Post op pregnancy questions

Lishamc1
on 11/26/17 9:31 am

My husband and I were trying to conceive before I had the RNY. Of course unsuccessfully. How long did you wait after surgery before trying again? How much weight did you gain during your pregnancy? Did you have trouble losing the baby weight? I know they recommend waiting a year to a year and a half before conceiving but just looking for input.

Highest weight: 265, surgery weight: 245, surgery date: 9/11/17 RNY m1: - 26 m2: - 14 m3: -15 m4: -10 m5: -8 m6: - 4 m7: -6.5 m8: - 1.5 m9: -3 m10: - 0 m11: - 2 m12: -0

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/29/17 12:05 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The recommendations are there for a reason, you're best off listening to your doctors' advice rather than random strangers on the Internet ;)

I had my IUD removed 13 months after surgery and was pregnant three weeks later. I had been maintaining for two months and my blood work looked OK, both of which were required before my surgeon would give the OK to start trying.

I was 145 when I got pregnant, gave birth at 191, and was 183 when I came home from the hospital. I've been working for two years to get the baby weight off and it's been incredibly difficult since I lost my WLS honeymoon "groove."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Lishamc1
on 11/29/17 5:26 pm

I plan on waiting until doctor gives me the ok, just wanting to hear stories of pregnancies after weight loss surgery. I am worried about the regain and how difficult the loss will be. Blows my mind at the people who are pregnant 6 weeks or even 6 months after surgery. I had the iud placed a week before surgery because I don't want to conceive until I am healthy enough to carry

Highest weight: 265, surgery weight: 245, surgery date: 9/11/17 RNY m1: - 26 m2: - 14 m3: -15 m4: -10 m5: -8 m6: - 4 m7: -6.5 m8: - 1.5 m9: -3 m10: - 0 m11: - 2 m12: -0

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/29/17 6:22 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've definitely struggled with the regain, but it's 100% my own fault. I was on-track for four months after surgery and lost almost 10lb. After that, I semi-consciously "gave up" and gained back all of the baby weight plus some.

Most people experience some regain at year 2 or 3, mine just happened to coincide with the post-partum issues, which really sucked.

On the plus side, I had a complication-free pregnancy, my son is perfectly healthy, and even though I've gained a bit I can still chase him around much more easily than I could before surgery!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Katiebear291
on 3/17/18 10:08 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

I realize this post is not super new but thought I would put in my experience anyways.

I am about 5 years post op (lost count) and 9 months pregnant.
I took out my iud a year and a half ago or so and we got pregnant fairly quickly but lost that pregnancy at about 12 weeks. I gained alot of weight after that one (20lbs) with all the emotional eating and didn;t lose the weight before trying again.

It took almost a year for my body to recover from that pregnancy before we were successful again. So now I am 9 months along and have gained 30 lbs so far. I haven't had any complications with this pregnancy beyond my lymphedema acting up which happened with my Pre-surgery pregnancies as well so nothing to do with the bypass.

Challenges are cravings though - I wasn't gaining any weight at the start so I mentally gave myself a free pass to eat poorly just to try to pack on some pounds for baby which is a terrible thing to do.

Body image is an issue - I still weigh less than my highest weight and feel more just fat than pregnant. Which makes me sad and then I eat like crap and the cycle continues.
Everything is always a mental game.

Talk to your doctor and make sure you are mentally strong before you try for a baby because every day is a struggle with food when your emotions are heightened and you only want to eat comfort food because you feel so yucky. Pregnancy sucks. It's hard! It makes you feel like crap so be ready.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views