Pregnancy post RNY questions

Jules0225
on 5/9/14 11:56 pm

For those of you who had children post op how did you deal with the weight gain? Were there any RNY related complications? Did you need to take more vitamins? If you had children before RNY was the pregnancy post RNY much different?

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

Eno
on 5/12/14 1:00 am - ocala, FL

Good luck i have been asking this question no one write me or helps lol i got this site from my dr he said ppl will help which was a joke he gave me another site where they are wonderful its called Bariatrics Pal. I wrote something about multivitamins about 3 weeks ago and someone   wrote and said that I need to ask more questions that pop for people to answer I didn't think the site was about that I thought the site was to help any question even if it didn't pop

Jules0225
on 5/12/14 1:38 am

Thanks. I'm active on other boards here so I posted it on the RNY boards too (since that's the type of surgery I had) and got a few helpful responses. I noticed a lot of the boards on here aren't very active. I'm going to check that other site too. Thanks. 

L2D
on 5/12/14 6:09 am - Canada

Hi I had a baby post RNY. It was my 3rd baby, but 1st one post op. I was 18 months post op when I got pregnant and just over 2 years post op when I had him in Oct 2012. I gained about 24 lbs while pregnant and took a great vitamin called preg-vit, it's covered by my health benefits thru work too. You take 1 vitamin in the morning and 1 at night. I even had my Dr. prescribe them to me for the year that I breastfed as well as ever since. They have everything I need and like I said, covered by my drug plan. I lost all the baby weight almost immediately and kept it off for a year, thanks to breastfeeding..but..sadly I have gained all of it back since October 2013 when I stopped breastfeeding :(

Trying for another baby now, which will be baby #4...I have a 20 year old a 13 year old a 18 month old...wish me luck!

Krista1020
on 5/26/14 7:47 am
RNY on 02/13/13

I am also considering baby #3 (this one being my first post-op).  L2D, were you at goal weight when you got pregnant?  I'm just wondering and also concerned about weight gain.  It was good to read that you only gained 24 pounds.  I gained 50 with my first 2, so 24 would be fabulous!

L2D
on 5/26/14 8:05 am - Canada

Hey Krista.I never really rreached my goal weight. I plateaued at 201lbs about 3 months prior to getting pregnant and then gained baby weight from there. Like I said I was lucky to have lost it all with no work..just breastfeeding. .and as soon as I stopped breastfeeding a year later I just packed on the weight.im at 230 now and I hate myself for it. Lol just always seem to be hungry and busy and making poor food choices.good luck!

L2D
on 5/12/14 6:15 am - Canada

Hi sorry, I replied below but just realized I didn't answer all of your questions. I talked about the weight gain and loss...and gain again...but no complications at all. I went to a high risk OBGYN on the advice of my RNY surgeon, and she basically just monitored my baby's growth but sending me for an ultrasound each month..all was fine! I also didn't do the glucose test, instead I went to a diabetes clinic (I didn't have gestational diabetes), but they taught me to test my own blood. So I was given a glucose meter and had to record my blood sugar levels before and after every meal for about 2 weeks and then when that was ok I just had to randomly check my blood a few times a week for the remainder of my pregnancy.

This pregnancy was the easiest of all 3..not sick at all, super super easy pregnancy...he was born at 40 weeks, 1 day and weighed 8 lbs, 2 oz. Smallest of all my babies..the first was 8 lbs 9 1/2 oz and my second was 10 lbs 1 oz. Easy easy delivery too..but they say thats the case as you have more kids.

Hope I answered all of your questions!

Jules0225
on 5/12/14 6:31 am

Thank you so much for all the awesome information. It's crazy to think after so long being told I couldn't to know now that I can is exciting and scary all at once! Good luck with baby # 4!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1234 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 859 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1321 views