me twice to see if it was right. Then my last blood draw it was 64. I told them that's what happens w my sugar at home if I happen to eat too much sugar or carbs, a rapid rise then it falls (sometimes it falls dangerously low). She said my one hour test was probably flawed and I would've passed it too bc my sugar prob dropped right after it. If that's the way your sugar does make sure to explain it out to your doctor so maybe you can avoid the awful three hour test! I was dizzy pretty much the whole time and had to lay down and then go eat immediately after the test.
RNY Gastric Bypass 1/14/11
SW 276.5
GW 150 - met 12/11!!! 
Pregnant w/ #1 due 4/9/13
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1235 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 860 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1322 views